40 Days After Lease - Dealer Demands $1300+ Payment

I leased a VW GTI through Timmons Volkswagen in Long Beach, CA in the middle of September. I had a 2015 VW Passat as trade-in that was leased through VW Credit, which was paid off by the dealer.

Today, almost 40 days after I signed the lease papers, I get a letter from the dealer demanding payment. They claim the payoff figure on the Passat was $1300 more than what they were quoted and I’m responsible for the difference.

I was cross-shopping VW Dealers and received the pay-off figure several times. It was always the same amount, which is what was used on the lease paperwork. Even if there was a discrepancy in the amount, the dealership should be responsible for verifying any numbers with VW, prior to presenting and signing paperwork. How on earth is this my responsibility?

Anyone have any advice here? I feel like the dealer hasn’t a leg to stand on.

Tell them they can unwind the deal, and you can return their car to them as a used vehicle. You won’t hear from them again.

19 Likes

Shame on them for not verifying at the time, I think all they do is plug it into the computer to get it. Sounds kind of fishy.

The other super fishy part of the story is, I had to call 25 or so days after I signed the papers, to verify everything had gone through because I hadn’t received an invoice yet (and my old account was showing open with VW)

Magically I get a payoff statement from VW within 24 hours ($0 balance). About a week later I get a voice mail from the sales manager, which I never returned and today get this certified letter demanding payment.

That’s kind of what I was thinking as well… :grinning:

1 Like

I’m here for the outcome :popcorn:

5 Likes

It has expiration date, so who knows. The dealer might have sat on it and submitted the payment after payoff quote had expired. But I doubt it would differ by $1,300 within a short period of time or even a month.

1 Like

Sounds like they didn’t turn your car in right away, there’s no reason the payoff is going to change that much.

That’s the part I don’t understand, and if they did sit on it, how is it my responsibility?

Have you gotten a statement on the GTI for the first payment?

Also what dealer does a trade-in without verifying the payoff amount?!? I could have told them it was $1000. It’s nonsense!

1 Like

Yes and everything looks fine there

Call VW credit and see what they say. I’ll bet the dealer let the next two payments become due before they paid it off. I’m sure the dealer can pound sand. Tell them to review this before you review them on Yelp and Google and file a complaint with VW.

2 Likes

FAX/email the dealer a copy of the payoff statement. It sounds as though the dealer is liable as they have taken the vehicle into their care and custody.

I’m going to call VW Credit this afternoon, but not sure how much it will help. There was only 1 payment left on the trade-in and was accounted for in the payoff amount.

You are responsible for the payments on your old car until it is paid off. So the dealer probably tried to sell it before paying off VW. Did you get any late payment notifications on your old car from VW?

Yes I did receive about a $10 late fee, which is why I contacted the dealer in the first place to see what was going on. The next day I received the Lease-End statement showing a $0 balance.

All of this is coming directly from the Dealer, I might add.

Everything is fine on the VW Credit side. My old car was paid off and the new one is as agreed upon at lease signing.

So, I guess they just did not pay VW for 1+ month and payoff amount probably changed. But it is their problem. You should have some document from them when they took your car, stating the payoff amount.

If the Financial Company (VW) has no issue with your current lease and your previous lease, with all accounts being settled on their side, then there is literally nothing the Dealer can do to you at this point.

Your responsibilities ended when VW Financial received the payoff and cleared your balance to 0 on your old lease and the current lease is paid for on time. You have satisfied the contract requirements and the sales contract that you have entered, it sounds like the dealer dropped the ball.

I would pay no mind to it, short of them sending a lawyer after you, in which case you should lawyer up as well. They do not have ground to demand anything from you. They took your car and your old lease was paid off. End transaction.

1 Like