Best day ever (not really)

There I was, eating my chipotle burrito when I heard the loudest bang. I went outside and to my surprise, some complete idiot wrecked into my 2018 challenger R/T when I literally JUST FINISHED detailing and washing it. The guy hit my drivers side rear so hard that his wheel fell off. Anyway, as I watch it drive off into the sunset on the back of a tow truck, I come to the realization that old girl is probably totaled… and now what to I do?? Should
I hang on until after corona?

Go into a dealership slap the roof of a car (doesn’t matter which one), and yell ‘who wants to sell a car today?’

27 Likes

I hate people, man.

Last year, my wife parked her car at Target and some idiot with a truck tried parking next to her car and ended up denting her car in $2000 damages. He/she ran while my wife was in the store And two months after that, a friend street parked his car in LA mid-Wilshire and it was hit by a drunk driver (along with other cars). It was an M340i and he just leased it a day before. He also ran away…

We did our due diligence and got some camera feeds. We couldn’t make out the license plate for both cars. Asked the cops about the cameras at intersections and they told us they are only for live feed (which I don’t believe). Pretty much shit out of luck.

Made me think of I can really afford cars, ya know.

Anyway, if I were you, I’d get it now after you verify the car is total. From reading, it seems if we don’t recover economically from this, that car manufacturers are going to be focused more on finance incentives than leasing incentives.

1 Like

Same exact thing happened to my gf’s car two months ago. Amazing how the driver’s insurance didn’t accept liability right away and suggested my gf go through hers even though her car was parked…She got lucky a Tesla was driving next to the man who crashed into her car and recorded the impact.

Hope you have no issues getting your car fixed/paid out. I would personally wait unless you desperately need a car. Why take on a payment when you’re just going to have it parked for the next few weeks/months.

The other persons insurance will pay for a rental until fixed or you can get a new car. If dealers are closed then you stay in the rental. I don’t think you’ll find the best deals now but I don’t think it’s impossible. Don’t settle and go in w a level head and you will end up on top

1 Like

Insurance, assuming the driver had any, varies. I’ve heard of some not paying for rentals at all, but most are capped as to length of coverage. Anything beyond that would require going after the other driver in civil court, and good luck with that circus.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys. You think I should call Chrysler capital? Or just talk to his insurance company first? And as far as a new deal on a lease, I feel like it could go either way but if it gets totaled out I’m gonna have to put my grinding hat on for a decent enough deal

Others may disagree but I would just talk to your insurance company and let them handle it. If his insurance is adequate - see below comment on that - they will get payment from his insurance and then payoff Chrysler Capital.

Something positive about Tesla???

The most likely scenario is driver has minimum insurance, which is 5k for property damage in NJ. If so, you are going to need to file with your insurer for the remainder. In which case, you should see what your insurance says about rental cars.

Assuming th guy doesn’t have at least 50k in property damage coverage, he is going to be getting a bunch for calls from some lawyers/debt collectors. Then in 18 months when the civil court backlog is dealt with he will be getting an unpleasant letter in the mail.

1 Like

That sounds like the best part of a terrible story.

Best of luck to you. That is really rough, especially with what is going on. Hopefully you can get through to somebody to help you get a claim.

I’d just talk to his insurance company, no need to involve yours unless they are dragging their feet

1 Like

Ha, that’s always the guy that never buys a car!

No pictures?

Good call lol

2 Likes

If you zoom in on the top pic, you can see the car that hit it, jeep Cherokee listing to one side cause it’s missing a wheel. Again, 25 MPH road

2 Likes

Brilliant driving. Jersey is the best.

1 Like

Did you ask him what happened? And did you do police report?

Yeah this happened only yesterday so I’m waiting for the report. Some nice driver who saw the whole thing called the cops before I even got out of my house. I’m a cop too so I asked him what the deal was and he told me the dude was looking down on his phone and will be getting a lot of tickets.

2 Likes

This. If you get your insurance involved there will be a claim on your record irrelevant of you fault

2 Likes

Thoughts on Next car? widebody scat pack???

Yeah I agree, I called my insurance company already though and they said the same thing: deal with his insurance unless you want to file a claim, and I said NO THANKS