Anyone leased a 2019 Golf R?!

I am finding it very challenging to get a reasonable deal. I was just quoted at $599/month, $0 DAS, 10k per year. RIDICULOUS!! Haven’t head back on the MF or Residual. I should also receive a recent graduate and preferred employer incentive.

Another question… Am I barking up the wrong tree? I really love the Golf R, but I really would like to stay at or below $400/month including taxes. I am looking for something fun to drive without the Honda plastic cheapness. Something luxury without being presumptuous. Any suggestions? I will be purchasing in the Atlanta area.

~Dennis

You are barking up the wrong tree.

High money factor coupled with low RV and little to no dealer discount makes for a terrible lease. Only car in this segment that would lease below 500 a month is the STI.

6 Likes

The Golf R RV’s aren’t too shabby (36/10k is currently 64%). The high MF can be reduced by MSDs. what really makes the Golf R hard to hack are the very low dealer discounts.
Dealers treat these things like they are willy wonka golden tickets.

8 Likes

Yeah they are definitely very hard to get deals on. When I bought my 2017 R I searched cargurus in 500 mile radius to find dealers selling at a discount. Finally found 1 willing to go invoice pricing like 2hrs away. Once you get the dealer selling price down you might have better luck in the rest of the deal.

He would be lucky to get a GTI out the door for 21,600. That’s almost a 10k dollar discount on a GTI S. Base GTI MSRP for about 27k with destination. Factor in fees and taxes and that’s almost 29k, depending on area.

The new GLI Autobahn edition are being priced quite aggressively in South FL. Still not a very good lease regardless.

GTI and GLI are great cars that can be had at good pricing but really nothing like the R especially if you’re going to hit the track or autocross at all. Have you tried looking at leases for an S3, pretty much same everything except you can’t row your own gears.

I rarely see a VW golf on the road these days. At one time these sold like hotcakes, but it’s been a long time now, I’m surprised they even still sell the golf!!

I don’t think you can even get a GTI at that price. I think the entire Golf range tends to lease pretty poorly.

I don’t know anything about the Atlanta market, but if you can find a BMW 4-series, it looks like some posters are getting insane deals on those (and in your stated price range).

Rumor is that the next Golf won’t make it to US, except in GTI/R form.

Thank you for the input. Realizing now that maybe the GTI R isn’t the right fit for my budget (<$400).

I have been quoted for a 2019 GTI SE Manual Transmission w/ Experience Package:
MSRP $33,380
Selling price: $28,780 + tax and fees
Residual: $17,357
MF: 0.00117
Monthly: $0 down / $429, $1000 down / $399

Not great enough for me to seal the deal…

What do you guys think?

~Dennis

Dealer discount is about right maybe another $750 - 1k can be had. But monthly for the MSRP is very high. If you bought, 28k borrowed over 60 months at 2.9% apr would be about $500 per month and you’d be under warranty the whole time. Just for comparison.

1 Like

I’m also looking for a GTI or similar. Started off chasing after a Cornflower Blue Rabbit with DSG and got a dealer down to $28.2K out the door (Michigan taxes), but he can’t seem to locate one. Considering the SE with Experience now, as well. But probably buying rather than leasing. Got a quote without the package for just a hair under $30K out the door. Putting that through the calculator on this site gives me $320-ish/month for 36/15,000. But that seems a bit optimistic, does it not?

Yeah…add $100😩

I guess i got lucky then! I got a new 2017 GTI S for 21K OTD back in 2018 March.

Yeah that was before the new warranty that started in 2018. Some crazy deals back then.

is the preferred employer incentive the 500 under dealer invoice, what would that be for a golf r?

Isn’t that incentive valid for every model except the R?

MSRP wasn’t as high in 2017 and there were way more incentives. 2019 is a vastly different incentives environment for vW.

IMO it’s going to be challenging to get a great deal on a something like an R that doesn’t see much of a discount. You might be better off buying it and selling it after a few years (look up historical values). I did that with my STI and it was cheaper than leasing.

If you’re not getting a solid deal, wait until next year. New GTI/R is supposed to be unveiled later this year with release next year. If you’re not getting a hefty discount, might as well at least have the latest/greatest version.

Golf R is awesome but leases terribly. I have had 2 GTIs and one R32 but ended up with a BMW 340i for much less than one can lease a Golf R for…I don’t regret it one bit

3 Likes