Am I nuts for mulling getting my teenager a sports car as her first car?

You’ve been to his rear end?

3 Likes

I’d wager 80% of all of them have had the IMS done by now. You buy one that has had it and don’t worry about it. The ones I owned had the IMS done. The 05s with the replaceable ones are the unicorns. It’s only some 05s and you can tell by the engine number. I can’t remember the exact details but something like all engine numbers up to 12345 have the replaceable ones. Engine number 12346 and on don’t.

But the fun part comes with 997 where the IMS issue is kinda moot but then there is the bore scoring issue which fills Rennlist with endless debate.

Yeah, I have heard a bit about the bore scoring and how it was actually bigger than the IMS, but haven’t delved too deep since I am not in the market. Since it sounds like you have had a few, is the 991 too big and bulky? A 991 Cab. is my backup plan if I can’t get the 718 I want.

Yeah 991 is way too big for me. I remember the first time I sat in one and was like whoa, WTF happened to this, it’s like a Lincoln town car or something. Granted they are fast as hell, but it really put me off 911s after that.

The 997.2 is kinda seen by most as the best one. It’s post IMS issues and the last “small” one. But good luck finding a manual? There were not very many made to begin with since in 2009, 2010 the recession was on so there were few sales. And then of the few sales that were, the vast majority were with the PDK since that was the hot new thing. So to find a 997.2 with a manual that wasn’t beaten up, is challenging.

Yeah, I remember back in 2014 I was looking for a replacement for my C6 Corvette and there was a 2009 911 at a Mercedes dealership that looked like the perfect spec for around $50k. I made an appointment to check it out and test drive it, but it was already sold by the time I got there. I ended up buying a 2011 Z4 manual that was very attractive, but proved to be a huge disappointment in the driving area, even after mods.

2 Likes

Off topic but the best way to fix the IMS issue is just do an LS swap lol.

2 Likes

Never mind being the cool dad. You are her father not her friend. If you spoil your kid with a nice car at that age you better be prepared for a lifetime of disappointment.

I had friends who’s parents did the same thing and it encouraged a lifetime of relying on mommy and daddy for things, always feeling like you were too good for certain things, and a total complex of never being able to feel good enough about the possessions you did have. Even if it was a once and done (it never is), she will have an expectation around her by others that she probably doesn’t need.

If you are rich and planning to fund her forever, rock on I guess…

Get a new miata or 86/brz and call it a day. Can have a set of blizzaks for winter. And you would still be the coolest dad.

Great first car. Solid history and built like a tank too. And it’s not like a 128i is crazy fast.

1 Like

Is it auto?

Yes it is auto

With the benefit of hindsight would you have wanted your parents to get you a 911 for your first car?

If yes, go for it!

If no (like a lot of people on this forum are saying, me included) then consider the safety aspects and get one for her when she finishes college or something =)

1 Like

Middle-aged unsuccessful realtor vibes…

But joking aside, the OP’s daughter wants a 6MT.

3 Likes

Nah, realtors need a functional back seat, no? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They’re all RX350’s around here…so they don’t stand out at all, really.

i’m sure xxx other people have probably said it before, but why not a manual wrangler? It’s manual, it’s fun to drive, great high school / college car, doesn’t go super fast, retains value fairly well, you can bang it up and fix parts yourself relatively easily, and it’s pretty safe / sizeable

When I got to college I was like why do so many kids have wranglers, how odd (they didn’t have many in EU where I grew up)… Then I got my first 4xe last year and I was like shit this thing is really cool, practical, fun, no wonder so many had Wranglers.

4 Likes

I’d always considered the Jeep the least practical vehicle ever built…can pack a bunch a people, cant pack in a bunch of stuff, sits too tall and heavy to be efficient, what could you possibly use it for? “Then I got my first 4xE”.

3 Likes

IMO this is the same fallacy as

“Diesels are great.”
“Manuals are great.”
Ergo
“Diesel manuals must be great.”

No.
Diesel manuals are awful.

Some combinations just won’t work.
Wranglers are great at being Wranglers.
Sports coupes are great at being sports coupes.
Don’t expect one to be good at being the other.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean? Just saying Wrangler is a great college / young kid car imo and available in manual if they want a manual transmission.

1 Like