Cadillac CT4-V & CT5-V Blackwing

Oh I gotcha. Definitely get what you mean. Well it’s sort of a tweener even in that sense (Cadillac really loves trying to split the difference over and over in every way they can). So even while Cadillac has told everyone that they really intend(ed) for the CT6 not to compete with the large luxo-sleds (7, S, A8, LS, XJ) but ‘sort of’ go up against the 5/E/A6/GS/XF/etc - and it’s sort of sized up against the old SWB versions of the large cars and priced up closer to the class below. Yea that worked out great.

So then they go and create the CT6-V with a starting pricing over 90k, seemingly positioned above the CTS-V. But then even with it’s higher tech OHC motor V8TT, it made 90-hp less than the CTS-V and was decidedly less overtly sport. In that sense, it almost seemed like it was really intending to split the difference between the CTS V-Sport and the CTS-V (and even then, they had a down powered version available in the CT6 Platinum with 500-hp…). As for the Blackwing, as if GM hadn’t already confused things enough, the Blackwing was really just the nomenclature for the bespoke V8TT which after just a model year or two, found no other home (apparently it didn’t quite fit right in the CT5 engine bay and cost more to build than the more powerful Z06/CTS-V motor that the CT5-V BW eventually got). Later on is when they decided to rebrand Blackwing as the new V since they downgraded V to be what the V-Sport used to be.

1 Like

^ so…clear as mud.

1 Like

CT6-V was underpowered for its brand, but still a fantastic driver’s large sedan. Cadillac/GM does 90s German sports sedans better than the Germans. The new numb German sports sedans do nothing for me compared to previous decades.

Europe’s GM — Opel (German made) make some fine vehicles.

No doubt, but I’m talking about Cadillac vs the big 3

I think these are cool, especially as a gasoline engine, manual transmission “last gasp” effort before they go all electric. But why call it a Blackwing when it doesn’t have the Blackwing engine?

It’s like the Taycan Turbo—why?

2 Likes

GM really botched that DOHC blackwing but they liked the name too much :joy: Still, the 6MT CT5-V Blackwing is going to be talked about long after people stop caring about other automatic super sedans.

3 Likes

how is the reliability? doesn’t have to be amazing but when i was looking at the CTS V wagon it sounded like there was a poor track record. didn’t pay attention after that. kinda like the giulia qv. forum members are convinced it’s japanese reliable and i got a chuckle when the thread anyone without problems went silent for several months.

1 Like

It doesn’t exist, the BW version, and entire CT6 line is dead.

Sounds like a last hurrah - will be interesting to see how difficult they are to actually source.

1 Like

The CT4 occupies such a strange place in the segment. It’s completely mis sized. Cadillac is trying to cover three car segments with only two car models. I’m guessing this decision allowed them to bring the manual Blackwings out.

I’m not complaining… I may consider one in the future.

1 Like

The reviews all seem to be fairly positive but I definitely think this will be another Chevy SS type story where motoring journo’s like it but absolutely no one actually buys it.

1 Like

And query how many/how long they produce them? We will be lucky if they get past one model year.

I disagree. I happen to have a conspiracy theory that Chevy intentionally killed off the SS to shutter the Australian Holden factories because of unions and the costs to maintain them.

The Holden commodore was already being manufactured exclusively in those facilities and making a US spec version made sense from a cost point of view to spread out the cost of having made it in the first place by offering in other markets.

Problem? Chevy did virtually zero marketing for the damned thing and called it just SS. SS has usually been just a trim on cars, not singular models. This absolutely led to customer confusion as to what exactly it was.

I don’t think GMs marketing department is that incompetent. I think it was killed off. It was made for only 3 years, until the closure of the plants.

3 Likes

It certainly has a face I can live with/stomach easier than its German counterpart…

ah c’mon now, we all know that GM, Marketing and Incompetence are just three things that belong together forever.

1 Like

GM has some of the best chassis tuners in the business. Really puts BMW to shame in the areas they built their reputation. Too bad people just care about the badge and not how it drives.

HIGHS: The pinnacle of sports sedans, as fun to drive as a Porsche 911.

“Electrics may be quick, and we might even grow to love them, but they don’t give you goose bumps the way the CT5-V Blackwing’s exhaust reverberating against a pit wall does. There is no doubt that enthusiasts will remember the bigger, badder Blackwing as one of the best sports sedans ever made. Years after it’s gone, its legend will live on.”

“As one staffer’s spouse put it to him: “I don’t like you driving this car.” There isn’t higher praise from an auto reviewer’s better half.”

What do we all think… $1,300/month 48 month/10k miles lease?

1 Like

Unless incentives and MF are similar to purchasing, seems like a purchase rather than a lease. If the incentives/APR are similar maybe I’d lease just to protect from resale value if it’s involved in an accident.