Best Way to Procure a Kia Carnival?

Family of 5, of which 3 are in carseats. Currently leasing a 2023 Patfinder which comes up in October. Love the Pathfinder, but we need more room–the Pathfinder reasonably accomodates the immediate family, but spare passengers and lots of luggage while on trips gets very tight.

I think a minivan would be most practical, and am leaning toward a Carnival (feel free to persuade me toward a different option). The big SUVs seem too expensive/less convenient, but would consider if considerably safer.

Whats the best way to buy one? Lease/Finance new? Buy used? Order through a dealer or a broker? Last year when we got the Pathfinder, Carnivals were scarce. Is that still the case? It seems the price differential between new/used is immaterial in my area (Central CA).

If a factory order is best, I am assuming a long lead time (hence the question now), but given the 2025 refresh, might there be incentives on 2024 models in the future, or are minivans (or is it MPV’s? :slight_smile: ) still just that hard to get? Maybe its best to wait to place an order on a 2025 MY?

Just looking for some info on what you all think is the best way to procure one of these things for the best value.

Thanks

There are 4 minivans available in the market, Im familiar with deals on all 4 in Socal (Carnival, Sienna, Odyssey and Pacifica)

Odyssey is easily the lowest for leasing currently, contact me if you want a quote. Sienna has terrible lease programs but I have them at MSRP for purchasing on higher trims. Carnival is scarce and there aren’t deals to be had. Pacifica has a lot of rebates but the lease programs are poor this month

4 Likes

Buy a Sienna and own it until roughly a year into the release of the next generation

4 Likes

Any recommendation on Sienna trim level?

Toyota’s sweet spot is almost always the XLE but there’s no wrong answer. Personal preference on how many features you want vs how much you want to spend.

1 Like

If you need 8 seaters - XLE is the highest you can get. Higher trim comes with captain seat on 2nd row = 7 seaters. Sienna holds their value well, especially the current hybrid generation.

2 Likes

Yeah, we’ve currently got captain’s chairs in the Pathfinder, but it seems like having the option of an 8th seat would just be more useful, especially when dealing with kids and carseats.

Think a Sienna is still a better value than a Pacifica, even with all the discounts that seem to be popping up on Pacificas?

We started with a Tundra, then 4Runner, the Pathfinder, now we just need to stop stair stepping and go straight to a minivan (ie. Bypass a Sequoia sized vehicle).

1 Like

Odyssey and much better value in this market imo. Op see what selling prices you can get on all 3 and expected resale by the time you are done.

1 Like

IMHO, Sienna is reliable, easy & cheaper to maintain. It does eat tires due to its weight but most minivan does that too.

1 Like

Do you think the Ody is best to go with new or used? It just seems that the delta between new and used on minvans across the board is so small that new makes sense.

def can get good discounts on ody which makes a new one a better deal

1 Like

also; Very expensive atm

1 Like

What kind of discounts are to be had on Ody’s right now? Dealer or factory?

Honda doesn’t do orders afaik. 3 k off on EXL is not hard to obtain. check marketplace

1 Like

You can get it for msrp now. In this case - minivan, you get what you pay for.

I will not get Chrysler - questionable quality and plenty of issues cropping up. Odyssey - it’s cheap because it is one generation behind the other 3. It needs a refresh badly. Kia Carnival actually looks like a pretty good value if you’re not into Sienna.

1 Like

I haven’t seen easily attainable MSRP. In purchase price you are talking a difference between 8-12 k easily on sienna vs ody in what’s somewhat easily attainable ime. not worth the money, again in my opinion. also ody drives way better the 4 banger on the sienna, super slow pickup and general feel of dragging a boat.

1 Like

I like Carnival a lot, and plan to buy one provided I can get some good discounts.

I hate Sienna for its hybrid power train. Really lacking in power, and loud.

1 Like

Yeah, thats kind of where I was at with the Carnival initially.

@Jrouleau426 should chime in. I know he steers some into Carnival instead of Sienna eventhough he’s a toyota broker.

1 Like

How are you planning on buying one? Factory order, broker, find one at a dealer?