BMW IX Loaner Car

Drove one of these at a BMW event in Vegas. I wanted to hate it. I couldn’t. It’s excellent. Ugly, but excellent. While not exact, it seems like the iX is as long as an X7, as wide as an X3, and as tall as an X5. My wife and I loved it but we have been a BMW family since 1996. By far the ugliest one ever, but ridiculously competent, especially with the adaptive suspension.

4 Likes

Drive one. It’s more a $100k car than the model x which feels like it’s been put together by grade school kids on acid.

4 Likes

Now that’s a visual.
Art Love GIF by Trippyogi

2 Likes

I need to try the Taycan Sport Turismo. Don’t need something that expensive, but when you gotta haul the groceries, you want something that hauls!

1 Like

iX is absolutely hideous. I want a Taycan 4 Cross Turismo.

BMW debuted their first good looking EV, the iX1. But they aren’t bringing to the US. People running BMW right now have completely lost it.

4 Likes

The fact they turned this into loaner is interesting. Someone didn’t offer $25k over msrp?

1 Like

There’s extra subsidy per diem for loaner iX, and i4.

Good luck finding one for less than 15k over new. I’ve just about given up on flipping Taycans (too high a payment for my taste).

Does that mean people pay extra to get an iX or i4 when they drop their car for service?

Had one for a weekend. Pretty cool. I missed having paddles and lack of control. I’m not sure how the '21 wheels came in at that sticker price. I thought that you needed to package up or at least be charged?
The interior is lacking luxury for me but dash is great.
I’m not a fan of a fixed roof.
Many blind spots.
Factor in charging install.
Factor in charging convenience in trip.
With that said FAST for sure and I am looking at the I-7 prototype. Front looks like an RR Ghost to me.
I drive an M5 now and had a Taycan turbo which I got rid of for a 911 turbo S due to convenience.
Have a basic but optioned X5 and a mint '78 911 turbo…no power anything and a clutch that does not forgive and gearbox with no forgiveness but the “whisp and pop” of a great gear change is everything!

No. BMWNA compensates the dealer extra over base subsidy for every day the vehicle is BVA’d to prospective customer or loaned out for service.

1 Like

BMW’s problem with the iX is that they’re competing against the Model X rather than Model Y.

I suppose that’s a matter of economics and what it cost them to develop and build the iX, but it would compete better at ~ $60k IMHO. Falcon Wing Doors provide immense value.

What value do they provide?

1 Like

Flexing on your neighbors and making the teachers at school pick up turn their heads. Nothing says “I’ve made it” like doors that open unconventionally. It’s scissor doors for the upper middle class.

7 Likes

Guilty as charged.

Expression Reaction GIF by Steve Harvey TV

3 Likes

They’re expensive and cool, justifying the price tag.

Tangible value is debatable.

The Model X Tesla has become a very low volume vehicle… It’s definitely old news…

I’m not a big fan of the styling…reminds me of a minivan…,

….

Production is ridiculously constrained for the Model X currently.

The world needs BMW to make an EV SAV in the $60-70k price range. That’ll crush the Model Y.

In addition to all the serious things the world also needs :joy:

4 Likes

The rest of the world has it…it’s called the iX3. If they put a bigger battery in it, it would be a serious contender.

3 Likes