BMWFS Lease Assumption Process and Timeline

Same here I am the transferee. Will be picking up the car in Tennessee and bringing it back to NJ. As far as Taxes go I know for sure when you go to DMV to pay for the taxes you will have to pay the taxes up front.

Can anyone that has done a CA to other state transfer clarify the title/registration process?

The seller is residing in TX with the car (I am also TX) and we are beginning the stage now.
I am hoping that he will not be required to have to go into a CA DMV. Can BMWFS obtain the title themselves?

It looks like at some point in Stage 3 I am able to go ahead and register the car in TX.

Thanks in advance.

You could tow vehicle if absolutely needed. I believe that we should all work together. Your doing me a favor taking my car and an extra week with plates and insurance shouldn’t be a deal breaker. But I guess sometimes ppl suck

agreed that makes common sense, just never done a transfer before so not sure how it works logistically. I guess I need to ask seller if they would let me keep plates for a week or so and I would mail them back. Guess we’ll see what they say, but thanks for input!

1 Like

What website is everyone using to find someone to take over their lease? I just listed on Swapalease. About how long does it take usually to start getting inquiries?

1 Like

Changes personally I wouldn’t let you keep my plates. No offense but I’m responsible for anything that occurs. I can’t take insurance off untill my plates are received by nys. If you were to kill someone or commit i crime I could be held liable.

1 Like

AZ to AZ
Stage 1: Transferee Credit App
Applied: 8/4
Approved: 8/4

Stage 2 : Transfer Documents
Documents Email Received: 8/5
Completed & Sent: 8/5 (USPS next day)
Stage 2 Received: 8/6
Stage 2 Rework Paperwork: 8/12
Completed & Sent: 8/13
Stage 2 Complete: 8/25 (Both parties had revisions which slowed down the process)

Stage 3 : BMWFS Internal Processing
Stage 3 Completed: 8/27
Final Documents Received:
Transfer Completed: 8/27

3.5 weeks, would have been 2 weeks without BMWFS requiring stage 2 rework.

1 Like

I got Inquiry on first day, buyer submitted credit application and started the process with BMFS on Day 1.

1 Like

Mine took nearly 2 months. They’re at a crawl pace. There are different variables though depending on whether or not they have the title, same state, different states, etc.

Hi All,

For the recent CA to CA transfers, how have you guys completed the required DMV paperwork since DMV offices currently don’t allow walk-ins or appointments?

Mine has taken about two weeks so far. Completed stage 2 on 8/27. They said stage 3 email will come this week. Worst part was getting 6 apps declined before this one being approved.

I’m interested in similar info. I asked a question a few posts up… Turns out BMWFS told the seller that it will take 4-6 weeks just to get the title

Not sure if this has been answered or not. Is it possible for the Transferee to bail out of the lease transfer at any point in the stages?

Until they’ve signed the lease assumption paperwork during Stage 2 and sent to BMW they can bail but lose the $500 transfer fee.

According to BMWFS, they can bail anytime before getting the stage 3 complete email. I asked for the down payment as soon as I got the stage 2 complete email.

All,

I received misinformation from DMV. I decided to just go to the DMV office today and they do accept walk-ins. No appointments can be scheduled online currently. The process is that you would wait in line in the morning and they would hand out tickets. They will then text you when you’re allowed to come in the office based on your ticket number. Can take about 2 hours before they contact you. Fortunately, they were no longer giving out tickets and recalled a member stating AAA can process the paperwork. Although when I contacted AAA previously, they mentioned they don’t do lease transfers. Took my chance went to the closest AAA office (you must be a member) and they were able to process all the paperwork in less than 10 minutes!

1 Like

I just finished stage 2 today (9/9). The person who is assuming my car wants to have the car picked up within 3 days to ship. Is it safe to ship the car? I’m not sure what is supposed to happen for stage 3 since it’s just for the buyer.

how long did stage 3 take for you?

I received an email that stage 2 is complete today (9/9) and BMW will ship out final paperwork within 5 business days. The transferee is wanting to send someone to pick up the car tomorrow (9/10) or (9/11) to begin shipping. Should I ask for them to wait? I feel pretty uneasy about shipping the car while it’s still “legally” mine.

I would wait for the stage 3 email.

1 Like