Any VacationHackrs?

just putting this out there, ive used jetblue vacations for booking airfare and hotel, and they do come out cheaper than booking airfare and hotel separately. only downside of jetblue vacations is that they have limited international locations (currently growing), and there are no refunds, instead you get travel credit to be used at a future date.

I realize at $10 we’re getting into panhandling territory, but we use Rover and will use this offer toward pet care while we’re away for most of the rest of the month.

This is on my Citi AAdvantage Executive card, but it pops up regularly on other Citi cards as well (sign into your account and look for “Merchant Offers”).

Side note on the Executive card:

While it has a $450 AF, it includes Admirals Club membership for me and my 3 authorized users (spouse, Dad, Mom).

I’m the only one who travels enough to justify buying an AC membership, but just for me a standalone membership would cost $550 in year 1 and $500 a year after that.

2 Likes

Just rebooked:

Jan 14 (originally 22,500 miles, canceled / rebooked similar itinerary for 12,500)
Feb 4 (originally 20,000 miles, canceled / rebooked similar itinerary for 12,500)

Rebooking these two saved 17,500 miles.

My other two existing itineraries are still pricing the same as when they were booked, but I’ll keep an eye on them.

Glad I’m not the only that does this. Was out in Vegas last week, I rebooked the outbound 3 times over the preceeding month from 16k>14k>12.5k>10.5k.

5,500 miles is 5,500 miles.

4 Likes

Hardly an epic hack, mainly a shoutout to @trism for alerting me to the $500 cash back US Bank card.

Huntington Beach CA Hilton for 3 nights on points earned from Hilton AMEX sign up bonus

Leftover flight credit +$300 cash for 3 roundtrip tickets DEN - LGB

Rebooked Costco rental car 3 times from $205 down to $166

Used my $500 credit from US Bank card to cover flights and car so had a nice long weekend paying just for food.

4 Likes

Well done.

Capital One’s OTA continues to be an absolute shitshow.

I booked r/t SAN-MRY on Alaska and paid with points.

Alaska had a schedule change and eliminated their non-stop on one of the planned travel days, so Capital One sent an email telling us that the Alaska had canceled our flights.

So I called into the OTA about two weeks later and was told that Alaska would eventually rebook something else for us, but had no idea when this might happen.

We were offered the option to cancel the already-canceled itinerary and have the points refunded, which I accepted (with the intention of rebooking).

Now we have a $396.00 trip credit on Alaska, when I was told to expect a refund of the points.

Now it’s time to rebook and I’m trying to use the flight credits, but clicking the “Book with Credit” button does nothing except pull up a phone number.

play OTA games, win OTA prizes

1 Like

I was thoroughly aware of the general tradeoffs going in.

But nothing could have prepared me for how awful Capital One’s is.

You don’t just have skeeball tickets, you have skeeball tickets from a traveling carnival that left town. Why do you put yourself through this?

1 Like

It’s a game to see how little of our own money I can spend on revenue tickets to requalify for EP status, which gets me lots of upgrades on flights I book in Economy with someone else’s money.

Or was that a rhetorical question? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey – remember what we always tell ourselves when this happens:

There are no mistakes in this hobby… just really inconvenient DPs :wink:

Anyone have honeymoon recommendations? Not looking to lie on a beach all day. Like being active, like history, etc.

My fiancé and I are both from the middle east, so we were thinking turkey/morocco. Also in the cards was southeast asia - countries tbd. We’ve both been to Italy, France, and the Netherlands so avoiding those.

I was thinking about South America also. Anyone been or have other thoughts / recs?

Sure. Don’t get married lol
Try Portugal, maybe. Close to Morocco also.

5 Likes

Maldives. :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

9 Likes

Just come to so cal @Bumboola

I’m from SoCal bro, can’t go back for longer than a week😂

Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam. Cheap and plenty of things to see.

1 Like

What time of year? If late spring/summer, I’d recommend a loop through Austria/Switzerland/Germany…

1 Like