Deconstructing the BMW i4 National Lease Offer

Finally a useful list, I was cross shopping the Ariya and the Taycan. Can finally buy the Ariya knowing it’s the better EV.

11 Likes

I agree with the first one on the list.

Validation for how much I love driving this damn thing.

Off topic, totally irrelevant - At least you spelled “brake” right… the other one is yoke/yolk :man_facepalming::joy:

2 Likes

lol I’m on my phone and it originally put “break” - I had to edit my post.

Tell me more. What makes you feel the DAPP has been better than Autopilot?

I wonder if the extra couple hundred pounds of battery really makes the difference because I don’t feel any of the above with the i4 40e on base wheels.

To be fair, I don’t experience twitchy feeling nor squirrellyness in the 35e we have in the family either.

1 Like

I prefer the steering wheels controls used by BMW over the column lever used by Tesla.
I prefer not to have half my main display taken up with something I don’t watch.
BMW still using radar, which I think helps reduce phantom braking.
BMW lane change part of single DAPP package-- Tesla requires EAP or FSD.
Easier to defeat BMW steering wheel nags and no real eye tracking on I4.
Easier to provide input while DAPP is engaged without it shutting down.

Don’t get me wrong, for free, Autopilot is a great value. BMW should be embarrassed to sell cars without ACC. OTOH, for the cost of DAPP you essentially get the best of EAP at 1/3 the price.

2 Likes

I love seeing ads for “break” jobs.

1 Like

Agreed. Absolute nonsense.

What about the core function of the driving? How does DAPP compare to Autopilot, with driving, steering, lane centering, obstacle awareness, max speed, etc.?

Yeah my wife actually took the i4 e35 in for service because she couldn’t believe how unsettled it felt when turning compared to a normal BMW or her model 3 performance. We have the 19” wheels too.

Anyway, wouldn’t recommend the e35 if someone’s coming from a performance model 3 unless they did a test drive. M50 is the way to go.

1 Like

I wonder if there is something wrong with your i4. I’m on my 3rd i4 (1 with 19s, 2 with standard 18s) and they all drive like regular BMW sedans. I’ve also had several Teslas (S, 3 M3s, 2 MYs).

East Bay BMW had the car for a week.

They said the i4 e35 was tuned like a RWD model 3. It isn’t supposed to feel like a BMW. They added if you want a proper BMW stay with ICE or get a M50. Shrug.

I mean the e35 is drivable, it just feels way over boosted on the steering so it feels floaty/airy/twitchy. Not attributes of BMW IMO.

I usually attribute some of the steering complaints with the e35 to lesser optioned models that don’t have the variable sport steering from the dynamic handling package or Msport trim. Full disclosure, I’m driving an M50.

Yeah I was buying off the floor so no M sports. All I could get was DAPP and the park assist.

Btw @Ice on e35 look for the ZDY package.

Like this insane priced one @IAC has.

1 Like

Tracking is next level… but the Model 3 Performance does fine with snappy lane changes, going down a windy highway road, or otherwise just merging with traffic at speed.

The problem my wife encounters is that the same snappy lane changes, curves in roads, and merges in a BMW i4 e35 feel squirrely. She hates how the car responds to any steering input that puts any stress on the chassis. The same actions in the loaner 330i or her old 328i are great.

I kind of see what she’s feeling … the BMW i4 we have has steering feel more like an Infiniti M37 sedan.

I have I4 X drive 19" rims.
It gives me 160 miles for %80 at 45 F in Boston on the console.
Is this normal?

Your EPA rated efficiency is 340 Wh/mile (xdrive w/ 19s). Better to compare this number to your average. I’ve found the range is never accurate at first startup, it adjusts as you drive, especially when cold and not pre-heated.

Sounds like alignment. It might be in spec, but it can still cause issues, especially as you approach toe out. I assume the dealer checked it when you brought it in, did they give you the alignment sheet? Tires/ pressures would be the second place to look.

Should I preheat all the time?