Audi S5 Sportback - Please Help Rate This Deal

From leasing a m340 and owning a 2010 s4…I can tell you they both deliver. I would bet the m340 would win your heart performance wise and certainly price. 0 to 60 in 4.1 vs 0 to 60 in 4.5. I went from a 4.5 car to this 4.1 car and I can’t explain the difference in performance. Now I know that’s not everything but the m340 is smooth drive wise. Now I will give you one thing…you can’t beat that sport back look. Beautiful. But the difference in price right now w your quote vs a m340 is about 250 a month. 250 a month is a lot! But hey I love burning money so I hear ur calling

1 Like

If I could get a 2020 m340 with x-drive for 250/mo less than the S5 I would give up the sportback look, although tough to do. My first car was a 67 shelby clone which I built for 5yrs when I was 13. I love fastbacks and hatchbacks!

If you are going to LA, you can talk to @AudiGuan.

I am talking to him now, thanks @kaz5 and @Rondtable :+1::+1:

You can get a 60k m340 for low 600 if you have loyalty. Use msd and you can be in high 500s for 36/10 w 10 percent off prior to rebates

840/mo for a rebadged VW, dang…Might as well get an Arteon, and put an APR st.1 tune on it for 300/mo less, yet you will get similar acceleration figures.

:man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Lol :no_good_man:t4::man_facepalming:t4:

I leased the S5 prestige and had it for 8 months, hands down one of the best car amongst its competition. That being said, you have to pay a premium to lease it over it’s competitors which isnt worth it now that M340i is there with iDrive 7 and $100-150 less per month.

3 Likes

I driven an Arteon AWD…that car was so similar LOL :slight_smile: Even the same blinker sound… Even the manager said it is a rebadged A5.

I have driven all these cars…even the A8L (which was my favorite VAG vehicle).
The S5 has that artificial sound pumping in…wasn’t crazy about it. Lack of a touchscreen. The Arteon just felt quieter and roomier. The Arteon just had so much more to it…and a $500 APR tune to get it over 300hp is an easy one to do. Plus Arteon has a better warranty too.

There is nothing similar between the S5 and an Arteon.

The only thing the arteon and A5 have in common is the long block EA888 motor.

They’re also four door lift backs. That’s about it.

5 Likes

Also voiding the VW warranty with APR tune sounds pretty risky. Plura the cars are light years different in tuning, steering and over all handling.

They both have an 8 speed automatic, they are both produced by VAG. The Arteon has a bigger touchscreen, more space inside. What else needs to be the same?

1 Like

If done through a VW dealer (APR) it does not void anything. Handling wise at legal speeds they are similar.

Here is what a S5 owners says about the S5…

1. The embarrassment that is the totally nonfunctional Homelink system. I actually swapped out the receiver on my garage door opener and while I now at least get the buttons to register the new remote, they still don’t actually do anything to control the door. In all my years of using Homelink systems in a wide variety of vehicles, this is the only car that has defeated me. I’ve put collectively about 3+ hours into trying everything I could to make this thing work, including sacrificing a small rodent (I didn’t have a chicken). The thing flat out doesn’t work.

2. The rattles, or buzzing, or jingling I hear that seems to be emanating from the backseat area. I hear it every once in awhile when hitting a bump in the road, but I always hear it when I play music at any even a low to moderate level. It sounds like one of those little toy monkeys with a tambourine snuck into my back seat and is playing along with the music. It has rendered my audio system completely unlistenable and I loath to take it in to the dealer to have them start tearing the interior apart for fear of them creating new rattles. I’m extremely rattle intolerant.

3. Speaking of the audio system. My old '09 allowed for different tonal and balance/fading settings for the different sources. The new car supports far more sources, even though it apparently doesn’t support my old hard disk based iPod that was a permanent part of my '09 for the past 9 years. However, it doesn’t seem to allow for different settings for the different sources, with most things being globally applied. Music from the SD card for instance requires much different settings than AM talk radio for each to sound decent. I find myself constantly fiddling with the audio settings which is something I never had to do after initially setting them in the '09. Otherwise I seem to have to choose to either make my music sources sound decent (unfortunately nothing I’ve tried makes it sound great) while listening to hollow talk radio, or make the AM stations sound just OK, while my music sounds down right horrible.

4. The Driver Assistance and Start/Stop systems only allowing minor adjustments and not complete persistent control over them. Some items can be temporarily turned off, but they come back on the next time I start the car. Other things seem OK for awhile, but still like to get in my way too often. I like to drive, and would like my car to let me do so. But this car seems to want to drive for me and I find myself occasionally in a brief arm wrestling matches over control of the vehicle.

5. The sound of the engine/exhaust is… well it sounds like it’s passing gas, and not in a good way. Compared to my '09 V8 and it’s awesome rumbling tone, I’m having a hard time getting use to this little farty sound.

6. The cute little gear shifter is less fun. The paddle shifters also seem flimsy in comparison to those in the '09. That said, I find my new S5 is much quicker, overall faster, and far more efficient than my '09. It simply doesn’t require the manual shifting intervention my '09 did to quickly jump from lane to lane while passing folks on the freeway. It really is a better driving car than the '09 without having to do any manual shifting at all. But when I do try manual shifting with that shifter it loses a lot of the driving fun by not having the big, tall shift handle and **** of the '09. I guess I just won’t be shifting nearly as often as I used to, for need or pleasure.

7. The massaging seat is awesome in the '18, but the incredible Magna Red sport seats in my '09 were just better feeling seats overall and they looked a lot more impressive. It seems many of the interior materials were downgraded in the new model compared to my old '09 and that makes me sad.

8. The grill. The '18 model grill almost looks like it came off a Hyundai Sonata where my '09 had a pretty cool menacing look about it. I think an after market Black Out package is in my new S5’s near future.

9. I think it just comes down to my old '09 had a brute force coolness about it that this new one seems to be lacking. I felt the '09 was actually an extension of me on the road. It was as comfortable as a favorite old pair of slippers and it was incredibly fun to drive. This one isn’t as much so.

10. Did I mention the non-functioning and completely annoying Homelink system? The fact that I have to carry a separate garage door opener remote as if this was my old 1975 Pontiac Grand Prix coupe, and the ridiculous amount of time I’ve spent trying to make it work, not to mention I bought a whole new opener receiver in a failed attempt to make it work, really kind of pisses me off.

This was therapeutic for me to write. I still have high hopes for this car but I’m not completely feeling it yet. I was excited to drive my '09 every day of the 9 years I owned it. The '18 hasn’t quite generated that same feeling so far. I keep telling myself it’s only been a few days and I’ll get use to the new one, but I’m kind of homesick right now.

Do you have any official link for this?

Just google it. I know they have an APR center at Alexandria VW.

Just because a VW dealer sells it doesn’t make it official.

Definitely not backed by the manufacturer, it’s essentially a “mod friendly” dealership offering the tune. Perhaps they will be a bit more lenient, but it is not covered.

2 Likes

most likely if something happens to you car your vin will be flagged and then “ no more warranty for you” (Seinfeld intended)

Then what’s the deal…go to an independent APR dealer, have the software installed, with an option to roll it back. You really think they are going to check lol?