Auto Insurance holds you back from leasing

Just received my renewal quote for April. 25%+ increase. No claims, no tickets for the last 5 years. This is on top of having a teen in my policy. My EQB alone cost me $3k per year. Trying to shop around, not much better. Urrggh. While I want to get another EQE deal, I’m not interested to pay another $3k+.

Premiums are out of control in general. Recent renewal for a 2020 MB E350 went up by $500/6mo with a $2,000 deductible for collision and comprehensive. A car that sits in the garage 90% of the time mileage wise.

Second vehicle is usually a fraction of the first

State Farm? They also just sent me notification that premiums will go up by 25% at renewal.

Have to shop every single year otherwise people usually overpay for auto/home. I make my broker quote me all his companies yearly

2 Likes

I might just keep 2 policies. My regular insurance has decent rates on EV vs others.

Jeeps I’ll throw on AAA and ride it out since it’s a 1 year policy

We have multiple cars and added my teen son last year. It’s already expensive when we add him, this renewal is 25%+ on top of it. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Safeco, state farm will easily double mine now :sweat_smile:

Yep been talked about a lot here. Happened to me with nationwide. Went back to GEICO then back to nationwide. Only way is to keep switching. Prob screwed with a teen on the policy regardless.

Travelers just did the same to me, like 30% here in NY and no claims etc. wth

1 Like

Same here. Just keep switching there is barely any upside to having loyalty to any company these days. I shopped around brokers and on my own. Amica ended up being the cheapest by several hundred dollars. They keep a tighter book and haven’t grown as much as some of the other companies therefore haven’t got as crushed by claims last few years.

1 Like

If you’re in Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Maryland switch to NJM. They’re a great carrier and they don’t underwrite in Florida/California/New York, which is where all the carrier pain is coming from right now. In short, you don’t get punished unnecessarily as many of the major companies are trying to recoup their losses from the bad states. Your quote will probably blow you away.

3 Likes

Safeco just doubled our rates comparing to the last year’s renewal.

I did have an at fault fender bender two years ago but that didn’t affect the rates previously since they have an accident forgiveness policy.
I guess they’ve finally decided to catch up.

I did get several more quotes and Safeco was still the cheapest by a thousand a year.

But check this out, I’ve been looking for a lease replacement since December, got quotes from them on EV6 GT, i4 and i5, no surprises there.

Yesterday, a dealer finally came close to my asking price on a loaner iX so I called Safeco to get a quote before we get down to business.

• Blah, blah, blah, your insurance will go up by a thousand dollars a month.

• Did you mean a year?

• No, I meant a month.

• This sounds outrageous, you want to tell me that it’ll cost 12 thousand dollars to insure this car for a year?

• 12.5 to be exact…

I was shocked and couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

Called back an hour later, received the same quote from another agent.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Aren’t you in PA? Get a quote from NJM.

The entire insurance market in CA is a mess and in disarray. Lots of homeowners are not even getting renewed. Went to add a 200k+ car to my Farmers policy and it was absurd so I tried shopping around for a separate policy and no carrier would write a new policy at the moment in CA. Not even specialty insurers like hagerty. They’re all trying to recover and get caught up. However Metromile came through, very reasonable rate but not sure about everything else, might give them a try. This is a leisure car with low use so I do like the pay per mile idea

No carrier would write a new policy at the moment in CA? You mean for a car of that price point? A driver with your risk profile?

Almost all the insurers have implemented a 14-day wait upon application of a new policy, but I’ve not heard about no one writing a new policy.

1 Like

If you have an existing policy you can add it but many insurers are not doing brand new policies for just a single vehicle over 150k. That seems to be the threshold for some at the moment. They all say the market is in flux so next month could be different than today.

Interestingly my insurance went down from $152/month to $126/month starting in March. Progressive, PA. 2018 and 2013 PHEVs.

Tried NJM, our safeco is still cheaper.

NJM is garbage. My mom switched to Progressive and is paying 45% of what she was paying for NJM for better coverage. They aren’t as good as everyone says.