BMW Demo Residual Issue

I have been working on a deal for a 2019 M550i with 7,067 miles and have been grandfathered into the May program. I need to take delivery soon to avoid losing the deal.

I agreed on DAS and monthly payment over the weekend, and finally received the lease contract last night.

MSRP is $80,245, so the LH calculator is adjusting the residual to $40,888 on 36/10 lease. Residual would be 60% (or $48,147) on a new car.

The lease reflected the same payment and DAS I agreed to over the weekend, but the residual calculated in the lease is about $2,000 less than the residual from the LH calculator. Net difference to me about is $50 per month.

The dealer claims that the residual is reduced 9% + $0.30 per mile. I have always seen a 7% drop and $0.25 per mile residual reduction for the mileage of this car.

Did the BMW program change? I’m fairly certain the dealer can’t play games with the residual, but I want to avoid the headache of the lease being rejected/re-worked later once processed by BMWFS.

Leasing loaner above 5k miles is not a good idea. You do not get any rebates.

Once you hit 5k miles, you lose all rebates/incentives and the residual takes a nose dive.

I understand all of that and am happy with the ~25% discount from MSRP. My only point is the residual calculated by the dealer does not match the calculation described in the LH wiki and the LH calculator.

As far as I know, RV hit is 9% if it has over 7500 miles. The mileage adjust is usually $.25/mi, but maybe it’s $.30/mi on higher end vehicles.

Can you post the lease worksheet showing the mileage and adjusted RV?

As long as the payment terms outlined is what you agreed on, then I really don’t see the problem. Leasehackr calculator isn’t always 100% accurate.

Agree. The lower RV should result in a higher payment. If the dealer is keeping the monthly and DAS amount the same, just sign the contract. If BMWFS rejects the deal, make the dealer eat the difference. They will not want the 2019 back.

1 Like

.30c is probably right since they are treating this like an “M” car

I can post the lease, but it doesn’t show the MSRP. The MSRP is $80,245 and the residual on the lease is $38,957.85

Good point.

If you like the deal & the payment just swing for it.
Make it evident to the dealer that if they screw this up, they are eating up the differences.

Also so can we please have more info?

At the min: monthly payment, total drive off, term and whether or not your doing MSDs
so we can compare the datapoint w others

If you post the entire deal, we can probably see where you’re getting screwed too.

Make sure you compare the numbers to a 2020

I think you should be fine. Just enjoy your new car

Have you verified the mileage? Maybe it was outdated? If you calculate 9% RV drop and $.25/mi for that loaner with 8368 miles, the RV comes out to $38,957.95.

Appreciate the review. Details are below:

2019 M550i (7,067 miles)

MSRP: $80,245
Selling Price: $60,018
MF: .00118 (base)
RV: $38,957.85 (adjusted from 60%; see above)
36 / 10k
Incentives: None
Cap Cost Reduction: $1315.46
Monthly: $690 before tax
DAS: $3,000
No MSDs
LH Calc Link (adjusted): Manually Adjusted to Match Dealer RV

LH Calc - Using “Correct” RV Reduction

SO not a bad deal per se.
Thing is, did you run numbers on a new one?
Here’s a broker deal off here on a 2020 M550 same MSRP

Essentially this one is $661+t…you’re at $639+t
similar drive offs and terms.
Except the 2020 is on the June program, you won’t be getting the 2 month pmts
That residual hit plays a big role. Your driving a loaner essentially for a net benefit of $22 per month and the two payments + $400 difference in drive offs. At this point it’d be a personal decision for you whether you want a loaner or a new car.

I don’t think that’s a good deal for the loaner. You are getting 25% off, but then you lose 9% RV, mileage adjustment is ~2.5% and incentives is ~4.7%. Taking that into account, you could get the same deal on a 2020 with with a 8.8% discount off a new unit.

Precisely. & the deal that I posted is calculated at 10% off MSRP, and base MF. Qualifying for loyalty.

Thing is, it’s not unheard of to get 11% or even 12% off on these.
Could probably do more than 12% on a leftover 2019.

Personally I’d skip the loaner and go the new car route.

No more lease support on 2019 M550.