Am I nuts for mulling getting my teenager a sports car as her first car?

WHO WOULDN’T LIKE A CROWN VIC IN HIGH SCHOOL, SORRY?

Complete Sentence

Samcrac’s stepmom seems to like hers.

1 Like

The Ferrari overshadowed the other cool car in that movie. Ferris’s dad had a red Audi 5000 Turbo. Chefs kiss.

1 Like

maybe you should just get her a Willys 4xe… :rofl:

2 Likes

2022 Mazda3 6-speed with separate summer and winter tires

Although it’s priced just like other compacts, the 2023 Mazda 3 aspires to compete with more premium cars—and in many ways it does. The 3 is available as either a sedan or a hatchback, and both are equally as handsome and agile. Two four-cylinder engines are offered, including a punchy turbo, and you can even have all-wheel drive if you want—though that means skipping the excellent six-speed manual. Other compact cars such as the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Volkswagen Jetta might seem more practical or have more name recognition, but the Mazda 3 is made for those buyers who value a gratifying driving experience and seek premium interior materials in their small car.

it was up running like nothing happened. replaced the bumper plus bull bar for like $150

i loved that car

1 Like

And when she wraps it around a pole? Get her something that will stay out of the shop

1 Like

Why not? Do you love her and want her to survive into adulthood? You’re reducing her chance of living into adulthood by about 50%. So if you hate her and rest of your family then go for it. But when she is killed or kills someone else you’ll receive the blame. You will no longer have a family and likely end up taking your own life as well. But apparently your ego is bigger than your logical thinking. You have already made up your mind anyway so why even post this?

I agree that it’s better to have a fairly modest car as your first. But a non S model Cayman or Boxster are much cheaper to maintain and not crazy fast if you must have Porsche. Amazing handling and well-built with Porsche styling and safety.

In this market you’ll never find a 911 in your $30k budget!

Why do people keep saying this? Putting aside the wisdom of a teenager having one, under $30K there are currently 136 options here alone. I picked a random zip code, this is a nationwide search.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=12345&maxPrice=30000&showNegotiable=false&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&distance=50000&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d404

Oh, but Porsche 996… :frowning:

Only 60 are MT.

How many would remain in this hypothetical budget after a PPI?

Pretty sure at least 1/60, lol.
Mid $20s is the going rate for a 996 with mid/highish miles and in good condition. I don’t get where this idea that they’re $50K or whatever comes from. This is the red headed step child of the Porsche family because the purists hate the headlights. And no I’m not kidding.

Ugh. Why would you even get her a car?

1 Like

I feel like OP may be using his daughter as an excuse to have a 996 in his garage. I’ve done this before with my younger brother with a BRAND NEW BMW M and trust me, you’ll regret it

If your daughter wants a Porsche, a used Macan that has some safety options is the answer. Nothing else, not even a Cayenne

3 Likes

Posterior sourced internet stat of the day.

do it already man @Boomba

Putting aside safety due to being a sports car and potential repair costs, what about her personal safety from the thing just being likely to break down? Young girl stranded on the side of the road, bad or rural area, waiting hours for a tow…

Also, she may be super responsible, but what if she finds herself a bit drunk some night. I mean it has happened to the best of us. She doesn’t even have to drive. Maybe she lets a sober friend drive, but they aren’t used to that type of car and they crash.

It’s just a ridiculous idea. Even my 11 year old daughter told me she doesn’t want a nice car for her first car because she will still be learning and probably damage it. To echo a few previous suggestions, get her something reasonable to drive through school and get her something nice for graduation if you must.

1 Like

Kids say the darnest things

3 Likes

I know, their unpredictability is a lot of fun. The other day my wife commented on the queen’s passing and my youngest daughter asked if we have to go to the funeral. :laughing:

8 Likes