Buy a Hellcat as an investment

I have a friend with some disposable money that is thinking buying a Hellcat or SRT Challenger/Charger might payoff in 4 or 5 years since the Hemi will be killed soon. He already has a Hellcat Durango.

What do you guys think?

It usually takes a lot longer for a modern car to appreciate … they are not exotic, they are not rare.

8 Likes

I agree with you i was thinking about doing the same but later changed my mind and on top i don’t have a garage… the amount of hellcats gets stolen in south Florida is insane!

1 Like

Cars are an awful investment. Look at return on a Demon bought new vs average return on S&P or real estate. If you want something that is fun to drive while minimizing depreciation, that should be easy with a Hellcat. You might make a bit. To make a return like a real investment though, I don’t see it happening for a long, long time. You also have to store it and maintain it, insure it, hope nobody hits it…

11 Likes

I told him that he should finance it if he is really wanting to get it and investing the money he would have spent on it. He has plenty of storage space

I’ve actually be contemplating the same…I’m in the process of ordering a Hellcat. As a longer term, profitable investment, I think you would have to wait many years. @RobC2 said it best and that is my exact intention. Worst case scenario, I would anticipate you would come close to breaking even.

1 Like

you think 40 years like muscle cars from the 60’s?

IF it were to happen… I think it would be much later vs sooner.

I would also argue that the dynamics of the car world have changed in today’s world vs. the days of the “old muscle” Some of the old muscle cars have held value because there are people willing to pay to experience the nostalgia of their childhoods, etc. I’m afraid (in general) we just don’t have that type of crowd anymore. This is coming from someone who is obsessed with vehicles.

1 Like

But look at what is happening with 90’s JDM, I am 30 and a huge car guy, those 90s cars are ones were the ones we grew up with playing on Gran Turismo. I totally think there will still be a nostalgic market, probably not as big as it is now, but it will be there. A stock S13 sold for like $50k on Bring A Trailer

Sure, but again, we’re looking at 20+ years in that case…

Was thinking about doing the same for their final year–which I think still has to be decided ? maybe 2023 I heard? Keep it, low mileage and weekend car and if anything, break even like plenty of have mentioned above. Personally never had a V8 and felt that it wouldn’t be a bad entry at that price.

Yeah but times have changed. Kids these days are way less into cars. And of those who are, many are into electrics instead of combustion.

2 Likes

I’m not disagreeing that it is a long term play

I think you are thinking of kids as those 20 and under. All my friends might be interested in electric for the daily but still want something that makes all the right noises for their weekend car.

Most cars from the 60s aren’t worth anything. If you have something super rare like a 426 hemi, yes that can be very valuable. Not sure the hellcat is equivalent.

1 Like

Friends rarely take investment advice from their friends — let alone Internet strangers — especially when they have made up their mind.

8 Likes

I consider a hellcat equivalent to say a Superbee or 440 Hemi car. Agreed that anything with the 318 or 360 is not as desirable

Very true!

Does that make it a good investment though? Continued contributions to s&p would have crushed that over same span.

If you or them want a hellcat that’s totally fine but it’s diff than doing it bc it’s an investment.

5 Likes

That’s why I told him to invest the cash and if he wants a hellcat just finance it. He bought the Hellcat Durango with cash LOL