Ally can't take lease back

Need some help with Ally. My lease was up 7/15 but I’ve been trying to return my Alfa Stelvio since 7/1. I’ve called 10 Ally dealerships and no one will take it. I’ve spoken to Ally dozens of times and have called re-marketing at least 6 times but they can’t find anyone to pick it up. I offered to sell it to Vroom for $30K but they wont take anything less than $31,500. Meanwhile I’m paying insurance which they say they wont reimburse or provide their own insurance.

Any suggestions?

Park the car in your driveway (if possible), surrender your plates, remove the insurance, and have Ally pick it up at your door, whenever that may be. That’s what I would do…

1 Like

I would still keep some form of insurance on it - even if it’s a comprehensive policy for cars being parked long term - the last thing you want is for a branch to fall off a tree and hit it and now suddenly you’re responsible for $5k in damage.

1 Like

That’s true. But I would be curious to know what kind of liability the OP would have on an unregistered car since he has fulfilled his contractual obligation to the bank.

Or theft, or a freak hailstorm, or the mrs. who doesn’t see it and backs into it…

Definitely agree, don’t drop insurance until it’s gone and out of possession.

Unregistered doesn’t matter. Contractual obligation may, however it is still in his possession and he still has the ability to use it, so it might still be his problem. I definitely wouldn’t assume he’s off the hook in this situation though.

You wanna pay the legal fees to find out?

1 Like

What a great response to the OP’s question. Maybe you want to offer up alternative advice other than an unnecessary, and unhelpful passive aggressive response to my suggestion? Seems he’s stuck between a rock and a hard place.

3 Likes

If you’re going to imply a terrible strategy, expect to get called out on it.

Whatever OP’s options are, “let’s find out how much liability I personally have for an ungrounded, uninsured car” is the worst of them.

3 Likes

So in other words, you are good at calling out other people’s ideas but cannot offer up one of your own. Got it.

I would try calling them one more time. Tell them that the next call you make is going to be to the State Attorney General (email it too). Give them 24 hours, if they don’t do anything, proceed to the AG’s web site and file a complaint. I hate getting legal involved, but I’ve had to do it twice and companies are paranoid about AG’s. Both times the issue was amazingly resolved within two days.

If that’s how you want to interpret getting called out, so be it.

Feel free to insert the last word if that helps feel like winning.

I won’t be replying any further to your self-righteous indignation at having a terrible idea get called out.

How long have you been waiting to use that??

Getting “called out” is no problem to me. Of course you were a day late and a dollar short to the party since the posters above you actually explained why my suggestion was a bad one. And guess what? I agree with them now. But a “terrible idea” is still an idea, which is more than what you are able to provide it seems. Good day to you, sir, and happy hunting on the next keyboard feud you want to engage in.

OP does your lease agreement include anything helpful in the fine print?

The only thing the lease return section of the contract says is that I have to return to a “reasonable location” that Ally directs me to. They told me to go to their website and put in my zip and any dealer will take it. I did that but no dealer wants the car. I can’t find any law that specifically states they have to take it back on the date or…

All I can find online is that if my contract states I have to return it by a certain date then they have to take it back by that date, its an agreement. How do I enforce that with out getting an attorney. I just want the car gone.

This might be obvious. I take it you cannot return to the dealer that delivered the car. They are obligated to take it.

Agree. I would just show up to the dealership unannounced.

This makes me to worry.My lease ends in 20 days.Why wouldn’t any dealer wants to take?When I called Ally,they said just schedule an appointment and handover keys and car to dealership!

This is nothing new, been going since April. Start calling dealers and finding one that will take your return. Otherwise, call your lessor for a home-pickup (if they do it). Good luck!

1 Like

I just called nearby dealership. They said that I can return car anytime without any appointment

1 Like

Believe it or not I got a call at Lunch that transportation will be in my neighborhood. I ran home and they just left with the car.

One problem, he wrote up two dents which I disputed, I asked him to take new pictures with the Ally damage circle, he did and said the pics would be in the report but said the scratches were so small I shouldn’t worry about it. They were only about a quarter inch, very minor. I got the report there were no pictures included and the way he marked up the side of the car In the report it looks like a scratch on the whole door. I took a ton of pictures of the car inside and out before he took it but hope it’s not a problem.