BMW i4 eDrive35 or Tesla 3 performance?

Ok, so clearly this is an odd comparison, since the M3 performance would be more comparable to the i4 M50.

But, price wise they are stacked differently.
(Perhaps because Tesla changed pricing mid year, who knows)

Lease prices on both of these seem on par (ish)
Any reason not to get the Tesla performance version and opt into the i4 35?

What kind of ownership/lease experience are you looking for is the better question. It’s truly night and day.

TBH, I don’t even really know where to start as someone who has both brands in the garage. Many would use service as a major sticking point, which it is.

M3P-
Faster straight-line performance.
All wheel drive
Better S/C network
Cheaper with autopilot standard
Can watch netflix and tiktok.
Lots of aftermarket customizations
Easier for first time EV owner.

BMW I4-
Better fit and finish
Better luxury/comfort
More dealer/service locations
Better (when paid for) 360-degree camera and DAPP
HUD and driver side dash screens
Supports android auto/apple carplay

I think the biggest factor is how you intend to charge. I couldn’t imagine depending on the EA network.

6 Likes

@IAC - valid points.
my last 4 cars were BMW’s, so I’m well familiar with their service and interior quality.
honestly, I’m very happy with it and like the included maintenance for the 3-year lease.

my current car is the 530e AWD - which I have no complaints about. Except for the deteriorating range of the charge over time. but heck, perhaps it’s how all-electric cars would behave.

I spent only few days with a tesla 3 standard and the Tesla S.
the 3 standard interior felt more of a subaru than a bmw/audi/mercedes.

having said that, the performance on the M3P is tempting, esp with the racetrack nearby :slight_smile:

@IAC - how would you compare service for tesla vs BMW?

charge wise, my plan is mainly at home - the local energy company has a flat rate home charging plan, though it would be nice to be able to charge it on a long trip via the network

Age has a lot to this as well. If you’re 25, you probably will be just as comfortable in the M3P, and you’ll want the power and speed. If you’re 50 (like me, yes I’m old AF), you’ll really appreciate the i7, but the i4 will be ok, at least better than the M3P.

One of my neighbors is a retired helicopter pilot (Air Force colonel), and he’s had the M3LR since 2018, and he really likes it.

1 Like

If you want luxury with a nice ride go with the i4; if you want 2005 Kia sorrento build quality with so so ride quality but good charging go with Tesla

This year we did a game of musical cars - swapped out a 2021 model 3 performance and added a i4 e35.

the obvious change was swapping acceleration but garbage interior and trash service … and replacing with a great interior, 360 camera park assist, driving aids that don’t phantom brake, great service, but slow.

The less obvious change is the steering and general driver feel of the i4 e35 is weak. BMW has boosted the steering input on the i4 and the result is the car feels disconnected from the road and the bmw feels very twitchy vs the model 3 performance. The brakes are equally finicky and poorly dialed in.

The i4 is rather unsatisfying to drive compared to say a 430 or 330. Even an iX e50 feels way better to operate in spite of its heft. But of course the BMW is much more satisfying to ride in because it’s not a bleak rattley hellscape inside.

You’ll definitely want to test drive an e35 before pulling the trigger.

2 Likes

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Deconstructing the BMW i4 National Lease Offer

Unless you’re deadset on going to the track, I would get the BMW. Straight line performance is good, but wears off IMO. And if you’re really planning on going to the track with the M3P, plan for new tires before the end of the lease, if lease.

1 Like

I would take the bmw. You will feel cool about the torque for a few weeks, then regret on getting the piece of rattling plastic crap for years.

1 Like

If you’re planning to use the charger network regularly get the Tesla.
If you’re not… Looking at the Tesla lease we’re paying about the same for our E-tron GT. Those deals seem to have passed for now but I suspect they’ll come back.

We swapped our Model 3 for the E-tron; the Audi is far superior excepting range, charger network and efficiency.

Etron deals were great!
Not sure they exist at this point anymore.

One pay 16k 1 year/ 7.5k on an RS with CA tax is still available. Not sure where the regular ones are. So yes, nearly double what was once available on regular E-trons but worth keeping an eye on I think if you’re flexible on timing.

Time will tell.
I’m on the east coast though.

@djrabbi look at the crap we get to deal with here in California

In which case you need to budget for a lot of mods (tires, brakes, coilovers, etc).

Please don’t spend money on the M3P for the big track. Autocross ok, though even there I can’t consider it fun. Fast, sure, but the Model 3 is at its core an appliance designed to drive you, not a sports car designed to be actually pushed by an enthusiast, and it’s very un-rewarding IMHO when you do so. I’ve taken virtually every car I’ve owned to a closed course, and the M3 was the least rewarding bar none. Could you dump a bunch of money into it to make it less bad? Sure. Will it cost you a fortune and leave you with a car less suited and less fun at the track than a base Boxster? Yep.

Let’s be very honest and clear here. No one debates an i4 e35 vs model 3 to take to the track…

Yes the m3p will be a lot faster straight line but the fit and finish is miles apart on the two. So do you want a fast tin can or do you want a luxury car