Between 2 used cars: '16 GMC Terrain vs. '19 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (Hertz)

Lol no that would not be good. But beggars can’t be choosers…we just need the thing to work for a couple years for her 5 mile roundtrip commute each day. People are acting as if buying anything but a Toyota/Honda is a money pit. Is it really the case that anything non-Toyota/Honda is breaking down after 5 years/60k? I don’t think so. Realize I’m rolling the dice w/these options but that’s what the bumper to bumper extended warranty is for?

1 Like

It’s not that anything but a honda/Toyota is a money pit, it’s that those two are literally the worst vehicles I’ve ever had the displeasure of driving (well, the Mitsubishi eclipse cross is slightly worse).

And then, to add insult to injury, you want to buy ex-rental car iterations of them.

2 Likes

Can’t find a Kia Soul around me for below ~$30k MSRP which is egregious

2 Likes

Haha - neither of them drove very well that’s for sure. The GMC felt like it was driving a huge truck for a car not bigger than an X3. The Mitsu was somehow worse that struggled to drive above 20mph

To clarify though - only the Mitsu is an ex-rental. The GMC is a 2 owner ex-private use.

1 Like

This doesn’t make any sense.

You’d give up Toyota Safety Sense or its Honda/Kia equivalents for “more ground clearance”?

You’d give up a brand new powertrain with brand new tires and brakes to put her in a shitbox that could leave her stranded?

4 Likes

Yes - I would rather drive a bigger GMC over a Corolla equipped with Sense or Civic/Soul. Put them on a bender with anything on 101 or 280 and I’d take the GMC every time.

So by that logic - is anything but a brand new car with a brand new powertrain/tires/brakes a non-candidate? Ok smart.

A 2-3 yr old Soul is $17-19k, and that would be a lot better value than the other 2.

I think you’re underestimating how incredibly shitty these two cars are

4 Likes

No, but the two cars you chose are shitboxes.

4 Likes

Do you understand the concepts of collision avoidance and mitigation?

1 Like

Does not make much sense to me getting an SUV for that reason, but it is your money.

Good luck finding something in your price range. I am out.

You can understand all the concepts you want but in the case that a Corolla with all that tech comes head on with an SUV - you have fun being totaled in a car knowing that you understand these concepts very well!

Good call I will look into this

Lol I can’t even be offended. I realize I’m dumpster shopping here. Just wanted that dumpster shitbox to not breakdown in 18 months.

2 Likes

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?#listing=316543359

Is this by any chance a slightly better option than the Mistu / GMC?
It’s a used Nissan CVT…but at least not a Mistu/GMC…

I bet you could find a tuscon or something that would work

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=95661&selectedMakeId=m28&maxPrice=18000&selectedModelId=d98&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&distance=150&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d98#listing=310952418/NONE

There is nothing terribly complicated about the Frontier deal. Start shooting emails to all Nissan dealers in reasonable distance and work your way outward further and further as needed. Plenty of threads around here on how to shop a deal. You find one or more in their stock and write an email explaining you want to lease stock number xxx using Nissan’s current 18-mo numbers of xx% RV and .00xxx MF. With just $xxx total due at signing, the monthly payment should come to $xxx including all taxes and fees. And stress you are willing to close immediately.

I just got back from a Toyota dealer and wanted to get a sense of leasing. I asked for no downpayment lease options a 2022 Camry LE with MSRP of $30,000 and was quoted $650/month for 36 months. This is a residual value of 23%. How is this even possible? They’re saying a 3 year old Camry will be worth $7k in 3 years? They’ll probably try to charge $25k in 3 years. How can they even say this with a straight face?

I just walked out but wish I took a picture of the page. I hope these greedy fucks get what they deserve when the market returns back to normal.

1 Like

You need to check Edmunds to see if the figures they gave you are accurate for your area or greatly inflated.

Isn’t that about what they went for new? :smirk: