Anything affordable and fun to drive?

Currently leasing a 2017 Ford Fusion Sport in western NY. Twin Turbo V6 AWD, great car a lot of power, and I wish they still made it! I am leaning toward buying the car out since it only has 22,000 miles but the residual is $18,607. I am not finding anything nearby that looks interesting to me. I came out of a Scion FR-S lease before this, loved that as well. I would prefer something RWD, AWD is okay but I hate FWD. Manual transmission would be awesome but that’s nearly impossible. Seems everything I am interested leases terribly. Kia Stinger, MX-5 RF, and Cadillac CT4 are great but I’m not going to pay over $500 a month for a car in the mid-thirties. I’d like to stay around $400. So what’s out there?

Miata is always the answer.

7 Likes

I know you said you hate FWD, but what about a GTI? It might slightly exceed the budget, I imagine.

A 330i fart car? Probably not as fun as the cars you listed, but the current gen is supposed to be more fun to drive than the last gen was.

Nothing much out there.

Look on swapalease and bimmer forums for a 4-series lease transfer

Volvo S/V60 T6 or T8 AWD.

1 Like

Is the 4-series much different the (last gen) 3 sedan? I test drove a 3-series wagon, and, while it was perfectly pleasant to drive, there wasn’t much fun.

It’s all relative… probably won’t be less fun to drive than a 2017 Fusion.

yeah but $500 a month (first payment only DAS incl tax) for a $35K car? No thanks

They are very fun but FWD is the one thing that is an absolute no.

1 Like

Had not even thought about those

You are in NY, and there are very good brokers in your area. Check out people like @aronchi, @Bostoncarconcierge

They have spreadsheets with the deals they currently have. I would think that a T6M around $400 MP is doable, for a loaner and maybe even new.

The look on someones face when they see a Fusion just took them to gapplebees is very fun

3 Likes

G-d bless you.

Im definitely okay with loaners, considering I’m the Courtesy Transportation Manager for a Cadillac dealer LOL.

Who said Volvo is fun to drive? T8 maybe, T6 is just OK. T8 Polestar most likely, but not $500/mo

1 Like

Volvo and fun to drive…and I feel like Im taking crazy pills…

Haven’t driven a Volvo lately so I’m skeptical myself, but the magazines are saying good things. I also am a fan of the Genesis G70 (especially with the manual) but it doesn’t seem like they are giving anything on those.

Good point…

Not in terms of driving dynamics, AFAIK. Beautiful exterior design, elegant interiors finished to a high level, and a not particularly good ride/handling w/ the larger tires and possibly some chassis flex in the S90. In fact, I think Car and Driver made a point to say how boring it was to drive in the last comparo including the S60.

1 Like

Toyota Supra has some good discounts and incentives…

My view is pay up for something that is actually fun or just spend 200 on a bolt or civic. 400 is going to get you about 1/4 more fun for double the price.

1 Like