Any Home Windows Hackrs?

I don’t think you’ve mentioned a budget yet, but the little searching at the time I was looking at replacement indicated that triple paned is generally way more expensive than dual paned. It’s also much thicker and much heavier (so more difficult to install).

Is there a reason why you want triple paned?

If this is a replacement, the sill is totally separate from the window box itself, right?

And, again, what geographic area are you in? Okna, mentioned above, has a great reputation but isn’t easily available in all parts of the US.

Actually - triple pane windows are no longer the standard. I recommend using a company that has a high quality coating of Low E (Low emissivity metal oxides) that reduces radiation passing either way through the glass. Polycarbonate spacers is recommended as well, it reduces the expanding and contrasting of the window as seasons change. A blown seal means moisture between the glass - so I would make sure you use a company that has a high rating on trust pilot or a review site that allows you to see what people say about warranty claims.

Also - make sure the vinyl is fully insulated in all chambers. A vinyl window without insulation is worse than wood, as at least wood is densely packed material.

Power home remodeling group if they are in your area. They make their own windows. A little pricey, but very good quality and installation - they install themselves, no subcontractors.

Just for the laugh - Anderson quoted me $12k for a sliding door and install. I went to my local lumber/home store who sells the brand and door was $1800 on the exact same spec. Run away!

1 Like

Anderson at Home Depot is not the same as regular Anderson - in material or installation quality. Be careful with using subcontracted labor, they have very little motivation to do the job right, and may not even be expert installers. Hope your install went well though.

Also - I would never hire a company who used mass produced windows or sliding doors. Custom measurements and manufacturing is a must, IMO. Adjusting the space to the window either means theyre using wooden shims, giving you less glass, or possibly damaging existing material. I would never trust a window installer to do significant frame work - widening exterior openings usually requires permits.

Reasonable cost for a window less than 100 inches (width plus height) is $900-$1400. I wouldn’t spend more, I also wouldn’t spend less. Round or shape style windows will always be much more.
Reasonable cost for a standard 5 or 6 ft wide sliding glass door is about $4k-5k. 3 panel is about 30% more, custom sizes can be much more.

This is in a metro area, YMMV.

That’s false.
You know home depot carries the real anderson and then renewal by anderson right? Home depot also sells American craftsmen by Anderson

Not sure if this website is accurate, but it doesn’t list any Renewal by Andersen windows (doing a search for that on the Home Depot site doesn’t result in any hits):

1 Like

That’s weird. The last time I got renewal by anderson windows (2017-18ish), we picked them up from Home Depot

did you order in-store? they often have more options using the in-store system which pulls direct from vendor.

1 Like

I think it all depends on your budget OP. We all want the best, but are we willing to spend $1000 + per window ? If you don’t like dealing with pushy salespeople, go to HD or Lowes with your measurements and get a quote for those vinyl remodeling windows. You can ask them to quote a few of the brands they carry. Then add $100 -$300 per window labor, depending on your tolerance level for handyman or window installers.

The stuff Home Depot and Lowes carries is not the same as the regular line. It’s mass produced line that’s cheaper quality. Home Depot has Anderson and Lowes uses Pella.

Same thing goes for their plumbing fixtures.

Want a solid window? Go Marvin but you gonna pay for it.

yes in store product. but home depot can order through the desk to access the rest of the lines for special orders.

1 Like

I said my local lumber/home store, not a big box aka HD or Lowes. On the other hand, HD and Lowes, even with subs, are great for simple things like carpets/runners from my experience.

No worries, not a lot of stores carry Anderson products. Either way stock windows can be a challenge to fit correctly. I personally stick with custom order, but price then gets tougher…

I also use depot or lowes for plenty, just not windows

1 Like

Custom, too. When I read the houzz forum (where everyone is talking about custom windows), the pros there always point to installation first when there’s a problem. I know there were installation issues w/ mine, and that I had to explain to the specific installer (who wasn’t the owner or the person holding the license) that wood window trim is NOT a water proofing element (when installer tried to blame the rotting wood trim for the leaks).

2 Likes