BMW 330i Lease Return with only 6000 miles. Do I have any bargaining power?

Yeah I’ve been talking to him

Did you ask El Monte, they’ve been blowing up my email box with ‘MSRP deals’

You always have to verify those. It can be an MSRP deal but isn’t really if there’s $3k-$6k of mandatory nonsense dealer adds.

1 Like

Mandatory nonsense has always been there. ADM is relativly new.
I was just curious if they are blowing smoke in my email box.

Just saying $2k of ADM may be better than $6k of garbage addons.

They’ve definitely gotten more cavalier with their garbage addons of late. Especially as it allows them to backdoor into ADM and still claim ‘no markup’

MSRP is meaningless. It’s literally a made-up number.

What dollar price would you be paying and what features would you be getting?

So I bought a Honda Accord Sedan Touring today! I went to Autonation’s Honda of Valencia website and saw that they had the Accord Touring car actually in stock which is one of the cars I’ve been looking at. They were also one of the only dealers I’ve encountered that were very open and upfront about their markup listing it on their website in plain view. They add $1898 worth of blessings(floor mats, door edge guards, cargo tray, and cup holder phone accessory). It’s not ideal, but for comparison, I went to look at a Civic Touring at Keyes Honda on Van Nuys and they were charging 5k ADM and 3k of blessings. I walked out without even test driving it.

I’ll post my deal specs to SIGNED! later but the meat of it was:
2022 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T
MSRP: $39940
Blessings: $1898
Total: $41838

Now I don’t know if the following was all sales tactics but I called today to find out if it was actually in stock and they told me that it had just arrived and was supposed to be reserved but the buyer had backed out. I set an appointment to come test drive it. Apparently, someone else had come in while I was driving there (it’s about an hour away) but because I set an appointment I had first dibs at driving it and chance to buy. Could be blowing smoke up my ass, but there was literally two other people who were waiting around the office eyeing the car, one of them came up to me before I drove it to ask if I was buying it.

One nice thing was that since it was an Autonation dealer they honored the estimate I was given for my BMW lease and I was able to roll the 9k equity straight into the purchase so no money down required.

I did ask if they could take out the weather mats etc, but they didn’t budge and I didn’t push too hard since like I said there was literally a customer in the office waiting for me to pass on it.

A slight wrinkle was that I was texting with Jeff from Beach Cities who advertises on this site. He was really helpful. He texted me about a Camry XLE he had at MSRP while I was driving to the Honda dealer, but it didn’t have the option package I wanted so I let it go. He also handles Honda and told me that I was looking at 3-4k mark-up minimum on a Honda so felt more confident in paying 1800 over was a “deal.” Ended up financing with Bank of America since I had a pre-approval from them and it was 2% lower than what HFS was offering.

Some post purchase thoughts: I feel pretty good about the buy. I don’t think I got a steal, but it was the best price I found on a Honda and it’s a top of the line trim. For what I paid, I probably could have maybe negotiated down a BMW 330i base, but I feel kind of wary of buying one of them as opposed to leasing. My new accord has more bells and whistles than my 2019 330i which is to be expected, but there are some things I miss. The Honda infotainment system is a bit lackluster and the screen is small compared to the BMW’s. I’m also surprised Honda doesn’t have an app. Even Hyundai has an app now that can unlock and start the engine, etc. In fact one thing Kia and Hyundai do real well is pack their cars with tech that you have to pay a lot more for in a Toyota or Honda, but Honda and Toyota have the better reputation so…

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s a good car, and I’m sure everything you did was smart, but I don’t think I could go down in brand from driving a BWM to a Honda.

1 Like

It was a bit hard, and there was a part of me that wanted to bail on the sale and go to the BMW dealer down the road(also owned by Autonation). I mean a 330i is an entry level luxury car so I probably wasn’t getting the real experience of something like the M line or 5/7 series, but I can tell you my new honda drives just as well and has a good amount of “get up and go”. I’m not really a car guy so horsepower and torque numbers don’t mean much to me other than more is better. I’d be surprised if I hang onto this car for all 5 years if the market starts to cool down I might switch back to a BMW down the road.

I think your deal sounds pretty good in this market.

My first car was Mercedes, my second car was a Mercedes, my fourth car was Mercedes. I went straight from that base 2012 C250 into a 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen, and the transition was remarkably easy.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.