Are too many newbies expecting a unicorn-type deal?

Exhibit A

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/premium-suv-lease-issue-nj/228224/14

2 Likes

That dude. Can’t blame them 'cos all they choose to see is the monthly payment (when folks share their deals).

In all seriousness though, I have been seeing more and more of these unrealistic expectations from some newbies. $399 monthly with $0 down and $0 due at signing for a luxury SUV? If it were a sedan, it might be doable. Maybe last year when BMW was having a fire sale on the 4 series.

Might be possible on a stripped down loaner but he needs ventilated seats and ACC at that price

3 Likes

yes, exactly what I said :grin:

I’m honored to find this forum.

I’m crying over here LOL

My bad on the dealer missed that.

I see that in looking at these unicorn deals. I’m not shopping unicorn deals. My point still holds on a non unicorn deal for most people. Lower rent charge is better and you should understand what it is.

Unless a higher rent charge is exchanged for a larger discount and results in a lower overall total cost.

6 Likes

So, clearly, the best value by far for leasing is a 2020 Jag XE, with its .00001 MF, 53% residual, and $1k in dealer cash. Even with a 0% discount, you’re still paying way less in rent charges than those suckers who pick up heavily discounted BMWs.

2 Likes

Some leases can’t have a low monthly rent. Base MFs are too high (think Porsche). You’d think some who’s been here longer than @max_g would know that.

2 Likes

Looking for a $300 monthly on a brand new BMW 3 or 5 series. Where can I find those? (Being sarcastic).

On a serious note, let me go back to one of my original comments about how some folks are being unrealistic about pricing. I was reading one of the Q7 threads where folks were expecting a dealer to give them a 20% discount on a 2019 model 'cos others on LH got the same deal.

Has the LH community (not trying to point fingers at anyone) given some folks false expectations about what is a reasonable deal?

1 Like

Is this a rhetorical question? Of course. @MConte05 specifically :grin:

1 Like

Without a doubt.

It’s two-fold as well: (1) people need to recognize that different markets have different volumes, discounts, bonuses, competition, etc. We get people asking for 13% off new all the time, but the market in Texas just doesn’t support that. What people don’t factor in is that if they are getting off an additional 2-3% in CA or NY, the cost of shipping negates that.
(2) People need to recognize that not every deal’s components apply to them. The most basic aspect of this is that just because one or two people get a larger discount on the same model, it doesn’t mean it can be replicated, especially half-way across the country. The dealer could have a motivation to move a car - trying to meet a volume bonus, a car has been sitting, it has weird options - you just never know.

We advocate for the best discounts possible, given the time of year and whatever else is going on at that time. We’re going to work for the best deal possible, but it’s difficult when customers keep pushing for more and won’t sign because someone says, “you should get 12% on new or the deal is awful.”

This is all aside from considering tax differences, doc fees, a lack of incentives in general (X5 comes to mind), etc.

1 Like

I find this post very ironic because @Electric was the main culprit of this in the past.

8 Likes

I have seen some crazy deals offered by some BMW brokers on both new and loaners recently. Although, I know some of these huge discounts only apply to certain in-stock models, I won’t be a surprised if a newbie thinks they can start asking for 19-20% off on a new car just 'cos [Broker Name Here] was advertising such a deal.

What I keep seeing more and more of is “well, the broker is advertising this deal at 13% off, so I can definitely get another 3-4% off more than what the broker is asking for sure!”

1 Like

To add to your comment, some folks miss out on a good deal 'cos someone told them they could get a bigger discount.

It still amazes me that someone thought they could do better, even after being offered close to 20% off MSRP on a loaner.

1 Like

I just halted all communication with a member because he asked to push for another $1000 off on a BMW 530 loaner I had listed just yesterday at 20% off Pre rebates with base MF.

I even gave him FROR as a courtesy to help him out.

5 Likes

Wow! I am speechless. 20% off a BMW ain’t enough? Maybe they should walk into a dealer and ask for the same deal.

I dunno…

That was a first for me. I think I was offended by the ask so I just couldn’t even reply after that.

I kept writing replies and finally realized it’s better I just not bother

7 Likes