Buy a Hellcat as an investment

Buying a mass produced modern day Dodge as a 4-5 year investment?

This is peak insanity, and not with respect to used car values.

6 Likes

:dart::dart::dart:

I can tell myself the Mac Studio Display I ordered is “for my job”, but truthfully I just wanted it.

Hopefully he enjoys it for many years to come. Hopefully your friend doesn’t learn the hard way how his investment is at risk by every other distracted driver on the road. So far, nobody ever crashed into my portfolio while texting and driving.

8 Likes

Very true, and I know he didn’t buy the durango as an investment, he just wanted a rare fun SUV that can tow his enclosed trailer

Yup. Takes a lot longer than that to see anything and after inflation, the net gain could be negligible. Check out Buick Grand Nationals for example. Some of them go for big money, but it’s a LONG time to wait. Better investments in cars out there. Best to subscribe to Bring a Trailer and Sports Car Market if you want to play this game.

Certainly. You have your [few] outliers but for the most part cars are a terrible investment. There is a fine line between buying a vehicle smart and trying to invest in a vehicle.

These ‘investors’ like to omit the fact that there are costs to owning a vehicle. Registration, insurance, taxes, maintenance, storage etc. are all added costs. Inflation as you mentioned, too. Don’t even get me started on accidental damage.

Let’s say a 1987 Grand National MSRP’d at $30k. That’s $75k in todays dollars. Add in the above for 35 years and you’d be in the car for over $100k.

Cars are not investments…just drive them!!!

2 Likes

The JDM market is what it is because most of these cars couldn’t be legally acquired in the US until very recently. So now you have to hope that there’s one floating around in Japan somewhere that hasn’t been heavily modified or beat to death and then pay to import it. The Hellcat won’t ever be in quite the same position. I do believe however, that American muscle cars will appreciate in value as the electrification wave continues to expand. One of the reasons I was looking into getting an LT1 recently is that like Kevin Costner in “Dances with Wolves”, I wanted to see the frontier before it was gone.

1 Like

If they are well preserved, they are. Even run-of-the-mill 6-cyl sedans get more now than they did new. A good investment? No.

It was an extremely mass produced car, there is absolutely nothing limited about the hellcat and because of that it will take you many years of waiting for people to total / run into the ground their hellcats while you will be keeping yours in the garage in order for it to appreciate. Look at S2000 as example.

What has a better chance of appreciating quicker In my opinion is a Camaro SS with 6MT. Because there is far less of them then Mustangs and Challengers. Also limited chassis # cars such as GT500 or Mach1.

1 Like

I’m talking to him later this week and am gonna figure out what he means by investment, if it just means breaking even then there is a good chance of that or even paying a few grand to be able to enjoy an $80k car for awhile sounds like a win to me.

If you had bought a Demon when they first came out and paid around 80K, today they are going for 130-150K. JB HC’s are gonna be a rare bird, as this is the first year, small allocations and who knows if Dodge will have those next when it will probably the last year they build a car with those engines.

If you put $80k in S&P index fund for that same period time, how much would you have now? I calculated about $133k from March 2018 to March 2022 (as of the 11th). Now factor in taxes, insurance, maintenance, storage, etc. Also, I don’t think many people were able to get Demons that cheap, but I could be wrong. Demon would be best case investment out of the Hellcars that we know about so far, and it isn’t even that great once you run the numbers.

4 Likes

Haha, 150K is on the low side. Apparently you don’t know shite about this car. Most of these Demons have under 100 miles. There are a few listed for well over 175K-200K and over. Only 3300 made.

You aren’t getting that return in the market, especially now.

They made too many and are making too many is the problem

Right before covid I bought 2 mk4 Supra’s 5 speed and one 6 speed TT

Sold 1 right before the jdms became legal :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Other one got wrecked and insurance didn’t pay me

1 Like

Asking prices are not selling prices. Even still, maybe the Demon (just barely) beats the market. The subject of this post is a regular Hellcat.

If you think a car is going to beat traditional investments, go for it. It’s your money.

It’s also totally different levels of liquidity. Go sell your demon in 5 seconds. Can sell as many shares of spy as you want instantly during trading hours.

Not really comparable but everything considered s&p will crush it.

1 Like

thats funny

Kids today are probably into SUV’s not muscles cars and hot hatches.

Over the long term it will be terrible compared to a real investment.

On going cost to keep it road legal

1. Dmv tags
  2. Annual service
  3. Tires
  4. random stuff post warranty
  5. Tint/ppf
  6. Car wash time/ detailing cost.
  7. Gas

Now if it’s for enjoyment. And hope not to lose a lot in the near future then maybe a good option. If it a “fun” car fund that’s going to be spent anyways then it’s a decent choice.

Your friend is better off buying a 996 Turbo or C4S with lower-ish mileage.

Those things are sky rocketing value as other 911 cars have hit stratospheric values, people are looking to less loved 911s for more value. Now is the time to jump on that wagon.

Agree with others, better to just invest the money properly.

1 Like

He’s 30, single, consults for his family’s multimillion dollar company and lives at home

1 Like