Are too many newbies expecting a unicorn-type deal?

Glad the title of the post was updated.

2 Likes

#1 can work to your advantage if you stick to the numbers and throw emotions out the window. You’re there to transact, not make friends.

#2 is a big one most people screw up. Know the car before you go check it out. And don’t drool, that’ll cost you 5%.

#3 payment shopping isn’t always bad if you know what your target deal will look like. Consider picking the worst set of terms available to payment shop with to combat FOLP (fear of low payment) attitudes from the desk/management.

2 Likes

There’s a huge difference between converting a target deal to monthly/das and using that as the language of negotiation and someone that payment shops

4 Likes

OP went from $230 to paying $314 with $11k DAS.

EDIT: They must have forgotten about their target monthly.

“Sir, don’t you feel your family’s safety is worth $3/day? — We can even get rid of that machine you drove in with for you.”

1 Like

You forgot the, not getting a check for the trade, or using it for tax purposes.

:chocolate_bar:

1 Like

He just wanted to plug his detailing and real estate businesses lol

1 Like

His business is good I guess that makes up for it lol

1 Like

They also stated helping other folks lease cars. Let’s hope their friends did not pay over MSRP.

1 Like

I can recall walking out of dealerships several times (that was before I found this site), when I felt the dealer’s numbers did not add up or their offer was no where near what I wanted to pay.

I get the impulse buy part, but if you claim to be an “expert” (I am no lease expert, btw), you should stick to your numbers as long as all the RV, MF and incentive info was confirmed on Edmunds.

None of the starting numbers were based on anything

4 Likes

Don’t sell yourself short, a lot of people have benefited from your contributions over the years :+1:t4:

4 Likes

I had someone reach out to me recently to review a deal they had on a 2 series loaner for 14.5% off MSRP. Same person previously had an offer on a brand new 330i for 11.5% off MSRP. Not sure if they were payment shopping, but a few folks (including myself) suggested they take the deal on the brand new car for 11.5%. Waiting to hear back what happened to that deal.

2 Likes

I went to my local Audi dealership for a test drive. I had contacted them earlier in the week about a car. We were far apart as far as discount, after a couple of emails and a phone call with the sales manager. The car I had initially inquired about sold - It was in my preferred color combo with my preferred options. I had no plans of talking numbers today, since I had decided I was going to “move on” from this dealer.

After the test drive, sales consultant brings up numbers. We talk for less than 5 minutes. He wanted to know my “What would it take to sign today” number. I tell him and he goes over to his boss. Sales manager comes back agreeing to my ask if I sign by month’s end. However, my preferred color combo was no longer on their lot. They were prepared to do a dealer trade on a car in my preferred color combo, at no additional expense to me.

Here is my dilemma - I am happy with their latest offer (discount-wise), but I wanted to wait until May 1st. I shared that with both my sales consultant and sales manager before leaving the dealership. I am well aware that programs could get worse or there could be slim pickings. I can live with that. However, after analyzing lease incentives since January 2021 from Edmunds, they have seen a steady increase month over month. I get it that we can’t predict what next month would bring. I am okay with that. I missed out on $2k in Costco incentives, since I was not a member by March 1st. I am pretty bummed. I signed up this month, hoping Costco is extended next month.

I might be interested in another car from a different dealer. It is in my preferred color combo and has all the options I want. I get it that it could sell tomorrow, however, I might check with my local dealer about a trade for that car.

Am I nuts waiting 8 days? I am not asking whether I should take the deal on the table. I will probably do so. All I am asking is, am I wrong assuming that incentives will improve in May? Or would the current inventory and production issues not entice manufacturers to keep incentivizing leasing?

The second and third points will always lead to a bad deal. The first one can work at the right dealer and at the right time, albeit those being rare occurrences. Overall, communicating with the GM/GSM over email, text, and phone calls is much more effective.

Agree. I had gone over my numbers before presenting my initial offer via email. After coming back with a low counteroffer, I informed the sales manager I was going pass. However, before doing so, I shared my lease calculations I had done by hand (after using the LH calculator) with the dealer. He came back and agreed that my numbers were correct, but they could not do the discount I was requesting. We are currently about 2% apart, but their current discount is in the double digits (Their initial offer and counter offer were in the single digits).

Their current discount is higher than most broker deals, so I don’t plan to ask for more $$ off.

1 Like

If they agree to your “what it would take to sign today” request why wouldnt you sign if they can get you the exact specs you wanted from another dealer? You went back to them and said “well, I want to wait until May 1” which tells them you aren’t truly ready to sign which kind of goes against what is preached here. You said yourself numbers have gotten worse since January.

3 Likes

Incentives have been getting better since January.

The car from the other dealer is in my color combo, but does not have the exact specs I am looking for.

Not true. I would have signed if the car I had been interested in (which was in my preferred color combo with options) did not sell before I got there.

2 Likes

Misread, my bad.

If they can get the car you want from the other dealer with same discount, pull the trigger, seems like an easy deal. Even if numbers get better next month what are you gonna save $10 or $20 a month? Why risk…

1 Like

Appreciate your perspective.