Auto Insurance holds you back from leasing

I’ve been trying to get quote for different companies. The most ridiculous I get is from Farmers. All other companies are within $500-1000 from our current safeco rate. Farmers wants $20k/year to insure my 4 cars. LOL.

1 Like

Liberty Mutual is extremely reasonable for me on my 2022 XC60 T8 here in Virginia. $150 a month for a dude in their mid 20s living in a relatively urban area is a steal. Thankful I’m not in DC where carjackings and Kia Boyz have made insurance insane. I’d do Care by Volvo if I lived there

2 Likes

I’ve found volvos and toyota to be the cheapest to insure in NYC. Last year I had a Gc 4xe, 4runner, Etron and TRX and geico had me at $4800 for 6mo.

1 Like

I don’t know that I’d use Progressive as a barometer for comparison to someone like NJM, but I can see this is certainly YMMV. Everyone I know (in Ohio) who has switched their home and auto to them has saved a substantial amount. I don’t think they’re garbage at all from a coverage standpoint. They are one of consumer reports top picks.

I have no faith in Consumer Reports. They claim they aren’t biased, but they are extremely biased.

They’re a “top pick” based on customer responses, and as we know, the average American is a complete and utter moron. Customer service with NJM is fine, but nothing special. Their prices in NJ aren’t in line with the level of service they provide.

1 Like

Anyone familiar with Amica? Someone suggested it to me a long time ago. I tried their on-line quote and didn’t like it, but it was a few years ago.

I just switched to Amica. Was lowest of every quote I got with Geico being 2nd. Went from $2800 per year for 2 cars in WNY to $1800.

2 Likes

Did you do on-line quote or talked to them?

Online quote. Obviously hard to compare quotes with other people since there are so many variables but this was on a 2021 GLC43 and M440i with $750 deductibles/full glass. Clean driving record no accidents, a few prior glass claims, good credit etc

1 Like

My car insurance renewal notice is arriving today. All this talk about big increases has me nervous.

Liberty Mutual bumped me up over $1600 the last 2 years :triumph:. The old prices seem to be gone for good.

Interesting data point. Hope you find something worth your while soon, it’s frustrating to not be able to insure a car you enjoy driving.

Fun fact for males, when getting auto insurance quotes and choosing gender, if you choose non-binary/gender neutral in many cases your rates will go down as it defaults to the typically lower female rate :upside_down_face:. Shopped around dozens of online quotes and this was effective most of the time. No company will ever question you on it. Sharing purely for financial savings and not a moral debate :melting_face:

10 Likes

I had Metromile (or similar) pay-per-mile coverage on an old InFiNiTi, but switched carriers when I started shopping for a replacement car, because even an M550 was too exotic for them to offer coverage at any price.

1 Like

Amica is a great company. Low risk, high credit scores, good history drivers will price well with them.

2 Likes

Yep- I use Amica too. So far they have been pretty gentle on me except my homeowners. But everyone is getting pretty beat up on homeowners.

3 Likes

I think the other thing worth mentioning is if you have DUI, reckless driving, average-poor credit history, multiple claims history that your options are basically Progressive, Geico, and Liberty Mutual. Car insurance is a lot like life insurance. You want to get yourself into the best underwriting pool possible. Companies like Amica, Cincinnati, Chubb, etc have no interest in high risk anything.

2 Likes

Damn. Just did a quote on my 2023 model 3 in NY, Amica wants $3700/6mo. Just for the tesla…

NY is a brutal state for insurance. There’s no sugar coating it. For 2 cars >50k each and a meaningful home, I pay less than $1000/year in Ohio for well above minimum coverage all-in.

LOL, I thought my parent’s 2021 Tesla Y for $2.8k/year in Philly is pretty bad already. That car is only worth 30k now.