Stage 2 : Transfer Documents
Documents Email Received: 08/14
Completed & Sent: 08/14
Stage 2 Complete: 08/28

Stage 3 : BMWFS Internal Processing
Stage 3 Completed: 09/15
Final Documents Received:
Transfer Completed:

Once the stage 3 docs arrive, what else has to be done in CA?
Do we have to bring them to the DMV to get registration or is that something that BMW has already taken care of?

1 Like

I transferred a one pay lease to another member here, person who assumed the lease paid the $500 transfer fee using credit card, last week I got a bill for $500 + tax. Has anyone face a similar situation before? Thanks!

The billing system is whacky I remembered getting a bill for first month for my one pay, that it zeroed out.

Hi all,

For the ones that completed the CA to CA transfer, what is the process that needs to be done in DMV? Weā€™ve completed stage 2 already and BMW states paperwork is being processed (5-10 days) to be sent to me to take to the DMV. I noticed that CA DMV has an online transfer, I was wandering if thatā€™s a faster process than going to the DMV. It seems after registering to the DMV itā€™s another 5 days for stage 3 to be completed which I can finally take ownership of the vehicle correct? TIA.

TX to MI
Stage 1: Transferee Credit App
Applied: 8/3
Approved: 8/3

Stage 2 : Transfer Documents
Documents Email Received: 8/4
Completed & Sent: 8/4 (FedEx next day)
Stage 2 Complete: 8/11 (would have been earlier but BMWFS were waiting for monthly payment to complete)

Stage 3 : BMWFS Internal Processing
Stage 3 Completed: 8/21
Final Documents Received:
Transfer Completed:

2.5 weeks, would have been 2 weeks without BMWFS waiting for the monthly payment.

1 Like

Stage 3 email is good enough to hand the car over. DMV registration comes after that, not before.

2 Likes

Does the new lessee have to go to DMV with the paperwork sent by BMW in stage 3 to register the car?

Yes absolutely

Thanks Sharksfan. Do you know if all of the DMV paperwork can be done online? Thereā€™s a title change online form, not sure what else is needed to be done.

Thereā€™s no title change. The bank owns the car. You have to register your car I think you have to go in person.

If one were to make an early payment would it expedite the process?

They said to me if the payment date is within 5 business days during Stage 2 it wonā€™t complete until the monthly lease payment has processed. I received an email to say there was an issue with the transfer which was really that they put it on hold pending the monthly payment. I called and told them to take the payment early and it completed within a few hours.

I paid mine a week early and magically got the stage 2 completion email within a couple of hours.

1 Like

Anyone completed a transfer lately? Iā€™m listing my i8 and Iā€™m hearing they are being very strict on credit and taking much longer then normal

Always stricter on transfers, I donā€™t know if itā€™s increased recently though. I just completed a transfer within 2.5 weeks. From what I read the issues were with some of the DMV offices being closed a couple of months ago, I think that has passed though for most states.

1 Like

Yes mine went fine @Jrouleau426. completed 8/14. Took about 26 days total.

3 Likes

if the transferor removes the registration and plates when the transferee comes to pick up vehicle, how does trasnferee legally drive car? Transferee still needs to wait for Stage 3 documents, then go into DMV, then get it regsitered, and then wait to get registration/plates. Who keeps the car during this gap period?

1 Like

Mine took a little less than 4 weeks. I have good credit but itā€™s for an i3 one pay, substantially less money involved not sure if thatā€™s a factor.

1 Like

When I transferred my bmw, I kept plates and insurance on past stage 3. The person who took over went to dmv and got plates after putting insurance on car. Basically car had double plates and insurance. If something happened to car in my possession would be interesting on what to do. I can tell you I would have went thru my insurance Bc I believe in karma. But nothing happened and everything was smooth

1 Like

thanks good to know. I am looking to be the transferee and I donā€™t know if the transferor is willing to leave plates on while I take car and then get my plates and send their plates back. Trying to figure out how to make it work. I read in NJ they could issue a 30-day temporary plate but finding out how to do that these days with DMV impossible to get on the phone is not easy.