A lot of dealers are turned off talking about MF’s

I don’t really create new topics, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place. But I think this is worth sharing (for new people) because when it comes to understanding how to negotiate with dealers successfully, it appears a lot of people new to this forum are entering negotiations with the idea that turning the screws on dealers (when it comes to money factors) is a good idea. Sometimes it’s not.

I think the point of using this forum (as a resource) is to create informed buyers so that they can negotiate the payments they want for the vehicles they are pursuing. And when you are looking for well below market deals, sometimes we actually begin to sell the dealers on why they should give us the car at the price we want, not they other way around. To this point, there is an incredible amount of nuance there in terms the best way to go about this, but sometimes going into MF’s with the dealer is just simply the wrong way to go about it.

The strongest example I can give here is a new 65k MSRP c43 coupe I recently negotiated for $599.00/month (tax inclusive), first DAS. A unicorn to be sure; but unicorn or not, I didn’t get into MF’s with this particular dealer because I already knew what a below market payment looked like on this car, and I knew if I achieved anything sub 650/month, it was already a good deal, and whatever the dealer did to achieve these numbers was enough for me. I also could tell by how the conversation was going that if I started to get into things the dealer didn’t want to talk about, I could have very well turned them off and lost an opportunity.

The point here is to educate yourself before you even start to shop, and also understand the best way to talk to people to get what you want. Some dealers simply do not want to deal with a pompous @ss who thinks they know their business better than they do, and that’s how it comes across sometimes when getting into MF’s, program support and inventory with them. Of course, this is not always the case, and there are times when showing them how well informed you are is a good idea.

Bottom line: be humble, polite, direct, and know what you’re looking for and what you’re trying to achieve with payments (by doing research ahead of time) before you ever send an email or make a phone call. And if you don’t feel comfortable doing this and essentially flipping the script/actually being the one selling, HIRE A BROKER! Different broker deals are better than others; but if you don’t want to put in the time, they will likely pay for themselves.

This has been my personal experience over 20 years of leasing. I’d welcome a discussion if you have a different opinion, or can add constructively. This is obviously directed at new people…

2 Likes

Do you have the TL; DR version?

4 Likes

I think this is ^

3 Likes

But how did you know this?

1 Like

I read your post. You hit the nail right on the head. Too many newbies do not want to put in the work. They expect dealers to accept their unreasonable low-ball offer. Just 'cos “John” got 20% off MSRP on a previous year 5 series loaner with more than 4k miles, they feel they should get the same deal. These are brokers deal, btw.

I always tell newbies to educate themselves.

1 Like

Programs on this car are generally pretty bad. Achieving #’s like these are usually an exception/not rule in my experience. Seen many deals go out. If you know differently, please share tho

Was it an end of the quarter/year deal? Previous model year car?

Thats an awesome deal man, great work!!!

1 Like

No, it is not a deal until the lease is signed. And he did not take this “unicorn” for some reason. We know how some of these “unicorns” turn into pumpkins in finance office

3 Likes

So you never ran the math?

On this particular car, it ended up being just the right set of circumstances— ‘19 which I believe is losing support end of the month, coupe in Midwest with summer tires. Needed to find a home asap…

The plot thickens.

1 Like

I didn’t? Lol. Please elaborate…

Don’t want to search for your post where you said you didn’t.

Lol I’ll save you the time because I never said that…you are a negative guy. Seeking out my posts saying anything but something positive. And you’re a mod :man_shrugging:t2: Have some chocolate brother.

So when exactly did you sign the deal? Did you share it on LH?

This month. I referenced it on another thread, but didn’t post the deal sheet. So to some people here, it’s as good as vapor ware. This really wasn’t the point of this post though :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Certain pay plans have Sales Management earning off interest markup (F&I also) which in turn can entice them to take a loser deal on the front end to pick up the scraps on the back end.

If you ask for a number and they give it to you, focus on what’s important to you and take the deal or don’t. Just keep in mind that reneging because you didn’t take their coat, hat, shoes and belt can turn dealers against dealing with the “hackr” crowd.

1 Like

I must have misunderstood your “done negotiating” post. Never saw you actually saying “leased” nor your post in Share Deals (Unicorns deserve their place there). So, yeah.

1 Like

For MB deals, Brokers cant use Fleet discounts and such. Sometimes you just have to find the right salesperson.

2 Likes