Advice Needed: 3-Row SUV Needed Soon

Right. That is exactly my point. I feel like folks here are saying TCO is better when buying a Telluride right now vs. leasing something similar, but I only think that is true if resale market conditions stay the same as they are now, but who knows what 24 months will bring.

Would jump at that, but alas, no Volvo/Saab in the household.

I’m not against that idea. That then begs the question, do we think December lease programs are going to be decent (and I totally understand that today’s “decent” isnt exactly great). I might have to extend my current lease if I’m going to roll the dice and see what December programs bring (just so I’m not without a car for any period of time - got a toddler, etc).

My bad. It’s buttons. Point stands in that it is not a regular shifter.

December sales are the best IMHO, but you are also much more limited in your choices.

1 Like

Telluride TCO was doing really well pre-pandemic, so I did not judge my decision based solely on the chip-shortage era.

Yes, rising tides lift all boats but some boats were doing well before the tides rose.

I think some people assume these things just remain steady in value and don’t depreciate, and that’s why they are perplexed. That’s not what actually happens.
The delta between sticker and market price is close to 20%. When I drove my ~$42k EXP off the lot, it was worth ~$47k. Maybe 48. A year and 6,xxx miles later I sold it for ~$44.5.

So it did depreciate, by about $3,000 in its first year. While that number is suppressed by the conditions over the last year, that’s the steepest part of the curve and 2nd/3rd years are flatter. So I’m fairly confident that 3yr ownership of the refreshed model should see sub-$12k depreciation from sticker.

1 Like

Thats helpful. But, am I correct in assuming you sold it during the height of the pandemic/chip shortage when used vehicles were selling for crazy numbers because supply was so depressed?

In the northeast, looks like there’s brokers/dealers with deals on

2022 outgoing Pilot
2023 Pathfinder
2022 pre-refresh Ascent (maybe 2023 too with smaller discount?)
2022 Highlander (same as above for 2023)
Grand Cherokee L but you have to order and wait

1 Like

Any of these on the lot could be had for 10% off with tread lightly from Mitch at Ourisman Clarksville MD

https://www.ourismanchryslerdodgejeep.net/searchnew.aspx?Location=Clarksville%2C%20MD

Sold Sept 2022. Someone with Mannheim/MMR index data can correct me but we were 10%+ off peak by then.

There was no particular craziness going on, relative to prior periods. I solicited offers and got offers up to $47k+ in January which was crazy IMO on a FWD vehicle in the northeast and then got unsolicited calls/emails in April or May which I declined to engage with because I had no replacement lined up.

IIRC one of the May emails said they’d honor their January offer of 47… that would have made a much better TCO story if I wanted to cherry-pick or win internet points but selling then didn’t suit my life IRL.

But they are overpriced even after 10% off.

I dont think the telluride is anything special and you should not bank on resale being as strong the next 2 years as it has been the last 2 years.

I would rather be selling a used Toyota than a Kia

This topic happens so often, I think it needs its own subforum, or whatever it is called. Ask_the_Hackrs/3_row_SUV_no_I_dont_want_minivan_you_sexist_pigs

8 Likes

Telluride at sticker is more value than 10% off a lot of other SUVS for sure.

2 Likes

Its still a great story. But, my risk aversion personality makes me think you were lucky and that the same might not be able to be replicated in a couple years. That said, doesnt make the purchasing a Telluride vs. leasing something else a bad idea.

Ah well. Guess I’m back at square one anyway!

Meh. Toyotas are great value below $40K but NVH is bad as is infotainment/interior quality.

If you want cheap (or “rugged”) cars that have great drivetrains… Toyota is it. Toyotas are for folks who hate driving and want an appliance that gets them from A to B.

After owning two RAV4 Primes… I don’t want another Toyota. I’ll buy the Mazda version with the same drivetrain though.

1 Like

You can look at the TCO of other vehicles’ leases and see how much a Telluride would have to depreciate to equal it.

honestly Rav4 NVH is terrible compared to their other SUVs. My highlander feels better to me than the Palisade we test drove.

I have Kia Sorento hybrid and phev at msrp. Great deals on those. Gas also msrp.

Highlander hybrid and gas msrp also.

Telluride starts at 2500 over msrp

Text if interested

Jim
215-359-6836

1 Like

And the Palisade is pretty noisy compared to the Telluride. Car and Driver measured the two and the Palisade was 7 dB levels louder… that’s like comparing an EV to an ICE car. EVs are usually 63-67 dB and ICE cars are usually 70-73 dB or higher.

I test drove a Highlander… couldn’t stand the buzzy engine. Same with the Sorrento with the turbo 2.5L. What a horrible engine. Did the compact SUV test drive tour (CX-5, Outback, Tucson, RAV4 XLE gasser, Sportage) before buying an EV initially.