BMW X1 xDrive28i vs RAV4 XLE Premium

No comparison. The RAV4 is a miserable car to drive. If you want to look at a Japanese car more comparable to a BMW, you should check out the Mazda CX-30, CX-5, or CX-50.

1 Like

I just had a RAV4 a few weeks ago as a Sixt rental. While it is likely something I would never purchase myself, I don’t see anything horribly wrong with it. It drives OK enough, has a fair amount of space, and gets stupid fuel mileage.

I’ve never been much of a fan of Mazda, other than the obligatory rx7. Rx8 were decent cars in their prime, but the rotary is far from bulletproof. Other than that, it’s mostly a brand of economical garbage imo.

Toyota will mop the floor with BMW, in terms of reliability. I’ve never been a fan of the budget class German models either, so pick your poison. :grin:

2 Likes

You’re only confused because you don’t have the conviction to prioritize your own priorities.

Instead you’re letting the internet do what it does, and gaslight you into prioritizing other things.

You’re going to have to make up your own mind. You can do it.

5 Likes

Thanks. I like that system, its a whole lot better then the usual BSM alerts.

Was looking at the X1 as well. This was the first dealer deal response. Ouch. This is at MSRP with no discount not MAV.

Many dealers don’t have them on their lots yet.

1 Like

I believe ours is significantly less than that.

3 Likes

Anyone who signs this needs their head examined

3 Likes

If you thought this is crazy, check out other posts here where people are paying $8k mark up on a RAV4 hybrid, $15k for a Sienna, and $20k for a Sequoia.

3 Likes

Exactly, a simple search on LH will find brokers with up to 6% off on the new X1.

Example above by a broker, is 6.5% off Launch Edition.

3 Likes

Thanks. What I’m looking for are experiences from RAV4 owners since I’m not familiar with the model or brand and it’s hard to find one to test drive in the next few months.

1 Like

May I ask the delivery timeframe if order a x1 now?

Should have by January if we catch a November allocation assuming no stop sales.

1 Like

RAV4 has standard ACC(adaptive cruise control), part of TSS feature, great for long road trip, so far you can’t option ACC in the new 2023 X1 for some reason, maybe chip shortage.
RAV4 has better speaker compare to base 2022 X1 speaker unless you get HK sound which I highly recommend. Maybe they improve 2023’s base speaker, gotta go in and take a listen once they land.
Gas modal RAV4 has this stop&start system which you need to turn off every time, since it will reset every time when you turn on the car. Hybrid won’t be that noticeable.
For X1, or any BMW, it’s easier to use Bimmercode to program it to remember your last setting so you don’t need to hit the button every time.
Starting 2022MY, RAV4 is able to display individual tire pressure, X1 has that as standard.
X1 does have the package for auto folding side mirror, RAV4 doesn’t, you will need to go up to Venza for that.
X1 drives better than RAV4, but since it’s front bias torque steer is pretty noticeable, but not as bad as GLB/A.
X1 is quieter compare to RAV4.
X1’s interior is at the whole new level, you will need to compare it with NX…
Sit in the X1 and listen to the door close, you will feel lot safer in there compare to R4’s hollow door…
If you want to lease, try X3, it’s older so higher % of discount easily, so far 10% before incentives shouldn’t be a problem. 2023 X1 is too new, dealer most likely won’t give that much. At the end their payment should be pretty similar, you can also option rear door sunshade for X3, good for sunny so-cal weather :sunglasses:

1 Like

Dropped a 740 for service in august? last year and they said all they had was a mini or an x1… x1 was fine but disappointed with the loaner for a 7 series.

X1 is basically a mini. The wheels are so small but it was a decent car for what it was.

1 Like

Second this. It’s a better car than both of them.

I prefer the Tucson.

You won’t find that here. What you’re apparently going to find is some people gaslighting you into thinking that your no. 1 priority isn’t important at all.

Edmunds and Cars.com have plenty consumer reviews in addition to their own editorial.

Had a 2019 RAV4 limited for about a year. Noisy cabin, back would start to ache on longer drives(2hrs+) and no real seat adjustment for the front passenger. Decent gas mileage (30 mpg). Oil filter change was about $30( 5 qt jug from Costco and Bosch/ Toyota oil filter) . Had one recall to fix the fuel pump. Dropped the car off, shuttle took me home and picked me up once it was done.

2 Likes

Jump into the vehicle/model forums on the interwebs (rav4 world, bimmerfest etc). Its slightly one sided, based on the minority of vocal users, but you’ll see trends emerge and find real long term reviews.

Hot shot clickbait central car jounos both established and YT variety are really not that great of a source of information since they always have a limited time experience, and frankly their requirements for a vehicle are sometimes outlandish. One youtuber uses a “door thud” test as a metric for quality…smh

1 Like

Had a 2022 Rav4 hybrid that I used a few months before flipping. I hated that thing. Loud on the highway. Felt like I was driving a boat. Gas mileage was alright (37-38 real world).

In terms of your goals, rav4 is what you need. BMW has everything you don’t prioritize.

3 Likes