Any VacationHackrs?

It’d be in october of this year

Do you have status with any airline or hotel group?

Cambodia and Laos.

Stay in the various Amans.

3 Likes

I will suggest Turkey and Croatia ( Dubrovnik, Split, Hvar island) You can get cheap deals in October.

1 Like

Nope :slight_smile: my mom [does] or her dad might

we actually honeymooned in myanmar which was the best trip ever, but unfortunately, the goverment is too focused on rohingya genocide to make this recommendable right now.

2 Likes

The literal goat :goat:

1 Like

Check the weather. It choked a meaningful amount of enjoyment out of our trip last year (Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore).

I’m not necessarily sorry we went, but we’re in no hurry to return to the area (we only chose it the first time because it aligned with a conference).

2 Likes

+1. You can visit all of them in the same trip with some planning as well. I’ve never been to Greece but I’d assume there’s a TON of history there. Also, depending on what history interests you, there’s a lot of fascinating stuff in the UK. Fly into a major airport and rent a car and just drive to the different towns

I loved Buenos Aires, and there’s tons to do in Argentina/Chile/Uruguay as far as outdoorsy trips, hiking, being active.

Someone else mentioned Switzerland / Germany / Austria. Summers there are fun for hiking, biking, swimming in the alps + you get to hit the autobahn… And to keep this on track - trips to Europe are very hackable with plenty of flight options in business using points… Singapore JFK-FRA, Swiss/LH/Austrian to various locations using Lifemiles, great last minute availability. Conversely can use Air France with a layover through Paris (transfer from citi/chase/amex) - good rates if you book long time ahead.

Mainland greece is more about history and hiking than the islands

1 Like

Very little to do in Istanbul and full of pickpockets and scammers.

1 Like

South Africa.

Fly into the eastern part of the country and do a multi-day safari. Kruger is incredible but the private/smaller game reserves are also amazing. They’re a bit more fun because you’re not guaranteed to see everything. Then, drive the Garden Route to George area and luxury camp for a night. Head to Hermanus for incredible whale watching (September/October). Then, Stellenbosch and end up in Cape Town. Stunning city that is hard to beat for a mix of city, mountains, and ocean. Its amazing.

6 Likes
1 Like

Barcelona (fam favorite, history, beaches, affordable and great food),
Lisbon (not great for swimming, great food and lots to see, affordable) and
southern Italy Tropea (nice beach, good food, affordable if you can get there and lots of history).
Usually flights to Barcelona and Lisbon are pretty cheap from larger cities in US. @Bumboola

Friends did something similar to this and loved it. But personally I’m not a fan of travel website trips
https://www.travelzoo.com/vacations/europe/-749-Road-trip-through-Tuscany-6-nights-w-air-car-3008735/?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email&utm_content=3008735&utm_campaign=us_top20_2023_3_deal%3A3008735&deliveryName=DM49610

4 Likes

I absolutely loved Barcelona when I went. Thank you for the suggestion and thank you all for the help! We really have an amazing community here

Hey, anyone got advice on upgrading on a intercontinental code shared AAir/BA flight, operated by British Air. This is San Diego to Paris, so Non-stop from Calif to London is the focus. Got AA Platinum status, planning on cash buy of Premium Economy which is " World Traveller Plus". Big Question: is the only way to get into Business (First on this plane, ABus A350) is to buy Prem Economy and use miles to upgrade?
Don’t have time to accumulate the Avios points; buying this weekend, flying in three weeks.
Connecting thru DFW flying all AAir operated flights is an option.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

AA typically has better last minute miles deals. With BA, you have high fees plus you have to pay for a seat even if using miles for prem economy or biz class.

1 Like

Is there another carrier that works?

In order to upgrade a BA metal flight with AA miles you must be on a full fare (W for Premium Econ) which will be prohibitively expensive, think $5k+. You can usually just buy discount business for cheaper.

If you can stick to AA metal through DFW then you can book the cheapest non-basic economy fare and upgrade for 25k AA miles + $350, each way. There probably won’t be any upgrade space available at booking though, so you’ll be put on the waitlist, but generally speaking February is a dead time for Europe travel and upgrades are easier. If you can fly midweek your chances will increase tenfold.

Another option is to just buy economy on any AA option, then check your reservation online and in the AA app as AA will almost certainly have some sort of buy-up offer to PE and business for $$.

Ok, thanks Jeff and the others above for the info. Work is covering one ticket Premium Economy ticket (not companion, which is the cost issue), so will be buying that and see what kind of offers we get to move to Biz as we get closer.
United & Delta are options but have no status with either and this trip with AA/BA will put me over into Platinum Plus, so not looking at anything non One World unless it’s a crazy hack.
There is a Lifemiles points sale that could get Star Alliance biz class at a discount but I couldn’t find anything on the LM’s clunky reward search page. Is there any other way to book using Lifemiles? There is an One World Air Tahiti Nui non-stop out of LAX that’s almost worth the drive … any experience with them?

Thanks & Much appreciated.