BMWFS Lease Assumption Process and Timeline

Agreed with all the above - you should not pay the next monthly payment unless the transfer has been completed - what is the transferor going to do, cancel the transfer? Then he would be on the hook for the payment and would have to start this whole long process over with someone else.

1 Like

Just for those interested on the daily updateā€“they are still finishing 9/30 stage 2s todayā€¦they hope to be on 10/1 tomorrow and then 10/2 ā€œsometime next weekā€. I am at 14 BDs today, so much for getting approval ā€œthe latestā€ by todayā€¦good luck to anyone starting a transfer this month.

1 Like

This is BS. Youā€™re told today for 10/2, no later. Iā€™m told tomorrow for 10/5 no laterā€¦ and here we areā€¦ waiting for ā€œlaterā€.

It is frustrating for sure. She said they had more than 270 transfers at stage 2 from the 30thā€¦they need to add more people at the $500 a pop transfer fee everyone is paying.

3 Likes

Itā€™s clear that theyā€™re falling more and more behind. This doesnt seem sustainable. Why dont they just:

• Get more resources, and/or
  • Focus on the later stages and less on the earlier stages so the backlog doesnt get worse.

Thereā€™s a third option no one likes to sayā€¦ they may stop transfers entirely (which they did in the early covid days). Itā€™s been discussed before and is a possibility. Or impose transfer restrictions like VW/Audi :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Called bmw and they said best thing they could do is to delay the next month payment for another 10 days. They encourage me to check back after November 3rdā€¦

Just another update - finally got my stage 3 yesterday. So the final timeline for my CA to CA transfer was:

• Stage 1 (Credit Approval): 9/15
  • Stage 2 Docs Mailed (Overnight): 9/16
  • Stage 2 Awaiting Title Email: 9/28
  • Stage 2 Complete: 9/30
  • Stage 3 Complete: 10/21

I called in while waiting for stage 3 to ask about the insurance requirement with stage 2, and they said I could cancel it (since stage 2 had already been completed), and just get it again when stage 3 completed. Saved me a whole month of insurance payments. YMMV and you may want to check in with an agent before doing the same.

Iā€™ll also agree with whatā€™s been said, itā€™s crazy to pay for a car before the stage 3 complete email comes in, since itā€™s not your car until then.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity - what car are we talking about here? That great a deal or that desirable a car?

Asfar86 You are a transferor? What would you say in my case that letā€™s say Iā€™m taking over your lease and I have been paying monthly payments. Would you allow me to have the early possession of the vehicle? Letā€™s say Iā€™ll give anything for collateral. We are only 30 miles apart.

Sorry but I would say no wayā€”until the deal is official itā€™s still not your car, thus the transferor is still liable on it. Same reasoning why you shouldnā€™t pay the monthly payment before it is your car.

Yes thatā€™s understandable. Thank you for your feedback. Iā€™m just going to sit tight and hope those big 270 transfers are done so they can process a little faster after this. They also told me they are in the process of training additional officers to help out sorting docsā€¦

The update today is they are now working on 10/2 assumptions today. They already finished 10/1 so are catching up. I am supposed to hear later today or ā€œMonday at the latestā€. I am assuming Monday.

1 Like

Hoping they get yours doneā€¦ and start 10/5 :pray:t3:

1 Like

You should call them too just to hold them to their word.

Final timeline!!

09/14: Credit app submitted and approved
09/15: Stage 2 Docs received
09/16: Stage 2 Docs sent
09/22: Stage 2 Docs received (UPS had delays deliveringā€¦)
10/05: Stage 2 complete. Stage 3 paperwork to be sent within 5 business days
10/23: Stage 3 complete!!

1 Like

Scratching my headā€“I am a 10/2 stage 2 and still nothingā€¦

@Joelomag must have jumped the line somehow or by accident.

Nothing to scratch your head about. Should be today or Monday for you.

1 Like

@Joelomag how much did you bribe them with :rofl:

1 Like

Well I did ask ā€œany chance you guys can just work through lunchā€¦ Iā€™ll send some jimmy johns to the office if that helpsā€. And while on the phone with them I got the emailā€¦ Who says you canā€™t buy your way into things :joy: