Best Short-Term Car/Truck/SUV Purchase

Thinking of unloading my 22 Lariat SR Lightning before my TRX arrives. I’ve got a few months to wait but the Lightning values are dropping fast in New England. Making me nervous.

Wondering if there’s something (prefer a truck) I could get into for a few months before my Ram arrives that I could unload and not lose $$.

I usually buy but I’m open to lease too.

Or keep the Lightning and hope prices stabilize

2019-2020 Ford Raptors, I think are a sweet spot in the market right now. They are actually appreciating because the new Raptors are so crazy expensive. The Ford CPO program is half decent as well. Most new vehicles will be challenge to get without an order or connection.

3 Likes

That’s a great suggestion. I was thinking new so I won’t get stuck with any problems.
You think there’s something out there that I could buy new @ a big enough discount so I won’t lose in 3 mo/3k mi?

I was thinking Ram Big Horn or Laramie

Tacoma/Tundra via TFS? I picked a 4x2 4runner in Oct and sold the lease in Jan and made out ok.

2 Likes

Smart thinking. Everyone is dumping these it seems.
Think Sheryl Lee Ralph GIF by ABC Network

2 Likes

Love everything about the truck but the battery. Range BLOWS in cold weather

Not gonna work for me

Might already be too late. Did you buy at msrp at least?

1 Like

Yeah. Offers so far are all around $60k. One offer for $68.5k

This is on a $72k MSRP with 1900 mi

I would take that 68.5k. I can see why your on the hunt for another vehicle :smile:

3 Likes

Why not just buy whatever wrangler you like that provides you the largest discount. Nothing really holds its value like a wrangler and there is inventory.

1 Like

Is that true? I’ll be honest I know nothing about wranglers.

You think 4Xe or regular is the best bet? Loaded or base?

Look up the prices for used wranglers they are insane. I would likely stick with a non-4XE unless you wanted to benefit from the tax credit.

1 Like

Contact @Jrouleau426 and get into one of his tundras (mmr on hybrid limited is very strong). Drive it for 2-3 months and get all your money back and then some.

3 Likes

Lease on a 1794 or platinum tundra can be in the mid 600s with Tfs. Can sell that pretty easily with the 6k off I’m getting on those.

3 Likes

Would it be more expensive to lease or buy? After all fees I mean.

I can put a ton of dough down to keep interest low on a few months worth of driving

Ehhh, depends on loan length - since ARMCO is swamped it’s even harder to get a good rate.

1 Like

Since NH doesn’t have new car tax you could do either. I can price it both ways if you want to message me. I’d prob buy it being in your state. Lease would make sense to avoid upfront tax in most states.

Jim
215-359-6836

1 Like

I would be quite wary of very short term ownership. People who bought Teslas in December thought the same and got absolutely destroyed.

I’d cap my expenses with a one-pay on a 12-18m lease on a Frontier, Macan, Pathfinder, etc. Assuming taxes and insurance isn’t too bad in NH, just keep it as an extra vehicle if there’s overlap after the new truck arrives.

2 Likes

No sales tax in NH!

You might be onto something, though, because I’m not sure how long I’ll have the TRX.

1 Like

What about an Ioniq 5 Limited - if you can find one at MSRP? $7500 tax credit cap reduction. Trim is rare and resale values seem high.

I’d avoid the other trims and EV6s and GV60s. Demand seems much lower for those.

1 Like