Buying Out a 2019 BMW X5 Lease

I think I’ve decided to purchase my 2019 X5 lease. I’m way under mileage, it’s still in great shape and I’m not interested in dealing in this market. It looks like I’ll need to do this at the dealership as BMW finance won’t do the transaction. My question, is there anything that I should be aware of or consider during this process? I do have 2 payments remaining and I did pay for msd’s. Should I pay this off before my next payments? Thank you in advance!

1 Like

A few responses to a similar recent thread:

1 Like

In the exact same boat w/ my 2019 BMW X5 - lots of equity and the lease is ending in Oct. I also feel like I need to have my guard up. Wondering if I should try and convert it now with rates doing what they will. I am a lady, have 800+ credit and $ - I feel like this is going to be a battle if I have to go to the dealer to purchase. Oh yuck :frowning: Following.

1 Like

Just spoke to BMWFS. I was told they use Refijet to finance their lease conversions. No need to work through the dealership if I chose not to. Only exception to that is if I want to purchase a warranty, etc. I would have to work through the dealership. Again, I am in Texas, so not sure what others are experiencing.

There are dealerships that sell the BMW extended warranty remotely IIRC.

1 Like

I think that would be wise. Likely to be 1%+ higher by the time your lease is up.

1 Like

What are some of those dealership that sell remotely? I am looking to buyout my 2019 X7.

Thanks.

Buying out the car or purchasing a BMW extended warranty (or both)?

You can contact @BMW_Dave on LH as well as search for “buying extended warranty” on bimmerfest, bimmerforums, e90post, etc.

ETA: Dave has the underscore in his username.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Just visited a local Illinois dealership to get the paperwork started. Since we have our own financing this should be pretty simply right!?!? They want us to pay a $550 required inspection fee. Actually told us it’s a state law. I fully expect them to upsell anywhere they can ie. warranties, service contracts, financing. The inspection “law” sounds like bs.

Also a $324 doc fee…

Edit: there is a bs law.

Shop around and maybe you can find a dealer willing to do it for less.

Doc fee and registration costs are what you should be paying, try and get the inspection fee knocked off.

In NJ, dealer will CPO my 2019 530e as long as brakes and tires are good. Giving me $500 loyalty, but then $350 inspection fee, $599 doc fee, plus tags. Buying car at residual - I have no equity in car. CPO warranty good for a year after factory warranty expires, no mileage limit. Will finance at a 125 bps discount to their typical rate (but still higher than local credit union). I can refinance after 4 months (if credit union rates are favorable) and CPO warranty remains.

1 Like

In Southern California, Crevier BMW charges an $89 document fee to process the lease buyout. They collected the taxes and registration fee.

I could have bought the car directly from BMW financials serviced and save the $89 but then I would have had to visit the dmv to pay the tax and get the new registration.

2 Likes

Did they say you can only refinance after 4 months?

Yes, I wanted to refinance after first month since CU rate was lower, but in order to be CPOed, I was told I could only refi after 4 months.

My lease contract says nothing about inspection, but I guess a dealer can say it’s their policy and choose not to work with you.

Something doesn’t add up… where in all those line items is the cost of CPO certification? When you add the $950 between doc and unnecessary inspection, you may be better off buying the car directly from FS.

Besides: Why would you buy a car at its RV if it’s not worth its RV in the most inflated used car market known to mankind?

To add to this, why CPO a car you’re this familiar with? It’s not going to spontaneously combust the second it’s out of warranty

Risk tolerance/preference. I had Audis and BMWs that needed repairs as simple as a thermostat that would have cost hundreds to replace. That can happen with any car. My preference is to not worry about it because I have a warranty. Your preference may be to roll the dice and play the odds. That is fine and the preference we each have. I’m not judging you and expect you not to judge me.

2 Likes