Anyone else throwing in the towel and buying a Tesla?

How do they even get to those numbers? They obviously don’t want you leasing. I mean even if you select every option on a 48/mo. loan you’d nearly own the car after 3 years and have a similar payment with 0 down.

You are right, the dealer almost made it like they were doing me a favor by even providing a lease quote

Do you have a Sahara or Rubicon? And how’s the ride on paved roads? Is it long distance worthy?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/30/business/tesla-crash-police-car/index.html

2 Likes

I have the Sahara. I love it. Does fine on the road, quiet and smooth in the city, a little loud at freeway speeds but nothing major. It’s really fun to drive.

A couple interesting tidbits today regarding Tesla that effects how people may perceive the product:

From the NHTSA in a letter to Tesla:

“Recently, NHTSA has become aware of reports that participants in Tesla’s FSD early access beta release program have non-disclosure agreements that allegedly limit the participants from sharing information about FSD that portrays the feature negatively, or from speaking with certain people about FSD. Given that NHTSA relies on reports from consumers as an important source of information in evaluating potential safety defects, any agreement that may prevent or dissuade participants in the early access beta release program from reporting safety concerns to NHTSA is unacceptable. Moreover, even limitations on sharing certain information publicly adversely impacts NHTSA’s ability to obtain information relevant to safety.”

Also, regarding OTA updates to software to skirt recall regulations:

“Any manufacturer issuing an over-the-air update that mitigates a defect that poses an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety is required to timely file an accompanying recall notice to NHTSA,” Gregory Magno, the head of NHTSA’s vehicle defects division, wrote Tuesday in a letter to Tesla. He asked whether the company intends to file a safety recall, and if not, to provide technical and legal justification.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-13/tesla-may-be-impeding-safety-information-access-nhtsa-says

4 Likes

Tesla is going to find itself in hot water, as it looks like regulators have them in cross hair.

There could be conversations about why this is suddenly happening (Tesla has been Tesling since the inception), but I firmly believe it is going to be uncomfortable for them.

Letter should have also explicitly mentioned ‘non-disparagement’ as well as ‘non-disclosure’, since we seem to be blending the two these days for that acronym.

I can’t tell if they’re praising the model s there or being critical. It reads like praise, but saying “it’s faired well” and “replaced the battery and motors” is confusing to me.

2 Likes

Sounds like the usual pile of shit reporting that usually surrounds Tesla anything. We know motor and battery was replaced, but we don’t know when. So from someone with such accurate records, how do we know that we can trust anything else in there?

If the motor and the battery were replaced at 100k it would imply something very different than the same repair happening at 200k.

1 Like

replacing the batteries is like replacing the engine and tranny

prob a $20k fix

LOL, like anyone on this forum is driving their cars 100k+. This is a forum for lease degens.

6 Likes

I would hope a company wouldn’t disclose customers information unless its requested by its customer directly. Governments are overreaching lately in all aspects of citizens. It is every individuals right to protect their own interests.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-25/hertz-said-to-order-100-000-teslas-in-car-rental-market-shake-up

Maybe because I’m new to EV but I wouldn’t want one for a rental while traveling.

Probably would depend on multiple factors. Short term, low mileage where I know I won’t have to deal with recharging, I probably would be OK with it.

Seems like a very narrow use case. Besides, returning it without recharging will probably result in exorbitant charges just like ICE rentals.

The downtime for a recharging EV is longer than ICEV and thus more expensive to the rental company. Any downtime is foregone revenue.

Tesla’s have a fairly steep learning curve compared to other cars…opening the door, adjusting the AC, steering wheel/rearview mirrors etc…even the blind monitoring is different.

I think people who drive them everyday get used to them, at least my friends who do. But for a few days there will be a lot of confusion out there.

Also, since the Tesla requires an adapter to connect to all non-Tesla chargers, good luck with that! I’ve personally witnessed a bunch of Tesla owners get totally confused while trying to charge at non-Tesla chargers…and I’ve only been an EV driver for two months!