Best day ever (not really)

Why though property damage and not collision?

Cause thatā€™s how the law is written. Minimum insurance explained in this link.

You only have to carry 5k in coverage for damage to other persons vehicle or other property. This is the Cruz of my argument. You donā€™t know if the other guys insurance is gonna be able to pay you more than 5k. Make sure your insurance is a backstop unless you know 100% that other guy has enough property damage coverage.

Right but why wouldnā€™t it be covered under his collision? Which would be more than $5k right?

What makes you believe your car is totaled? Has the body shop even seen it to give an estimate. Without an ins adjuster looking at it you wonā€™t know .

Iā€™ve seen less damage and vehicle was totaled and worse and it wasnā€™t. All depends on what the adjuster determinesā€¦

In NJ,

Recently had a similar situation. Complete no fault accident (police report stated as much as well). Didnā€™t talk to other insurance at all. Our insurance covered everything and even refunded deductible regardless of where the claim was & didnā€™t affect renewal premium at all.

For what itā€™s worth.

1 Like

Obviously I donā€™t know for sure but i used to be a mechanic and the frame is bent. Typically when that happens itā€™s over

I am pulling this from the sky, please note.

I will be shocked if that car is totaled. In fact, Iā€™d put a sixer of Stone Delicious on it being fixed.

:bat:

Edit: Iā€™m taking up to (4) players. Most I gamble at a time these days is a case of fine cerveza.

1 Like

So in a couple months some dudes on YouTube will be bending it back together.

To my Mark IV eyeball this car looks far from totaled to me.

A crowbar, a little Bondo and a can of black Rustoleum would go far to repair it.

Iā€™m surprised to you think this is how it works, being a broker. If itā€™s some elseā€™s fault, you always deal with their insurance first. Iā€™ve done this at least three times, they get you a rental car etc. The only time I didnā€™t do it this way was when my wife got hit by a City of Denver vehicle, many municipalities are self insured, so you need to use your insurance or pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed by the government agency.

Too many claims on your own insurance, your fault or not probably doesnā€™t help your rate.

When you posted that you thought your car was totaled I was expecting a picture like thisā€¦

TotaledCar

3 Likes

Collision insurance covers your car and not someone you hit. Itā€™s the coverage you have that will get your car fixed if the other guy doesnā€™t have enough insurance.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.allstate.com/tr/amp/car-insurance/what-is-collision-insurance.aspx

Where I live we call that (UIM) unisured motorist coverage, also called underinsured motorist coverage

2 Likes

Not sure what me being a broker has to do with it. I am not a lawyer and didnā€™t claim to be.

If you would like to see some links, Iā€™m happy to provide it. Itā€™s one thing if someone caused a tiny scratch on his vehicle, and yet another if someone causes major damage (which is what happened here). The most important thing is that the OP has his own insurance company looking out for him. He may also have a car rental benefit that he already pays for, which I mentioned above.

And, as @EC99 mentioned, why risk a small bump in premium when the potential losses are enormous? There is little recourse in not notifying your own insurance company if you find out weeks later that their insurance company is giving you the run-around.

1 Like

The rear wheel sitting at that angle would suggest frame damage to the rear suspension pick ups. If it was just body damage, sure, but when wheels start pointing the wrong direction, things get expensive quick.

1 Like

This is dependent on what state youā€™re in and the local insurance laws.

OK, possibly expensive to repair. But will the repair cost more that that 2018 Challenger is worth.

The alley guys on Craigslist would just slap some bondo on there and sell it as ā€œlike newā€. These are the kind of cars those Craigslist guys love (to sell to you)

hereā€™s your typical craigslist car. - ā€œlike Newā€

SalvageCar

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t surprise me. That kind of frame damage adds up really quick.

Good points. I had a similar incident in mind but it was only body damage. As others have mentioned, a closer look at the photo shows mechanical damage here

1 Like

Thank you for what you do, especially in these trying times.

2 Likes