Between 2 used cars: '16 GMC Terrain vs. '19 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (Hertz)

Yeah, even at MSRP/buy rate it’s not a bad deal. If your region has the extra dealer cash even better!

Possibly, a $17k U vs a $19k N and he was looking at a 16k pos, spend a little more and get a car that isn’t a POS

Going and blindly asking the dealer how much they want you to pay isn’t going to give you a sense of what you could actually lease one for.

1 Like

That’s not how that works.

Seriously, take a giant step back and spend some time learning here. You’ll save yourself thousands of dollars and more importantly, might save your future marriage.

7 Likes

First off, what does my marriage have to do with this? Do you get off on being a smug piece of shit to random people on the internet? Go fuck yourself you fucking loser

Second, on the math - OK i’m off by a few %. I would have been paying $23k for a car with MSRP of $31k to return it in 3 years. Are you trying to take into account dealer markup? This dealer doesn’t charge one. I’m pretty sure you need the learning here buddy.

Worthless piece of shit get a life

That’s not how residual value works. You should probably read Leasing 101 before baselessly attacking someone who has been here for years. Not very classy at all.

6 Likes

You have a fundamental lack of understanding of how leases work. That’s fine, we all have to start somewhere. Take the time to educate yourself using the resources here and you’ll save yourself a ton of money moving forward because you’ll be able to approach the transaction with the dealer as an educated consumer.

4 Likes

Dude!

1. mllcb42 is not a smug piece of ****, I can name at least 2 other posters here who are that, but never mllcb42, he’s a straight shooter.

2. There are many posts where someone gets deep into debt and it ruins their marriage or marriage prospects, we don’t want you to become one.

3. Going into a dealer and asking this is like wearing a sign ‘RIP ME OFF NOW I NEED A CAR’. A better way is to email them, or ask / pay a broker here to do all the negotiations.

4. You might want to look at an older car like a Kia Soul 2015 or something that isn’t from Hertz, because car rental companies tend to sell cars beat to heck by the renters.

5 Likes

To be fair, I wasn’t pointing at his finances as a marriage issue… just putting someone in a gmc terrain. I wouldn’t subject my worst enemy to one of those willingly.

3 Likes

Which is worse a Terrain (which honestly I’ve driven and I think is a POS ) ,or those Toyota Rav4 you keep renting

1 Like

I’d happily take a rav4 any day of the week. @trism hates them with a passion, but I think that’s because he just hasn’t seen how deep the hole goes.

2 Likes

Ok - apologies peeps, especially to @mllcb42. I’m highly emotional and stressed right now after 12 hours of car shopping/internet searching/driving all simultaneously has made me go absolutely mad.

I’m sorry I don’t understand residual values. I’ve had it in my mind that it’s value of the car at the end of the lease term and you can imply the % by knocking off your total lease payments off the top. As a finance background this is embarrassing.

Second - because we need this car in the next week I have gotten desperate and will do a more thoughtful outreach via email to various dealers. If any brokers are in the norcal/SF area, I’d be happily willing to pay for services to avoid this stress. I will look into this as well.

1 Like

There are several
https://forum.leasehackr.com/tags/intersection/marketplace/CA-NorCal

Though make sure they are local and not ship you the car from SoCal…or Drive to the SoCal ones so you get a good deal.

3 Likes

Just skip the research this time and get a broker. Take it easy, you have enough going on.

I’ve reached a lot here and I still use them because to me it’s just not worth my time. Maybe I’m not doing it right, I dunno, but it’s well worth the money for me. I enjoy the hunt until my kids interrupt me for the 100th time while I’m drafting emails.

1 Like

No worries, I’m not easily offended. I appreciate the apology though.

We often run into a dunning-kruger issue here with people that aren’t well versed in the finer points of leasing, and they can take the tough love that often is found here much more personally than it is intended.

The residual value is the agreed on final value of the vehicle, however, your payments are made up of multiple components… You’ve got some that goes to paying depreciation as the value transitions from the adjusted cap cost to the residual, but you also have a non-trivial amount that goes to the rent charge and to taxes.

As an example, some of the Nissan frontier leases right now have a 99% residual value and are being sold at under msrp. That means 100% of those payments is going to rent charge, taxes, and fees with not a single cent going towards depreciation. Likewise, other leases have very low money factors, and as such, nearly no rent charge, so most of the money goes to depreciation.

Think of it like an interest only loan.

If you’re on a timeline and starting your lease education from scratch, a broker will be worth their weight in gold.

8 Likes

A camry isn’t $650 a month without markup.

They may be hiding the markup in back end products, doc fees, vin etching, nitro fill, max markup on the rate etc.

Just because the selling price is MSRP doesn’t mean you’re not getting taken to the cleaners.

This thread reminds me of the accord guy.

6 Likes

Apparently, I am though. Appreciate you being helpful and responsive despite my baseless rudeness.

I will message some brokers now.

3 Likes

You picked two trash cars. Get a used accord or camry that fits your budget.

2 Likes

Alright, so this will placate you hard-to-please hackrs… @mllcb42 - this one’s for you - my marriage is definitely starting off in the right foot haha! :wink:

After receiving some tough love on the GMC and Mitsubishi (and me throwing some embarassing tantrums along the way - see above my old posts for how not to behave), I was back at ground zero. Fortunately, a fellow user in @fatsocells kindly PM’d me, probably out of a mix of pity and sympathy, to offer up some advice and pushed me to pursue the Frontier 18/10 deal. Walked me through the process to get res/mf from Edmunds, helped with dealer strategy, etc…can’t thank him (or her) enough!

Ended up with the 18/10 at 99 residual for the Frontier 4WD S Trim - the dealer was the only one in my 50 mile vicinity charging at/below MSRP. Ended up with all in payments of ~$230/month - WELL in my fiance’s budget!!

I’m glad I stuck with it even though the dealer reach-out was a HUGE pain in the ass. Despite emailing every dealer, I made the rookie mistake of giving out my phone number…which apparently means they will COMPLETELY ignore your email and request and just bombard you with generic sales calls and push you to come in. NO thanks

This forum is amazing thank you all

15 Likes

You saved money and your future marriage all at once. Well done.

4 Likes