Amex Plat - 150K Bonus Point; Gold - 90K Referrals

Now I wait patiently for AA to make a move.

Until then, status quo looks like this.

[The statement credits represent $50 a year of my own money clawed back from the $199 annual fee I pay for this card. You know, a “credit card benefit.” :smiley: ]

Speaking of wifi, I just learned that the wifi subscription charges count as incidental travel fees on AA, and as such, can be used to burn through the $200 airline credit.

I switched the billing over to the Platinum for a couple of months to use up the rest of the < $100 that was remaining.

When Gogo was their wifi provider, Gogo was the merchant for the transaction, and therefore those charges didn’t qualify for reimbursement; but AA is the merchant on their Viasat-equipped aircraft (which is almost everything at this point.)

Next year I’ll use the entire $200 credit this way.

3 Likes

If you haven’t used your $200 FHR hotel benefit and are in the SE US, stop at the Thompson Savannah. Since its a FHR property, you only need to stay a night to redeem the $200 credit. Staying there includes a $100 “experience credit” which can be used for F&B, as well as breakfast for 2 at their in house restaurant. It is a bit far down from the riff-raff in Savannah (a decent walk), but is only a year old and right on the riverfront. Hotel was $350/night on a Friday which ended up costing me <$200 all in, meals included. The swordfish special in the restaurant was really good.

4 Likes

So I signed up at got the 150k bonus points and looking to redeem. Seems like it’s basically a 1:1 conversion unlike Chase? Or am I missing something?

Lots of articles on how to use MR points most effectively. Travel partners are usually the best, particularly for international travel, but lots of options.

1 Like

I would use those for $1,500 in (most likely domestic) revenue tickets at 1 cpp.

Others will roll their eyes and/or drop dead of a heart attack after reading that.

How much value you get from them will depend on the highest and best use for your needs.

2 Likes

There is a 35% points rebate when booking a flight on your selected airline.

Or transfer them to partners.

1 Like

If you get a Schwab Amex you can cash them out at 1.1 cpp. The 35% points rebate requires a Biz Plat but does result in a 1.54 cpp redemption.

Platinum 150k: American Express

Gold 90k: American Express

Long live the churn, both cards are great, YMMV, please stay financially vigilant

Which can sometimes get you spending less points than the airline’s quoted mileage required. Example-
A $300 AA fare might be 25k AA, but if AA is your preferred airline w your Amex Plat, you spend 30k MR for that flight, but get a 10.5k MR rebate a few weeks later, and net 19.5k MR points vs AA’s 25k (hence the 1.54 cpp).

PSA: Don’t forget to use your $50 Saks credit for Jan-Jun 2023.

It’s rare that these credits line up with something I need (or even want), but this time around I was fortunate(?) to have my pepper grinder die early in the cycle, so I used the credit to pick up a replacement.

Side note: I don’t ever again want to go a week without pepper.

2 Likes