BMW X5 45e Plug-In Hybrid deals

I’ll do 4.5% on a 40i gasser.

Appreciate the offer. Probably doesn’t get me far enough to make it worthwhile vs. the $7,500 tax credit, lower cost of gas annually for the 45e unfortunately.

1 Like

Yeah the X5 45e is a great value in the segment class with the incentives available so I don’t blame you.

1 Like

Word on the street is the new 50e being released later this year is getting a 100 hp bump.

Not before 2023 calendar year it won’t.

Expected production of April 2023

Sorry always get confused with new BMW model years being produced mid year.

Any idea when the order banks open up?

From someone who has had a plug in hybrid for almost three years (Cayenne), don’t buy into the market hype of the X45e and feel “lucky” for getting a car at MSRP because gas is $5 a gallon.

If you’re purchasing or leasing an X45e and paying sticker or above, it will most likely cost you significantly more than going with a non plug in X5.

The car is not fully electric and you will be lucky to get 25 miles on a charge. Unless your driving habits keep you somewhat close to home, you will burn some gas most days. And as time goes on, the battery will hold less and less of a charge.

Also you will need to get a 240v line installed and purchase a charger for your house. That’s a couple grand right there.

And the cost to charge, it ranges from 14 cents to 30 cents per kwh depending on where you live. So charging your car is obviously not free and might be closer to the cost of a gallon of gas each time you do.

4 Likes

Is it keeping the fake M?

Thats the thing. Prices are almost the same, discounts are negligible. X5 hybrid will potentially get you $7500 back in taxes. So why not go with the hybrid?

2 Likes

I’ll present the other side of this owning a PHEV for 4 years (Chrysler Pacifica PHEV):

I had a short commute, less than 10 miles round trip (including a short lunch trip). Then maybe misc 5-10 miles for around town errands so I used less than 25 miles a day.

You can overnight charge that on Level 1 (110v) without needing a L2 charger. In the 4 years I owned that minivan I gassed up maybe 8 times? The increase in my electric bill was less than gassing up 2.5 times month (pre insane gas prices).

Add in the $7500 Fed credit… and there is a difference.

We now own 2 EVs, both still overnight charging on 110v. Works well for us.

YMMV.

9 Likes

That is exactly as advertised - why would anyone think otherwise?

1 Like

Addressed the short commute vs longer commute in my original comment. If you have a short commute, less than 10 miles, then yes, you can run on electric 95% of the time and see some savings. But that doesn’t apply to most people.

The 25 miles on a charge isn’t worth the premium you pay for the car. If you want to overpay for a car, you might as well get a fully electric car (either i4 or iX). Then at least then you’d have a chance to recoup the premium you’ll pay in todays market over the long run.

You can definitely get discounts on the 40i. What I mentioned above was based on experience both owning a competing plug-in and shopping for an X5 to replace my 2nd car, an M550 coming off lease:

Back in Jan, I priced out both the 40i and 40e and it wasn’t even close. 45e was MSRP for an order or over sticker by a few thousand for one that another customer passed on. The tax credit only applied if you bought the car.

(For comparison, when I leased my Porsche in 2019, they gave me the full $7,500 tax credit as cap cost reduction. It was a softer market then and they bent over backwards to make the deal work. Not the case any more)

For a 40i, I was able to custom order the car I wanted and it only took 9 weeks to arrive vs 5-6 months I was quoted for an 45e order. I locked in the Jan programs, I was able to get a discount, apply an OL code and get the BMW Car Club of America rebate.

All in all, my payment is slightly less than 1.3% of MSRP with drive-off, which is pretty good for this market (but not as good as the 1% I had for my M550…those were the days).

2 Likes

Here is where I disagree with you. Imagine a simple case of X5 of 70k MSRP. Leasing isn’t really working for BMWs right now, so this calculation is based on financing.

For the 40i, lets assume a 5% discount, which would roughly equal $3500 in savings.

For 45e, assume a 0% discount, you’d still get the fed credit, and in CA, the clean fuel rebate totallying $8250. You would pay a higher tax, suppose 10% on the 8k, so lets remove $800 from there. The net discount off MSRP is aprox $7500, which in this case, is still twice the the discount.

The OL code, and CCA rebate is same across the board.

There may or may not be any realized gas savings. I see you still come out ahead FINANCIALLY. Is it better to drive thu? Probably not

45e resale values are also a bit better than 40i. Though I suppose that’s a potential negative if using it as a S179.

1 Like

I get that when the battery drained the plug-in is less efficient because it has to haul the weight of the battery, but you must have to have a really long commute for the battery to be a net negative.

Thanks for the great replies and insights everyone.

Trying to confirm total rebates and incentives avail:

$7,500 tax credit end of year
write off 100% depreciation against taxable income
$750 credit from state? Is this applied against the purchase price?
I currently have a 2019 BMW 540i so loyalty credit? How much is that?

Anything else I’m missing?

Thanks!

1 Like

Assuming that this is a business purchase?