Best overall adaptive cruise system

I have Nissan ProPilot in my Leaf, the next best thing to Tesla Autopilot IMO, will do full highway drives as long as it senses “weight” on the wheel just like the Tesla but a little less refined

I’ve tried HDA on Hyundai and Kia and I wasn’t that impressed, didn’t handle the curves well and the system isn’t so audible or even visual when steering disengages.

The Acura System kind of does slow ping pongs within the lane, and can’t handle even modest curves. Also not audible with the disengages of steering which is pretty often, but there is some visual.

Lexus system is better and will keep its steering but I don’t give it much trust, you still need to give it some help from time to time.

What I like about ProPilot is how stiff the wheel gets, It really is just doing its own thing and just needs some hand-holding validation for legal safety reasons. The stop and go is abrupt though but the steering means much more to me. I also like how when it disengages, mainly only at stop lights, it makes an audible beep and will do the same when it does engage. That is the issue I found with some of the other systems. I wouldn’t know it would engage and when I make curves I kind of fight with the wheel and shake it.

I’ve tried the lane-keeping in a newer 3 series without ACC, and it was alright, not really meant for a “self-drive” experience but decent for what it was.

Have you tried only standard hda or hda lI as well? And how does it compare to Acura/Honda acc?

What functions does pro pilot have that makes it like Tesla autopilot?

Honda absolutely pales in comparison.

1 Like

This is no longer true. The FSD beta program started at the end of last week and included any drivers who had a perfect 100 score for their saftey driving record. So, you have to pay for it, and then pass a saftey test to actually get it.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a37927308/tesla-fsd-beta-self-driving-software-download-elon-musk/

You can make a claim this is not available to the mass market but the system is live for those users who participated and qualified.

1 Like

A beta to a select number of people that’s been getting very mediocre reviews is not a mass market solution yet.

1 Like

even the non-FSD requires you to tap the wheel every few seconds as a pat on the back for doing a good job.

Low self-esteem on Tesla side?

Little surprised the Grand Cherokee L’s hasn’t been mentioned. Fits the OP’s usable 3 row SUV request and most reviewers love the system for its natural feel.

I don’t that a ton of us have first hand experience with that system yet.

I see Bluecruise mentions but that hasn’t been launched yet if I’m not mistaken.

True, but its proposed features have been heavily discussed.

I have mentioned several times jeeps level 2+ system if that’s what you’re referring to

It’s so ironic that you need 100 score to try a software that has been wildly advertised to improve safety, I’m dying LOL

1 Like

Not sure which one it was, I drove a 21 Kona EV Ultimate, 21 Ioniq PHEV SEL, and a 22 Niro EV EX.

The reason I think that ProPilot is like Autopilot is because of the system’s confidence and capability. There are little things that show that it’s really meant to drive itself.

“Hypothetically”, just like Autopilot, if you put a weight on the wheel heavy enough (like a 20oz water bottle filled with ice and water) for the system to think someone grabbing it, it will drive the car completely without beeping at the driver to “grab the wheel.”

When the ProPilot Steering engages and disengages it beeps at you, not that it needs to remind you that the car is driving itself because the driver was totally paying attention.

The system will not engage if the driver’s seat belt is not fastened, and will disengage if you take off your seatbelt when ProPilot is engaged, simple right, would be foolproof if they used a seat weight sensor, but I guess the seatbelt was easier.

I had the opportunity to finally try what would happen if you took your hands off the wheel and let the system beep at you all the way to the end. It first shows a warning, next it will show the warning with a parking sensor noise with it, when the noise finally flat-lines, the car will physically start to viciously brake and accelerate almost like it’s meant for driver’s who fell asleep at the wheel. I’m not sure what happens after that because traffic started to catch up and I didn’t want to cause an accident or get reported.

At the end of the day, the system to fully capable to drive a considerable highway distance as long as it senses “weight.” The longest I’ve traveled straight with the system active is about 50 miles, I could’ve gone longer but I don’t like taking my car on long trips due to mine having a small battery.

It’s an insurance/legal and state law issue.

Legal, Tesla is protecting themselves when some kid tries to trick the system, flips the car, and kills himself. Tesla can say they did not turn over autopilot to a known reckless individual.

State law, I think most states have something about limiting self driving roll outs to a small number of safe users as test runs

LIke Tesla gives a shit about legal. Every death that was caused by autopilot they just shrugged off and took a stance of “you want to spend eternity fighting us in courts, go for it”. Shocking right?

NHTSA does seem to be getting annoyed with them. Should be interesting to see if they actually do something soon.

I don’t think Tesla will be in any real danger until politicians can get behind another US based EV company. If Rivian, Lucid, Ford or GM will get their shit together at some point and politicians can continue to pretend that they are saving the planet without Musk, he’ll be in all the hot shit that he caused for himself over the years.

1 Like

Can anyone chime in on Mercedes Distronic plus adaptive cruise system vs Audi’s system or Bmw’s?
while the Mercedes seems to have a slight edge over Bmw’s system, on the Audi system there’s very little useful information out there.

Surprised it took so long for this to be mentioned. I have over 13,000 miles driven with OpenPilot (Comma’s Level 2 System) in all kinds of conditions (torrential downpours, snow storms, fog, you name it). It’s a very transparent system and will let you know when it is not confident (rare but will happen with any of these systems). It is also one of the few systems that have driver monitoring as a native feature and actually enforce rules against bad behavior. The steering torque will depend on OEM (Hyundai and Toyota are the best from what I recall) but things like automatic lane changes and cut-in detection are unlike any other system. The caveat is that this system is not for those who get scared of their printer malfunctioning, it is a developer kit that has a learning curve to install in cars that aren’t already supported (over 150 car models are supported as of this writing).

1 Like