Audi RS5 Lease vs Purchase

lol they told me it was .00203!

Thats not an option here… They already put a deposit on their Jet and I’m in CA so no chance. “No cooling off period”
I hear what you said so would a switch to purchase be the smarter of the 2?

I’m not saying one way or another. All I’m saying is that if the 4 grand at signing doesn’t clear, the deal wouldn’t fund and everything else wouldn’t matter. I don’t think either of those options are particularly appealing. Why take a terrible lease payment and make it even longer via a finance deal, where you’ll end up being seriously underwater in no time flat, and back looking to roll even more negative equity somewhere else in a few years.

2 Likes

My god OP…you have no business being in a car of this caliber.

1 Like

I see (2) potential solutions:

1. Snowy off ramp
  2. Parked, keys on roof in a dicey part of town

Try to ride this lease out to the end, for god’s sake don’t compound this by buying an Audi RS model, which will consume tens of thousands in maintenance and repairs and consumables. Adding negative equity to a lease is fine once, in small amounts, but as you can see, it perpetuates, and compounds nastily, particularly on RS / AMG type cars with horrid MF.

Try to stem the tide now.

(Suggestions 1 and 2 are jokes. I don’t advocate insurance fraud.)

:bat:

11 Likes

Was the Lexus you turned in financed or leased? How did you end up 7000 underwater on a 2017? Especially if it was leased, you could have just rode it out.

2 Likes

This is a mess. Did you maximize your budget on this car? The are cars are high-cost vehicles from all perspective.

Did you confirm the Base MF with Edmunds? Usually RS MF is around .00275. If you got it around .00205 then that’s that a helluva deal, relatively speaking. EDIT: I just checked for you. RV for an RS 5 SB is 48% across 42 months and with an MF of .00234. No way you paid less on MF without MSDs.

Regardless, your money down is going towards paying negative equity off and you’re still rolling over 3k+ on a 90k dollar car with high interest. Neither leasing nor purchasing this car is advisable in this scenario if you’re able to afford ~1500, but can’t afford ~1700.

I definitely don’t want to judge, but something doesn’t seem right with this so far. The deal is signed so I don’t see how you can just turn this into a finance deal with your 4K down. Your money down was already used to cover negative equity in the lease deal.

3 Likes

This thread is the epitome of the saying “a fool and his money are soon parted.” Rolling in negative equity and not double checking the contract for the numbers before signing? Dude should be lucky that the dealership didn’t sell the shirt he walked in with back to him.

1 Like

OP, just don’t go through with this. This is a horrible deal.
Next time hire a broker.

3 Likes

Roll in the negative equity into a BMW lease

1 Like

Maybe OP can confirm that this is indeed with Audi Financial? I don’t know where they are located, but maybe this is a 3rd party bank or some other weird “lease to buy” balloon payment kind of situation, but I don’t see that anywhere. If it is an AFS deal, no MSDs and the MF is wrong, maybe it’s a blessing in disguise and they’ll have to redo the contract, or just return the car at this point.

Yes, AND at an exorbitant rate. I mean, it’s like beating yourself up every month when you see that payment post and know that a bunch of it was rent (aka interest).

This isn’t meant as harsh as it sounds, but if one cannot swing $1,700, one also cannot swing $1,500. If one’s budget is set that closely, one should be considering BMW 3 series deals or 2-year-old CPO Lexus deals.

When you hear hoofbeats, think :horse:, not :zebra:

Much more likely OP is mixed up than the F&I guy in this situation, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Yes its through AFS. They are offering to switch to finance because the deal was done on Sunday and nothing has been sent to AFS yet.

He joined this site back in October. Surprised that he saw this site and still went with such deal.

Anyways good luck OP.

1 Like

Have the tires hit the road yet? I believe in CA the deal isn’t finalized unless you drive the car off the lot.

Then do whatever you gotta do to avoid this.

Cancel the check. Beg. Harass. Whatever you can do, is worth it.

I’m not trying to be melodramatic, but this decision could add like 10 years to your retirement date.

Good luck.

5 Likes

The DP was paid with a card. Canceling might be tough.

It’s none of my business, but please tell me it’s your rewards card that you pay off every month . . .

3 Likes

It sounds like they haven’t sent the contract through to AFS yet. Refuse delivery of the car and demand your money back. This deal isn’t final until you drive off with it.

This may be your saving grace. The deal wasn’t great in the first place. You’re better off financing a CPO RS 5 over this deal.

Don’t do it. This RV is absolutely destroying this deal.

1 Like

Tell them they can keep the downpayment if they’ll just take the car back. It’ll be the most sound financial decision you make if you already took delivery of the vehicle.

7 Likes