40 Days After Lease - Dealer Demands $1300+ Payment

The payoff was obtained multiple times within a week. Between myself calling VW Credit and cross-shopping several other VW Dealers who pulled the number, it was the same every time. Residual value plus the 1 remaining payment.

This isn’t rocket science. This dealer is simply trying to rip me off due to their negligence.

I’m sorry @Palestar, but you never answer the relevant questions that are posed to you. You very well could be all wrong about this and the $1,300 is due. Instead you keep screaming bloody murder without having the facts.

It is hard to believe VW Credit and the dealer won’t cooperate to clear this up.

1 Like

What answer have I not provided? How am I wrong about this?

Was this your payoff amount or a dealer’s payoff amount? Or were they the same or both?

1 Like

@Palestar - this thread is now 124 posts long. Look at the questions I asked you and see if you answered them. I didn’t see any satisfactory answers. Several people here have suggested how the problem could have occured, including parking tickets, registration fees, missing payments, penalties, late payment fees, etc.

Does your old car show on your contract as a drop off (grounding, lease return) or as a trade in? Take a picture of the relevant portion of your contract and post it.

It was obtained both ways and the amount was the same.

I addressed all of these possible answers (or at least have tried to). I do not have any parking tickets, registration fees, late or missing payments, etc. This is not the issue! Until the dealership responds to my letter with the actual numbers and information, I won’t know for sure.

The old car was most definitely a trade-in. If it was a lease-return, I would have received a massive bill from VW Credit for over-mileage, which did not happen.

I will try and post up the contract when I get home this evening.

Does the amount on the contract match the amount you gave the dealer?

• what’s the most recent date you got that payoff?
  • when was your next monthly payment due?
  • VW Credit won’t verify how much they received or on what date? That seems unbelievable, being that it was your account. Have you tried calling VW Credit and see if you can speak to a manager?
  • have you tried to speak with the GM of the dealership? He should be aware of the situation. It seems unbelievable that they won’t discuss it with you, that the expect you to just write them a check for $1,300.

Sending them a certified letter doesn’t mean they will feel obligated to give you any more info. Legally, it could be useful.

The payoff quote was received on Sept 13th, the car was signed for on the 15th.

Next payment was due on the 28th. I received a $10 late fee on Oct 2nd, which is what stemmed this entire mess. The dealership didn’t even know my car had not been processed! I was the one who brought it to their attention because I was shocked to see my car trade-in had not been paid off yet.

VW Credit will not provide this information. Believe me, I’ve already escalated to a manager. The deal was between themselves and the dealership. Its the same reason VW Corporate is claiming they can’t help me, because the contract is between myself and Timmons.

To be completely honest, I don’t trust a word out of the mouth of anyone at this dealership. This was not the only issue I encountered post-sale. They straight up lied to VW Corporate, why would I trust them? Regardless, I need the information in writing for my own records and any potential legal proceedings.

The payoff they gave you should have been good through 9/27 and I believe they didn’t pay it off until around 25 days after you did the deal, which would have been around 10/10. That’s why you got a late fee. The payoff not being received until after 9/27 caused the 9/28 payment to be due, but even if it was, the revised payoff wouldn’t have increased by the amount of the payoff, maybe by half the payment or so.

I was thinking along the lines of something like this: you got a payoff on 9/10, did the deal on 9/12, and the payment wasn’t due until 9/14 and by the time the dealer paid it off, the 10/14 payment had come and gone.

It would be useful to see the relevant part of your lease contract.

Do you have access to your VW FS online account (https://www.vwcredit.com/Authentication/Login). That would show a statement of activity in terms of payments and payoffs. I’m guessing you can still access it now even if you’ve not used it previously.

Just the peanut gallery chiming in. As other have said, why not go with the unwind option (if they will do it).

Theres plenty of dealers that you can hit with just one rock throw (circle, commonwealth, mckenna, capo, norm reeves, galpin, bozzani, garden grove, etc…)

It does seem like you are making this out to be a much larger issue. I’m not say to “just pay the $1300”, but to bring the media and drama into this, its sa bit much. It’s not a TNT show :slight_smile:

Hopefully you get a resolution soon without seeing you on the news, i too am local :smiley:

You seem to have read only half the thread, the half were lots of people said to cancel the contract. The problem is the other half of the thread correctly states he can’t arbitrarily cancel the contract. Unless you’re willing to pay his legal fees lets stop suggesting that.

Also if you think being annoyed at being charged $1300 is drama, try backing out of a contract with a major financial company. They’ll bury him.

1 Like

Nope, read it all. I never saw any part where he addressed if he tried this. You did see where i put “(if they will do it)” or did you just ignore that?

The drama is involving the news and making it a consumer case.

I do have access to this, but there is no information regarding payoff amounts anymore. It’s been ‘cleared’, because the account was paid off.

Did you have to re-write a contract after your first one? Or what was the other issue you mention? (Now I am just being nosey - kinda). I mentioned before, if they asked you to re-sign a contract but you took some time to actually come in and do so then that may be the reason they didn’t payoff the loan for so long.

Yah, I guess you’d just bend over with your check-book when getting scammed for over $1000.

Sorry, I don’t take it lightly, not will I just fold. I actually have a backbone and refuse to get screwed.

There was no other contract. Just the original signed on 9/15.

Other issues are not related, so I won’t go into it, but needless to say the dealership is run by incompetents who can’t even handle DMV registration correctly.

Where did i say that at all?!

But i’m going to assume that you didnt even ask to unwind the deal since the terms had changed.

Of course I did. It was my 1st conversation with management at VW Credit. Give me a break!