Am I nuts for mulling getting my teenager a sports car as her first car?

That’s crazy. I never knew that. 14/15yo is just bananas.

I personally think 16yo is too young .

That and the written/road driving exams in the US are a joke. Take any 16yo kid with half a brain and they can pass both written and road exams on their first try.

They need to completely revamp the testing system here. Too many folks on the road that really shouldn’t be licensed to drive. I see it everyday. Kids, extreme elderly etc. folks who have no clue what they’re doing or no longer can physically operate a vehicle.

That’s scary.

1 Like

Yup. Lots of people don’t even know how to turn on their lights, or use turn signals.

Went down the rabbit hole on this and found Kansas rules:

A farm permit shall entitle the licensee, who is at least 14 years of age, but less than 16 years of age, to operate the appropriate motor vehicles at any time: while going to or from or in connection with any farm job, employment or other farm-related work; on days while school is in session, over the most direct and accessible route between the licensee’s residence and school of enrollment for the purpose of school

So I think this means an 8th grader can drive to school and/or a job on a farm.

Yeeegads.

Yeah, kind of. I knew and it’s crazy, but was referring to even 16 being too early. Kids can’t legally start killing themselves with tobacco and alcohol until 21, but can start putting themselves and others at risk at 16.

Nj they used to be able to get it at 15 as well. All the future farmers of America kids I went to high school with were driving trucks to school in sophomore year. Everyone else had to wait until 17

Yes, you are. You are just asking for trouble by giving a novice driver a powerful sports car.

1 Like

I spent almost a year trying to find a good condition stick shift 135 before I gave up and bought a E46 M3. Love the suggestion, but they are so hard to find in good condition, especially if you want to convertible!

1 Like

I’d vote to swap the driving age and the drinking age. Such a recipe for disaster that kids are figuring out their limits around drinking right around the time they’re new drivers

2 Likes

Have a buddy who grew up in poverty and became a neurosurgeon. First big gift to himself was the car of his dreams, a new 911 Turbo. Throughout the next few years he worked on so many injury/death cases resulting from car accidents that when his lease ended he traded the Porsche in for an SUV and has not looked back. The risk/reward is of course up to you, but I’m sure there’s a nice cool/safe car middle ground.

1 Like

I would vote to sell her the family car at a reasonable price. And get a Tesla Model 3 or y for you.
If you value her life, do not let her near a 911. An old Suburban or a Tesla would be a much safer bet. A model 3 would be even safer, but that is probably out of the price range. In any event, she needs to earn the car. Free stuff is not appreciated.

1 Like

Horse died a long time ago