Brand new BMW 330i totaled

Not to mention “down payment” and “due at signing” gets confused and used interchangeably around here every day.

Unfortunately for the OP, any money up front is difficult to impossible to recover, regardless of whether it’s technically a down payment or not.

1 Like

How does a one pay lease come out in a situation like this?

1 Like

One-pay money is refunded on a pro-rated basis (at least for BMW).

4 Likes

That seems like a poor analogy. You don’t put money down because if you wreck your new 330i 20 days after leasing it you lose all the money. It seems like a pretty good rule to follo almost all the time as opposed to not getting in a car because it is “dangerous”

3 Likes

You don’t get into a new 330i because you could crash and die 20 days after leasing.

Like totaling the car, both are possible, and both are highly improbable.

2 Likes

Are you saying that one has the same chances of crashing a car as dying in a car crash? There are more totaled cars than car crash deaths, obviously.

2 Likes

No, I typed what I meant. Both are highly improbable.

Then again:

Both are unlikely, sure.

1 Like

Did she lose down payment on her house?

2 Likes

Not sure, but I certainly would never risk taking a nap.

• On November 30, 1954, an Alabama woman, Ann Hodges, was struck by a meteorite while taking a nap.
1 Like

I get your point, putting money down and losing it in a total loss is a very low possibility.

Does not make it a good idea to put down thousands, to save a few dollars.

I’m so confused. Putting zero down costs basically nothing. You pay slightly more in interest payments but conversely you are earning a return on the money you hold until you make the higher monthly payment.

This isn’t like not driving or not taking a nap. There is literally no downside to not putting money down. It’s why we always say don’t put money down.

It’s like an absolutely free insurance policy. Why wouldn’t you accept it?

4 Likes

There’s a small downside; one pays rent charge on the extra amount capitalized. With a high enough MF, that can add up a little bit.

On the flip side, there are many more reasons than just losing the upfront cost to not putting money down.

3 Likes

$25,000 down on this lease would save more than $2,000 in rent charges over 39 months.

For me, the money would otherwise be sitting in liquid savings earning ~0.6%, and that’s before I pay taxes on the interest at my highest marginal tax rate.

Yes, I know OP has a 320i, but the fanatical purists keep wagging their collective fingers and yelling, “never.”

Let’s try to stay on topic.

1 Like

What a silly argument! Too much sass too little substance image

You lost the 3k down, unless, by chance, your car is deemed worth more than payoff by insurance, which on a BMW, is virtually impossible.

Work with insurance. You may need to work with BMWFS on the GAP portion, but I’d wait until you get a definitive total loss declaration by your insurance carrier, as well as their provided loss amount.

1 Like

Related to the OP’s situation, someone check my math.

Current BMW MF: .00082 / 1.968%
$3000 down = $83.33/mo
Additional rent: 83.33 * 0.01968 = $1.64
$1.64 * 36 = $59.04 additional rent to roll everything in.

Also, in the unlikely event like this, having rolled tags/title/taxes in, you only would have paid 1/36 on that, so instead of trying to recover your upfronts you only paid out $83.33 in actual utility you got for 20 days, plus $1.64 for BMW to front it.

Also as an aside, if you sold/trade/swap this in month 24, you paid $39.36 in rent but you DID NOT pay (or kept) $999.96 that would have gone to upfronts. $0 DAS shifts all but your monthly payment risk back to the captive (as long as you have GAP).

OP I’m sorry for the loss, but glad it’s just metal and no one was hurt. If you were not at fault, you can ask the other party’s insurance to refund your upfronts.

9 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: California Double Taxes? - Zero Drive Off / Capitalized Taxes on Lease