BMW M Track Days

Has anyone ever done a BMW M Track days event before? At 495 and 995 for a half/full day, respectively, this ain’t all that cheap, but it does sound like a lot of fun, and perhaps a great way to check out a bunch of M cars with some guidance. Worth it, though? For anyone who’s done it, would you recommend the half or full?

I am a bit curious if they’ll run into any public event related scheduling issues w/ NY, but the Monticello one is still at least a month out.

BMW Link

Not a terrible price if it is BMW’s car that you are driving. I did an Audi one before that was a 3/4 day (serviced lunch and dinner) for around $400, but you had to bring your own car and most HDPE track days are in the $200-$300 range for a full day. But for their price, you don’t have to worry about beating up your car.

If you can afford the full day, do that one. No reason not to since you are already at the track and who cares if you beat up their cars.

1 Like

That’s a good deal depending on how long you’re actually on the track for. Full track day on your own car and you’ll be out a set of pads/rotors and brake fluid change at minimum. Man do I miss that blue brake fluid that NHTSA decided was illegal :cry:

1 Like

My first track day was in my 2018 S5 and I had maybe 1000 miles on the car at that time. I warped the rotors and destroyed a tire even though I had an instructor with my the entire time (2 hours of track time). Luckily, I was able to get the rotors and pads replaced under warranty (perks of working at the dealer) and tire and wheel insurance covered the tire.

But reading through BMW’s website, my guess if you will have about 20-30 minutes of a lead/follow session for the half day and maybe an hour for the full day since it includes the M2. I might actually sign up for this since I will be visiting my parents in CT that week.

Well given that the full day includes the M5 and I get to spare my G05… that may have to be the way. 🤷 Thanks! Just sucks that they aren’t doing the full day on either weekend day, but I guess it’s probably less popular anyways.

Their waiver has a nice COVID release, though. I get that it’s likely boilerplate, but coming to terms with this new normal is… Interesting. :pensive:

'AN INHERENT RISK OF EXPOSURE TO COVID-19 OR SIMILAR COMMUNICABLE DISEASES EXISTS IN ANY PUBLIC PLACE WHERE PEOPLE ARE PRESENT.

COVID-19 ESPECIALLY, IS AN EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS DISEASE THAT CAN LEAD TO SEVERE ILLNESS AND POSSIBLY DEATH. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS EVENT, YOU VOLUNTARILY ASSUME ALL RISKS RELATED TO EXPOSURE TO COVID-19 OR OTHER SIMILAR COMMUNICABLE DISEASES’

I did M track days @ Monticello back in Aug 2018. One of the coolest things I’ve ever done.
I did 150+ in an M4 competition during lead follows. They only charged $250 for the half day back then. 2019 onwards they made it $500. Honestly worth every penny. If I did a track day in my personal M4, the insurance is like $590 for the day + cost of fuel, tires, track entry etc.
Even at $500 it’s a bargain, although I’m thinking of going for the full day one (which was $750 back in the day)

Also they almost exclusively only gave us M cars…here’s a pic from the lineup

2 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Yeah that just sealed the deal. Good stuff. Thanks!!!

1 Like

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves:

7 Likes

What track is this?

Can non BMW owners do these?

The Ridge Motorsports Park, 1.5 hour drive from Seattle.

1 Like

I believe so.

1 Like

I do find it somewhat comical that AMEX thinks BMW M is a small business, but an FYI for anyone else signing up for this - might as well put it on an Amex charge card if you have the offer!

Anyone else from LH joining? PM me! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes. M car owners usually get a free voucher for these events so anyone paying is generally just the public.

I did the AMG full day driving school a few years back, it was a treat.

5 Likes

Did M track day at Monticello on 2019. My experience is just OK. The track drive with M4 and M5 were totally ruined by someone in our group. It really depends on who you get in your group, 4 or 5 cars will be set to one group following one instructor, and the instructor will adjust the pace based on the SLOWEST car. One of the driver seems just got his/her license and was accompanied by his/her mom, basically our group were just walking on the track and enjoying the view. When we were driving the M4, we got lapped three times by the M5 group.
The drag race and m2 auto cross were good, but each section is only like 10 to 15 seconds.

Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

I have a voucher from the CS that I haven’t used yet and am supposed to receive one for the 8 which I haven’t gotten yet. Thanks for posting all the pics, definitely want to not miss the opportunity. From what I heard, the voucher that comes with the car needs to be upgraded to full day for like $50 or something. I can’t remember exact details but they are available somewhere on bimmerpost. Also, CCA members get 15% off, so might wanna sign up for that.

1 Like

Wait that’s not for this. The voucher is for M school @ Spartanburg or Thermal.
That’s much more involved I think

It’s not free. I’ve owned an M3 & an M4.
While in certain instances BMW has given it for free to lucky people, that’s not the case for 99% of M car owners.

2 Likes

Monticello is a fun track, just feels a bit in the middle of nowhere

Did a Lexus event way back when the ISF was being introduced

My friend got it for free with his M2, if it’s not free for most M car buyers then that’s just bad marketing from BMW