BMW 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Terrible timing for a lease. I’m in GA as well with a 330i to turn in. I won’t even consider getting a new lease right now. But keep hunting…

I thought people were getting ripped off pretty bad before the virus, now it’s just ridiculous, 800 a month for a glc lol :joy: I can’t take it

You have to be willing to pick the car up at that very moment or else they will never think your serious, tell them you have multiple offers on builds for the same vehicle and that you rather not wait for a build to come, if they match the deals you find on the forum then take it and don’t look back.

Agree on you, and it is “wasted” time to negotiating with dealers. Please let me if you find any good deal (:з」∠)

I’m not sure, but for what it’s worth, I think the second column may have a typo and should have said 39 months. Either way, not a good deal. Good luck!

The best offer for X3 xdrive I get is CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR from a broker. Is it possible to make more progress with dealers based on this deal?

What’s the $500 taxed incentive? Is this OL code? There should be $1000 lease cash available for X3.

IDK. It is a quote from broker.

You are already at 512 monthly before you put up the Taxes titles and fees, which is way over 1% rule. I didn’t need the calculator to figure the deal was not worth it. I don’t know if you could do better by yourself, but if you had to take the deal then it’s not the worst.

I’d refer you to @mllcb42 leasing 101 in earlier post in this topic. Also there is no 1% rule.

There is also BMW leasing wiki: BMW Leasing Wiki which is a great read.

I hear you. Turning in 330i this week. Ordered 4xe instead.

How is there no 1% rule, if you know how leases work it is almost the only thing that is universal when evaluating a deal

This has been discussed many times before. Here is one such topic: Truth about infamous "1% rule" - #46 by NeedaMustang.

I mean come now, don’t tell me that it doesn’t work for evaluating lease deals. I mean of course the calculator on the forum is much better and I am new to it myself, but am capable of doing the numbers in my head like everyone else. The 1% rule only works on brands that don’t jack up the MF and have decent RV, ofc it will never work with brands like Porsche or Range Rover, they lease horribly no matter what.

I know someone paying 1600 for a base 911 right now and they think they got a steal :joy:

The 1% rule is completely useless. It doesn’t tell you if something is or isn’t a good deal. It’s a made up rule of thumb that doesn’t hold up to the simplest of evaluation.

Forger you ever heard of it and learn how to actually evaluate if something is a good deal.

Sometimes 1% is an amazing deal. Sometimes 1% is a horrible deal. Never is a deal good because it’s 1%.

When two people can get the exact same discount in the exact same car, and one person’s deal is 1.2% and the other person’s deal is .7%, you should know everything you need to know about the validity of using a percent of msrp as a target.

The problem is people are looking for a shortcut metric to inform them of the validity of a deal and it just doesn’t exist.

A better approach for looking at the validity of something like the 1% rule is to ask “for a rule to be useful, what do we need to it to tell us?”

If that’s the question, I would say it would need to say one (or more) of the following:

• Is this a good deal on the car? (Meaning how does the deal compare to what is possible on this vehicle currently)
  • Is this lease a good value? (Meaning how does the deal compare to other competing vehicles)
  • Is this better to lease than buy (Meaning over the period of the lease, it would cost less to lease than to purchase and sell)

Now, let’s caveat this with one more assertion: it would also be helpful if the rule applied to at least a good chunk of the people that want to apply it.

So let’s look at each of those…

• Is it a good deal for the car?

It certainly doesn’t tell us that. All one needs do is look at the vast change in incentives and regional pricing to determine that. I’ve seen incentive swings between two people of $10k before. Two people can get the exact same discount, but because of incentives, be hundreds apart on the monthly payment. Throw in regional taxes and you can literally have the same deal be off by .5% of msrp per month. Further, even when incentives are standardized and taxes/fees are ignored, what is a good deal for a vehicle varies wildly. On some cars, 1.25% is essentially impossible. On others, .75% is mediocre at best. There are definitely times when 1% is a good deal, but it varies by month, by person, by region, by vehicle, etc. A stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Is the car a good lease value?

Obviously as payment as a % of msrp decreases, you’re getting more for your dollar relative to msrp, but so what? Some brands have a marketing strategy where they inflate the msrp and then offer large incentives so you feel like you’re getting a deal. Others don’t subvene their rates to hold value. There isn’t some magic % where this suddenly becomes a good thing.

• Is it better to lease than to buy?

The argument that gets used often with the LH score is that it gives some inclination as to when it makes more sense to lease than to buy. This, of course, assumes that you purchase at msrp with no incentives, no taxes, no fees, no interest, etc. The problem is that it doesn’t actually compare the lease terms against the financing terms. When the msrp gets subvened by significant incentives, a % of msrp number is suddenly a % of a completely irrelevant number.

So here’s where that leaves us… We have a rule that isn’t applicable to a variety of people, doesn’t tell you if something is a good deal, doesn’t tell you if something is a good value, and doesn’t give you any insight as to if leasing is a better financial decision.

So maybe if you’re looking for a bmw 330, in North Carolina, in January, after leasing a previous bmw, joining bmwcca, and are named jason it applies; but you’d only know that after actually calculating and researching, which is exactly what you need to do to actually answer any of the above questions.

This could be said at any time. This is precisely why we can get lease hacker deals. MOST people are getting hosed at dealers most of the time. That is just a fact. If everyone was trying to hack leases no one would be able to.

This is exactly right. I’ve told this to people before, though I still hate to see people take it in the shorts by a dealership… :laughing: BUT thanks to those of you who do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.