Additional Installed Equipment: I call bullsh*t

, ,

I am not a newbie by any stretch, as this will be my 5th lease transaction. If and when I’ve weeded through these shyster dealers. So with this latest communication, I have to call absolute BS. But perhaps I am mistaken?

“The equipment you have asked to be removed has come from the manufacturer, it it attached to the VIN of the vehicle and is not an option added by our dealership.” Really? A cargo mat, carpeted floor mats, cargo net, cargo cover and wheel locks are ALL attached to the VIN of the vehicle, to the tune of $510? This reeks identically to the $45 First Aid Kit and $300 Marketing & Promotion charges Hyundai tried to swindle me out of 3 years ago before I walked.

When I leased my Honda Civic in 2010, the dealer at the time told me that I had to spring for mud flaps which were already installed, but never requested by me in advance when I started the negotiations. So my response was, “Take them off, I didn’t ask for them. Do you need a screwdriver, because if so I have one right here we can use.” So they just left them on and removed their overpriced line item cost in the lease deal.

What is the straight dope here? Can dealers require buyers/leasers to pay for “Additional Installed Equipment”?

I don’t know anything about KIA, now known as KN, but on a BMW you can absolutely have accessories ordered with the car, that are shown on the window sticker and are part of the MSRP.

As a matter of fact, “cargo mat, carpeted floor mats, cargo net, cargo cover and wheel locks” all sound like things one could order on a BMW and have included on the sticker. I mean it’s simple, look at the original window sticker and see if it’s there. BMW even has a first aid kit.

You’re coming off as very angry, just fyi.

4 Likes

Of course I’m angry, duh! Do you like to be ripped off?

I think you should take car sales less personally

5 Likes

Thanks— but, no thank you. If I cared about what you “think” I’d have submitted a post requesting your opinions.

Is it on the window sticker? Those are all things that can be ordered from the factory and be part of the vin.

If they remove them and you lease the vehicle, youll be paying a lot more to replace them at lease turn in.

1 Like

Thanks for that information. They are on the Monroney label, however their individual line item amounts are not included in the MSRP.

This doesnt make sense. Can you post the sticker?

Monroney_KNDCR3L18R5080169.pdf (421.4 KB)

“MSRP INCLUDING OPTIONS”

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

3 Likes

They may be a part of a protection package, so you’ll see the total cost for the package but not each line item’s.

1 Like

When I got my IONIQ 5, “cargo mat, carpeted floor mats, cargo net, cargo cover and wheel locks” were on the window sticker. You tagged EV and Kia, so perhaps it’s true. EDIT: Just saw the window sticker, not sure what you’re angry about, they came from the factory.

3 Likes

Read the window sticker he had posted.

It’s literally all on there.

1 Like

Theyre literally itemized on the window sticker…

6 Likes

So I’m getting huffy due to my own ignorance.

When I read MANUFACTURER’S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE at the top, I am taking that literally as THE MSRP. Once they’ve added on the ADDITIONAL INSTALLED EQUIPMENT, it really chaps my hide.

Takeaway for me: if it’s on the Monroney, I have to pay for it. Correct—no wiggle room?

2 Likes

You are not alone… here are some recent Chevrolet ones I have encountered: third brake light (makes it flash or something?), RecovR (like lojack?), car care package (Xzilon Paint Coating As well as Interior Carpeting, Seating, and Floor Mats), clear shield etc., just to name a few. One dealer has $2500 in add-ons, plus their $1k Florida doc fee. Others put window tint or pinstriping. Fun times!

1 Like

That is the base msrp for the trim level before any options, destination, etc. The actual msrp is the total price at the bottom.

1 Like

Additionally: I was aware of the $1,300 price for the Wind Preserve Package, want those additional features and was planning to include them in the lease proposal. But FYI for anyone else in the market for a Niro EV, and who may not have been aware of it, I was told that at least in the Pacific NW you HAVE to get either the Wind or Wave package due to our colder climate.

Your discount will be based on the total msrp price. They may be able to increase the discount by the amount of the option you don’t want, but they cant remove the fsctory options. Your residual value is based on the actual msrp and youre on the hook for returning it with all the factory options on the vehicle.

7 Likes

Thank you for that. I’ll take your advice and plug it in to my lease proposal.

1 Like