Ally Lease Buyout in NY - My Experience

, ,

Thought I would share my experience with my Ally Lease Buyout. 2018 - 2 year old Alfa Stevio Quad.

My Buyout: $47,000 with tax
Dealer Buyout: $62,000 (Yup)
Estimated Resale Value: $56,000

So I sent Ally a check for $47,000 on 6/21. Ally processed on 6/26. Emailed me the buyout papers via Docusign 6/29. Received the Bill of Sale, Odometer statement, sales tax via email on 7/2. Received Lien Release on 7/9. Receiving signed over title this week.

HOWEVER, another snag. I need to go to NYS DMV, submit all my paperwork and wait a minimum of 4-6 weeks to get Title in my name. In fact, they said donā€™t call before 90 days.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do an Ally Lease Buyout. Figure 2-3 months minimum before you can actually sell the car on your own. Unless I missed something?

2 Likes

Iā€™m in a completely different boat

Payoff received and cashed on 6/22.

Crickets since lol - but hey, they closed out my Ally auto account so thatā€™s good.

Ally has gone downhill in a major way.

1 Like

Ouch. I am going to PM you someone in their ā€œRemarketing Deptā€ that is very responsive and handles the lease buyouts. She usually responds to me within an hour. Iā€™ll also send you the phone # to the buyout dept.

2 Likes

You better hope resale doesnā€™t plummet in the next 4-6 weeks

1 Like

I know! Actually went up a little in last month. I knew it was going to take some work, but not this much work and this much time.

Could you also PM me? Iā€™d like to put her in contact with my Vroom person so they can hopefully clear the issue quickly.

Sounds like the real wait time depends on the state/DMV.

OP Can you put New York in your title or tags? That why itā€™s easier to know which state this process followed in searches.

Hopefully everyone remembers which lenders are pulling this BS on their customers.

I get that Vroom, Caravan & the other 3rd party buyers may be complicating things a little for the Finance Companies. Unfortunately these finance companies are basically trying to eliminate any competition for the dealer/manufacturer you bought the vehicle from. Leased a GM, Etc & unless you buy/lease another GM we are going to gouge you on the buy out of your currently leased vehicle. There is a huge problem with this business practice as where does it end.

They set the terms of these leases & now they want retail value from the dealer when you trade in your leased vehicle. These same finance companies didnā€™t care a bit about you 1 yr ago when your lease buyout was more than the vehicle was worth. They didnā€™t accept the current value as a buy out then did they?

I understand the argument that you donā€™t own the vehicle so you are at the mercy of the Finance Company. The problem is maybe you put a bunch of money down which is Ill-advised but does happen or you drove few miles during the pandemic. Your actions directly contributed to the increased retail value of the vehicle at that moment in time and you should be able to benefit from them.

You can. All you have to do is buy out your lease, in accordance with the terms set in the contract when you signed it, and you can pocket all the equity you want.

I know you are new, because the answer to this is [Practically all of them now.]
Almost all (well after 8/1 TFS joins this), are forcing people to buy the car and get out of direct selling of their property

Agreed. they are effectively taking away a persons ability to trade in their lease at any dealership other than the same manufacturer.

All these older leases state you canā€™t sell to a third party?

My apologies as I havenā€™t leased a vehicle for a long time.

I have never seen a lease that states you can sell to a third party (at least not without prior written consent from the lessor).

It was allowed and occurred correct?

Yeah, at first it feels wrong but thatā€™s one of the reasons I always lease so I donā€™t have resale risk. There were years that finance companies got crushed on residuals so only fair that they get the profit for taking the risk when times are good. Also, if I had an accident the finance company takes the hit on resale value not the consumer. Canā€™t have if both ways.

1 Like

I happenedā€¦thatā€™s a fact.

You are reading the implied law wrong. Itā€™s not that it says you canā€™t sell to a 3rd party, itā€™s implied that you cannot sell their property and make a profit off it. But people were doing it, and they allowed it. Since they ā€˜allowed itā€™, itā€™s hard to stop, so they are making it so horrible to do, that no one will do it.

You can buy it for that low price because itā€™s written in the document and is legally binding, but selling to a 3rd party is implied to not be allowed, but they were allowing it. Thatā€™s like renting a car from Enterprise, selling it to Vroom and giving the car value to Enterprise. It doesnā€™t work that way and Enterprise can legally go after you and Vroom. Leases are the same way. But sometimes are allowing these sales to go through.

1 Like

There isnā€™t an obligation to sell to a third party. All of my leases have a clause in them that essentially say ā€œif we come to an agreement that weā€™re both satisfied with, we can mutually agree to terminate the leaseā€.

Selling to a 3rd party was previously mutually agreeable.

1 Like

Gotcha.

My point is more to the fact that this now enforced buyout clause can be used to coerce people to only shop at those places the Finance Company has business relationships with. That is if they want more than a break even deal on their trade.

Most will not go through the process to buy out their lease then start over.

Op Thanks for sharing

This is what I remember from my forms (I canā€™t find mine offhand, Kia used to keep it online)

So I read it as 'implied you cannot sell it to a 3rd party directly.
Now we can ā€˜bend itā€™ to say we purchasing it then selling it immediately, but then Taxes get involved.

But I donā€™t see how ā€˜Youā€™ can be applied to Vroom or Carvana.

What Iā€™m saying is that a 3rd party sale that has occurred would likely fall under the terms of mutually ending the contract rather than being them ignoring the rules laid out in the lease return section.