BMWFS Lease Assumption Process and Timeline

I don’t have any firsthand experience, but this could be a helpful running thread.

it’s time-consuming to go through dozens of old BMW transfer threads trying to piece this together, and the existing info won’t have a consistent format.

Obviously, over time, the more recent posts will be most relevant, but the older threads will add some context.

1 Like

The state(s) where the buyer and seller live might be relevant

State: CA to CA
Credit App submitted: 5/11
Credit Decision: 5/11
Step 2 Email received: 5/12
Step 2 Documents received back by BMWFS: 5/14 (sent overnight on 5/13)
Stage 2 complete: 5/20
Step 3 Documents Received: assumption complete email 5/27

I will add that the my transferee messed up the Stage 2 docs twice, so the time between BMWFS receiving the docs and stage 2 being complete may be less.

3 Likes

What mistakes did he make twice during Stage 2?

Printed the paperwork double-sided :joy: second time it was proof of address

3 Likes

I think I may be dealing with his cousin?!? Lol
I haven’t heard boo from FS in two days since the first email regarding stage 2 docs were received. I’m thinking something must be up with his set. He also hasn’t reached out…hmm

Mine was January 31st from app submitted to February 17th email received that transfer was complete and I could release the car. This was signing everything asap and returning it via USPS priority mail

Do you know, how long CA DMV took to send the registration back to BMW

I received an email every time BMW received a set of stage 2 docs, so you should receive 2 emails total. If you’ve only received 1 saying they received a set of docs, then the other person hasn’t sent theirs in or didn’t do next day ship.

I believe I read somewhere that BMW requests the DMV paperwork as soon as you begin stage 2. If that’s the case, then I’d say 2 weeks. If they request after stage 2 is complete, then I’d say 1 week.

No, we both overnighted and they were both received. This isn’t my first transfer, and I am just surprised I have yet to receive the second Stage 2 email confirming both received and Stage 2 completed.

BMW did request from DMV as soon as the credit app was approved (Stage 1), which in my case was on 5/13 , waiting on DMV as of today - 5/28

That’s crazy! Is that what’s holding all of us up, CA DMV???

I submitted the credit app yesterday at 1:24 pm. I have not received a decision yet. From the timelines I am seeing here. Is it approved the same day or actually take 24 hours?

this thread should be merged with this

1 Like

Update on my app:

Transfer CA to CA
Credit App submitted: 5/27/2020 1:24 pm Pacific.
Credit Decision: 5/29/2020 1:08 pm Pacific (Approval)
Step 2 Email received:
Step 2 Documents received back by BMW FS:
Step 3 Documents Received:

I spoke to BMW FS. They have halted new lease assumption applications because of how many they already have. They said once these are completed and we have lesser workload we will start again. Does anyone know what documents are sent out for Step 2 for the current lessee and what documents are sent out for the person assuming the lease.

Also, at what time should I send a check for the MSDs? They person assuming the lease is asking for it before he mails out Step 2 documents.

Are you assuming the lease or is someone taking it from you?

I typed up a “contract” and sent it over to my transferee through docusign saying he would pay me the MSDs on the day I would give him the keys to the car. I made sure I had the document signed before mailing out the Step 2 documents. Imagine you send the check and he never mails out the Step 2 docs… not likely to happen but we live in a crazy world.

Setup escrow with escrow.com for less than $100 per person for piece of mind on msds.

1 Like

I am assuming the lease. Can you PM me the matter of that contract? You are right, its not like but we do live in a crazy world.

Escrow is another option.