Are too many newbies expecting a unicorn-type deal?

Whoever came up with the stupid “unicorn” term here should be banned for life from LH. And all grazing LH unicorns should be send to slaughterhouse.

6 Likes

Can we also ban the stupid 1% “rule”?

Here’s the one I gave away :slight_smile:
**WARNING: UNICORN** 2018 BMW M3 Competition Package 92k MSRP $505/month + tax, NO MSDs!

1 Like

I propose insta-bans for

• Unicorn Deals
  • 1% Rules
  • Leasehackr scores
  • Tesla stock price going up
4 Likes

huh? my point is lowest cost too. if you get a low rent charge generally your cost is lower. like that x2 model above. clearly depreciation of 400ish for the total term offsets the 3k rent charge. usually you don’t see only 400ish of depreciation on a 3 year deal.

in a normal scenario, when you are paying 500ish a month, I don’t want to add 100/200more a month in rent charge. That is a marked up MF or a crappy MF.

Here are my two “unicorn deals”

I also had a 12-month loaded Mini Cooper S manual for like $125 a month, but that was a dealer deal that I just jumped on 10 minutes after he posted.

1 Like

And then he disappeared forever

Honestly you are the first person who has ever cared about how much of the base payment is depreciation vs rent.

There have been some amazing deals where depreciation was 0 or close to 0. The entire base payment was rent. Nobody cared. Would have been foolish to walk over that.

3 Likes

All hail @loberant

If all things are equal otherwise, yes, that’s true.

However, very rarely are all things equal otherwise.

A lot of the best deals are made up of almost entirely rent charge.

When I calculate a monthly payment on a lease, after taking into account all the variables (pre-incentive sale price, incentives, MF, RV, and fees), if the monthly is in the range I was expecting, then that’s all that matters. I don’t need a score or an imaginary rule to tell me I am getting a good deal.

I am not in the business of nickel-and-diming a dealer, as long as they are transparent and the numbers they provide make sense to me.

The more I read posts from newbies, the more I notice folks are either payment shopping (to each his/her own) or are looking for an unreasonable discount on a car.

EDIT: In the car buying/leasing world, it makes sense to understand how the sausage is made, IMO.

2 Likes

you talking about me? I bet i’ve been a member longer than you probably

Ugh I hate when people ask me or complain about how much interest/rent they’re paying with no intention to buy these out. Who cares! A deal is a deal. Drive it cheap and return it

I was talking about that dealer who very briefly had really cheap 12-month leases.

But no one cares how long you’ve been a member here

1 Like

The majority of people buying a car or signing a lease have no idea what they are doing. Thats a given. Many leases are fleeces. Take a look at swapalease or lease trader and you will see owners tryign to get out of leases. In many cases you will see prices that defy belief on their leases. Rarely have I seen any sharp deal worth grabbing on those websites. So I dont care abotu dealers complining about customers going for the lowest price etc. One of the classic lease trcks is the end of lease fee that applies to most leases. From a psychological point of view customers dont want to pay a fee for nothing. But of course lease another car from us and its waived. For me I go for th best deal so I jump ship all the time when the next deal is not a sharp one. it doesnt have to be a uniicorn deal per se, but it had to be a good value to other cars in the same price class that I am seeking. Rarely do a visit a dealer over the past 25 yrs. When I say to them I wnt strictly a sign and drive lease for this term they have a near blank look on their faces.

1 Like

Exhibit A

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/premium-suv-lease-issue-nj/228224/14

2 Likes

That dude. Can’t blame them 'cos all they choose to see is the monthly payment (when folks share their deals).

In all seriousness though, I have been seeing more and more of these unrealistic expectations from some newbies. $399 monthly with $0 down and $0 due at signing for a luxury SUV? If it were a sedan, it might be doable. Maybe last year when BMW was having a fire sale on the 4 series.

Might be possible on a stripped down loaner but he needs ventilated seats and ACC at that price

3 Likes

yes, exactly what I said :grin:

I’m honored to find this forum.

I’m crying over here LOL