Appropriate discount for a loaner: 2023 Porsche Macan S

I’m not sure how to think about this, but wanted to get some advice. It’s a Macan S spec’ed close to what I want that was used as a loaner. Its a 2023 Macan S with 5,xxx miles. MSRP is $72xxx, they have it priced for a ~$10k discount to MSRP. I do want to note that the 2024 have no changes but the MSRP moved up I believe ~$4k.

Never considered a loaner, any thoughts on risk and what the right price to ask and things to look out for? Thanks.

1 Like

Not worth it, they killed the 2023 lease program, 10% off a 2023 would be the same as paying sticker on a 2024 basically.

@IAC_Scott Hey, thanks for your feedback. I’m a little confused, the only 2024s I see that are spec’ed teh same are $80k+ – the sticker I’d be paying on this is close to 60. Can you help me understand what you’re saying?

He is talking about leasing a Macan S. The lease incentives and numbers are not there this month. Wait a few months and see if the numbers get any better. I believe people were snatching $600/month lease on a Macan loaners. Not sure what the DAS were.

Is there still lease support on 2023s?

Are you looking at a purchase or a lease?

As a point of reference, a broker had a base '24 Macan loaner for 13% off a week ago.

I get it that it is not an S, but maybe that might help you negotiate a bigger discount with the dealer giving you 10k off on a '23.

There is, but they dropped the residuals for 2023’s 10 points across the board, so aside from the few thousand in MSRP savings, 10% off a 2023 is close to paying sticker on a 2024. Basically, a 2023 demo needs to be 20% off + to even begin to make sense, and that is absolutely not realistic and not happening.

2 Likes

@IAC_Scott so basically the deal I’m talking about the sticker is ~$72.5, its listed for $62.5k (~14% off) and I’m asking for closer to $58.5k (~19% off). this is for a purchase. does this make sense?

The sticker for a new 24 w/ similar options is ~$78k

If somehow the sticker for the exact same '24 is that much more, then yes, I’d probably be happy with anything over 15%, I’m not sure if 19% is realistic.

If you are dead set on the above vehicle, structure your target deal and present it to the sales manager via email/phone and see it they are ready to play ball!

I haven’t purchased a new cars in ~15 years, so I feeling like this feels like a good mix. The macan s put a smile to my face, I tried the X3, Q5, X5, Cayenne, and they all were nice but just didn’t have that extra to me. But i’m totally open if you think there’s a better way to go?

@IAC_Scott I found the 99% identical vehicle (but 2024 and new) at the same dealer, the price is $77,3xx.

The 2023 w/ 5k miles (but no CPO, only original warranty) is listed at $62,xxx and I’m still negotiating.

Just FYI why I think anything over 15% of the 23 sticker is good but happy to hear if you still think the 24 is better.

It’s not that it’s a better vehicle, just that you need to compare what a 2024 goes for vs a 2023 specifially on a lease, because of the program difference.

1 Like

When you ask a question without mentioning it’s a purchase, everybody thinks it’s a lease and replies accordingly. When you say you want to purchase a loaner for X price, it is a different story and as I understand from the @IAC_Scott, to purchase 15%+ discount makes sense, to lease only 20%+ discount is the way.

@etzn Oh that makes a lot of sense! I’m sorry, didn’t realize that. I’ll be more careful next time and yes, it is for a purchase.

1 Like

If you are looking to buy, I would definitely keep in mind the basic warranty on the Macan is 4year / 50K (If you are going to keep it any longer, definitely go with CPO)

In another 6-7 months 2025’s will launch and the 23’s will take a direct hit in values compared with 24’s

FYI…Prefer Lexus RX F Sport!

Sometimes you can make more headway in a negotiation after moving past the zero-sum aspects.

The price is zero sum: every dollar reduced is a dollar in your pocket and a dollar out of theirs.

Look for non-zero sum angles such as CPO or extended warranty, any legitimate consumable replacement needs such as tires, pads, rotors, etc etc.

1 Like

Thanks all for your advice, it was really helpful.

Closed the deal to purchase at a ~16.2% discount to MSRP for the '23 (paid cash, no financing). The car has ~5k miles and been in service 6m so have 3.5years/45k miles remaining on warranties. Re: non-zero sum angles, the car hasn’t had its first servicing even yet (it happens at 1y/10k miles mark) so its needs nothing thats consumable (they say). They want $6.9k for extending the VSP Platinum Warranty by 2y and 75k miles (so 4y 50k to 6y 75k), not sure I’m going to have it that long (hopefully will have more kids and need more space) and if its worth it.

Thanks and let me know if this makes sense or something I should push for!

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a terrible “value” so hard pass

Congrats on the new ride!

Why wouldn’t you get it as a CPO? You can find deals in that same ballpark with CPO included.